Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017's Last Gasp

tnweathernut

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

I think the real big story the next ten days will not be the snow anyway but the cold. The cold will rival or beat the cold experienced in March of 2007, by my research but I could be mistaken!

If we go the way of the 12z UKMET, the semi-stalled low over southwestern Canada is going to make for some chilly days for sure.  The cold will be a story if that verifies.

9 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

I am going off of the GFS, which is an issue sometimes as well, is the UKMET colder than that?

The 12z GFS is cold for almost all of its 16 day panels on WxBell FWIW.  I like the UKMET because it can give a clue for the Euro...and that would suggest very cold air after storm two.  Just looking on the UKMET the slp position and strength supports your argument.  I would have a tough time finding a warm wx model after these storms.   Its temp maps go to 72 hours while its 500 maps go to 144.  So, I am extrapolating from the 500 maps.

Not sure if you have this link.  I like classic mode.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/forecast-systems.php?lang=en&map=na&run=12&mod=ukmet&stn2_type=prog&date_type=dateo&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest

Storm 1...12z Euro.  Southern TN still sitting in a nice spot.  Like I said, if it is not going to snow here, hopefully our southern forum areas can score some rare, late season snow.  The southern periphery of these northern stream systems is always sketchy like Mr Bob stated earlier.  Hopefully, this works out for folks there.  Like I said, want to see somebody in the forum area score some snow.IMG_0527.thumb.PNG.3f256f6e661dcda5b5796d10cca74719.PNG

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z GFS is cold for almost all of its 16 day panels on WxBell FWIW.  I like the UKMET because it can give a clue for the Euro...and that would suggest very cold air after storm two.  Just looking on the UKMET the slp position and strength supports your argument.  I would have a tough time finding a warm wx model after these storms.   Its temp maps go to 72 hours while its 500 maps go to 144.  So, I am extrapolating from the 500 maps.

Not sure if you have this link.  I like classic mode.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/forecast-systems.php?lang=en&map=na&run=12&mod=ukmet&stn2_type=prog&date_type=dateo&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest

Thanks for the links! I used to have a subscription through WeatherBell but let it lapsed as I am still frustrated with JB!

6 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Storm 1...12z Euro.  Southern TN still sitting in a nice spot.  Like I said, if it is not going to snow here, hopefully our southern forum areas can score some rare, late season snow.IMG_0527.thumb.PNG.3f256f6e661dcda5b5796d10cca74719.PNG

Yeah that was not a bad run for the southern portion of the state.  That system off of the North Atlantic Coast is something else!! 

36 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Yeah that was not a bad run for the southern portion of the state.  That system off of the North Atlantic Coast is something else!! 

Goes sub 970 off the coast off Maine.  Big totals are right to the spine of the Apps and extreme NE TN. The strengthening slp runs from Savannah to Hatteras.  Prob 50-75 west of 0z. Precip shield is more expansive.  IMO the models are only now getting a handle on this.  The earlier the phase and the stronger the storm...the more west it pulls.  I try not to post Euro maps, but just too good not to look at. (Mods feel free to pull it if it is out of bounds)

IMG_0536.thumb.PNG.251033b2f576a48cd76247463d1a2d8d.PNG

41 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Bizarre run, rain to the north and south of a band of heavy snow, that arrives much earlier than prior model runs. The ptype map shows heavy rain over Southern KY but the sounding forecast shows snow as the ptype. The qpf map shows nothing reaching the surface under the heavy radar echo. 

Yeah John. Looks like it doesnt agree with itself; mixed up , lol.  Not saying it's not gonna be right but, one notable fault with the Nam is it's underproducing precip(I know it tends to have a wet bias for much of the east U.S., though) for your and my area, as you noted last night regarding that rainfall. All models to some degree under do precip amounts here in Lee county 90% of the time. Wound up with .77" here from last nights system while models forecasted about half that.  As far as this system, I would say we will get the shaft as south track is pretty set I think. Unfortunately, I think we will from the big one too. Hopefully the initial lp coming thru MO will take a further south track and the we could be in business without getting much from the coastal bomb.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived