Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017's Last Gasp

tnweathernut

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rbowman said:

If the models continue wild swings today, the only way to call this will be a now cast watching radar returns and upstream reports.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Definitely a now cast storm. I think a narrow band of heavy snow will set up and whoever is under it could get pummeled. Could move out too fast for that though 

Wild swings...not sure I would call it that. It is a narrow area of focus so little things are impacting each run. But we are not talking about 200 mile swings on this. 

We are getting into a bad climo period for non-dynamic snow, and we are counting on a sagging cold front to bring us almost just in time cold air here in Chatt. This is fraught with peril and yes it will likely come down to a nowcast for those without elevation.  This is not the most favored look for Chatt, but it has been mostly persistent. I would be more confident in Knox if the moisture is there. Recently, in these situations, the precip shield has filled farther north and covered NE Tennessee in the final runs before showtime. 

I'd hate to be a forecaster in the midlands of SC looking at that NAM output. It's such a narrow and intense band of accumulation. Really brings to mind the heavy early season lake effect streamers of snow that can affect upstate NY. Totally different dynamics at play, but the end result is similar.

20 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Wow. A little harsh and condescending, are we? Definitely not implying the forum revolves around BNA. Might want to work on your phraseology.

*Blocked*

If you think that's harsh then you need to grow a pair little guy.  Condescending would be you telling me that what I posted was not a better look statewide either.  This forum is about sharing information with everybody, not telling someone what they posted was wrong.

53 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

If you think that's harsh then you need to grow a pair little guy.  Condescending would be you telling me that what I posted was not a better look statewide either.  This forum is about sharing information with everybody, not telling someone what they posted was wrong.

This forum prides itself on good discussion and no bickering...both of y'all either report the post or ignore it but don't get in a contest here as you will be on the sidelines for this event.

15 minutes ago, Mr Bob said:

This forum prides itself on good discussion and no bickering...both of y'all either report the post or ignore it but don't get in a contest here as you will be on the sidelines for this event.

I think the real big story the next ten days will not be the snow anyway but the cold. The cold will rival or beat the cold experienced in March of 2007, by my research but I could be mistaken!

I think wave one, unless the Euro throws us a line, is on shaky ground.  The 12z UKMET certainly has an interesting look w a 999mb low siting over DELMARVA.  How we get there is important and Ukie time increments leave it open for an educated guess.  Looks like a slp over Missouri and the north central GOM phase along the EC.  Now that the energy has been sampled...looks like that is the solution.  At this point we want an earlier phase of system 2 and the system in the northern branch dig deep and a bit more most for that to happen.  If the coastal is strong, that will also pull it westward.  We need a stronger storm than 999.  After it passes it gets pulled inland over New England/southwest Canada and then stalls. Looks to me like that would set up an upslope snow event for favored areas.  What we need to pull for is an overperforming first wave followed by a coastal that goes inside Hatteras(it may do that...but just guessing it looks to go over it).  The GFS at 12z looked too weak w the second feature.  I suspect this may go into the low 990s or sub...just a guess.  If so, it may have some room to pull back west 100 miles or so.

IMG_0524.GIF

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived