Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017's Last Gasp

tnweathernut

14 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

I'm noticing a disturbing trend of lower precip amounts on the GFS across the valley. This coupled with the lower amount of the Euro really has me concerned. At 500mb I'm noticing that the shortwave is getting stretched out and more positive tilted as it moves through the area. Something to watch for as the 12z runs roll in.

After last night I was almost sold on the Euro improving for us with the NAM, CMC, and GFS going for us. I couldn't have been more wrong. Firstly I wonder how significant the increase in accuracy is once on land. Secondly, I wonder if the GEFS and GFS weakening is just a blip or a downward trend agreeing to the Euro. Thirdly, When exactly does the system make landfall and on which run could we expect theses changes?

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a fairly decent event for somebody in the forum area to score.  I don't trust the NAM.  It has a bias of being too amped.  That could actually push the precip axis north and overdo amounts.  The Euro seems too weak...but given the Euro vs the field, I would usually take the Euro.  It is not what it used to be though.  Some of the high resolution NAM runs at 3k and 4k do show that weak precip shield...but IMO they are almost too finely tuned.  Right now we are looking for trends on the 12z guidance.  We are almost in the range of the RGEM.  The energy will be sampled better today.  How long does it take the new data to get into the models?  Not sure.  Some energy is sitting in the northern Rockies as we speak.  The lion's share begins arriving in a couple of hours and will take about 24 hours to get all of it over NA.  So, I suspect some minor tweaks will be on tap,  I also suspect the cold air will be overmodeled as hit has been for months.  That means the precip axis will reach a southern terminus at some point on modeling.  Then, as models adjust to the cold potentially not making it as far forecast...the axis rebounds a short wobble northward.  Still, no matter the wobble....looks like a good chance for some folks in the forum area to score some bonus snow.  Personally, I am rooting for southern locals of the forum area if the trend southward continues.  

@72 and 78...the system has less energy near the coast or it may be slower by a hair.  Pretty consistent run compared to 12z.  Southeast (edit) TN gains some QPF and southwest VA loses some.  SW VA prob loses a bit as the slp does not gain that smidgeon of latitude that it does on 6z just as it passes to our south towards the coast.

1 minute ago, *Flash* said:

Apparently, Paul Heggen (WSMV) is going with the RPM which puts most of I-40 (at least in middle Tennessee) under 1". I don't blame him for siding with that model for now. Still, perhaps some of you better understand the nuances with the RPM. Skew-T profiles coming off the 12z GFS suggest it won't take much dynamic cooling for initial rain/mix to switch to snow; however, the RPM keeps I-40 and points south mostly rain apart from a few hours of light snow on the tale end. Between 54 & 60, I just don't get that vibe. I know it's easy to use 40 as a line of demarcation, but it seems more evidence points to this being a northern 3/4th's special, not a northern 1/2 special.

I like Paul. However, the middle TN mets often overuse/overplay the "north of 40" thing.  Sure it works at times, but anybody watching these models run knows there is potentially a much different possibility going on. Even the NWS does it at times if you read the AFDs. 

6 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

I agree. I met Paul at SWAD in 2015 and he's super down to earth. Even if the conservative approach seems like an outlier, more often than not, it works out for BNA (last year being a notable exception). Right now I'm torn if I want to bunker down in Kingston Springs, Spring Hill or Brentwood, but I'll make that call tomorrow since there's still subtle variances in track to iron out.

No doubt the conservative approach is what on air folks should do at this lead time. I just get tired of the "more north and east" mantra that the Nashville mets use. I get that it often works out that way, but they beat it to death even when the models show otherwise. 

Wow at what the CMC is doing in NC!

12z UKMET has energy in the northern GOM that phases w energy in Wisconsin. John, would be interested in your take on this scenario of a weakening first wave followed by a coastal.  Have to think if this is trend...no way this is worked-out on the models yet.  Could we get a phase early enough and just west enough?  I am thinking potential track just inside the coast as this might actually be a stronger storm if real.

IMG_0506.GIF

I noticed a weakening trend with the line of showers coming through tonight and tomorrow morning in modeling over the last couple of days.  It didn't look all that impressive from just 24-48 hours ago. Now I see mentions of severe thunderstorms and heavier precipitation.  This won't have anything to do with what is coming Saturday/Saturday night, but it is something to keep in mind regarding how fickle strengthening or weakening can be from just a short period out.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived