Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017's Last Gasp

tnweathernut

4 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

Colder air will move in behind the front, then models show an upper trough swinging across
the area and a weak surface low moving by to our south late
Saturday through early Sunday. While the system may initially
start out as rain, thermal profiles suggest a quick changeover to
snow after sunset Saturday night. Accumulating snow will be
possible, especially north of I-40 and in the mountains. Areas
south of I-40 may see some accumulating snow, but confidence is
much too low at this point to indicate anything more than a
rain/snow mix. It appears that the last few runs of the GFS and
ECMWF have trended cooler, indicating a better potential for snow
in our forecast area, but there`s still plenty of time for finer
details to change. Keep in mind, this event is still 4 days out.

that's from Knoxville nws.

Can't disagree with anything they said, except it being 4 days away.  It's just beyond three. Maybe they are rounding up?  lol

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the NAM has a bias of being overly amped.  So, sometimes it can be a bit overdone which has led to the coining of a forum phrase known as getting "nammed." As an additional note...during this past winter, models consistently overestimated how far south the cold would get.  In this case (up to now), they have been strengthening the hp which is pushing the snow axis south.  On the GFS, it has shifted the axis from Canton, OH, to the TN Valley.  All of the usual upper south woes still apply...down sloping in certain areas, snow holes, the warm nose, marginal temps, jog north, etc. Time of day will now be important.  If you are lucky enough to have it arrive at night...much better chances of accumulation obviously.  

Just looked at the 18z GFS...appears to hold serve and might be ever so slightly north.  Really just looks like the snow line is about 20 miles north of 12z.  Precip shield looks pretty similar in placement.

Yep, that second piece of energy will have to be watched.  It digs more to our west and sharpens the trough over the EC.  The resulting LP is significantly closer to the coast.  Could add an upslope event after the first wave....it got its act together a bit late, but that is a blizzard for the NE.  That would drive very cold air down into the most of the forum area.  Also, if it gets its act together a bit earlier...changes the narrative.  

• Mr Bob pinned this topic

The level of cold and orientation of 500mb features are pretty much perfect for wintry weather threats for the next 10 days or more. We're dealing with a mid January type air mass with the potential energy of spring systems. It's hard to get excited after the way this winter has gone, but this may be the best month of the cold season if the next 10-15 days work out as well as they look right now. 

Ratio'd NAM really hammers the border areas over to SWVA but has that sharp cut-off south and west.

snku_acc.us_ov.png&key=40d190dc112a08908552a2b6d6d9db5aebcdd7701a5d30b699379f1e09dac6ed

Literally my house is in the bullseye for a clown map for the first time ever. On March 12th after a blowtorch winter. You can't make this up.

I do think that the totals even without the Kuchera method are probably a little overdone on the NAM. Maybe a realistic number would be to take 75% of the 10:1 ratio numbers.

I think we are seeing a locked in solution and I do not see many major changes in the track anyways especially with a strong high pressing down and confluence in the NE. If anything the rain/snow line could move south a little more.

Everything seems to be lining up at 500 just where it needs to be, the ridge in the west is nice, the low in NE means this cannot go north, the flow is straight from Central Canada where temps are in the -30 to -50 degree range. It even arrives late afternoon into the overnight hours rather than arriving at 10 am and trying to snow through the afternoon.

Yes, that snow bullseye is directly over Ol Carvers' house. I will enjoy my fifteen minutes of wx model fame and would kindly like to cash-in my 12-14" of electronic dendrites for the real McCoys.  Thank you.  Thank you.

Best model run ever for us? I'll probably stick that one in the iPad archive. I know that won't happen but I feel fairly confident in an accumulating snow around and north of I-40. We have had 1 full day of fairly consistent model runs which is almost unheard of.

23 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Best model run ever for us? I'll probably stick that one in the iPad archive. I know that won't happen but I feel fairly confident in an accumulating snow around and north of I-40. We have had 1 full day of fairly consistent model runs which is almost unheard of.

LOL.  That and the 16 day 18z GFS/GEFS are going into the archive.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived