Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Why are you rooting for rain in my yard? I thought we were friends. 

What we want to root for is an identical trough axis that digs deeper then closes off just south or SW of us. 

We don't even really need much more improvement at h5, but I'll take it. The weird slow phase and strung out look initially limits it a bit. Get a cleaner phase and this could become bigger here.   Of course one way to almost ensure that would be a slightly better dig/cutoff. So your right. 

This has absolute monster upside though. You have excellently covered the possible bust scenario as well. Interesting days ahead me thinks. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

GFS takes a weak low north of us Thursday into Friday. Verbatim its just mid 30s rain down here while Pa 5-10" but another threat to look out for.

Not with snow cover. ;)

Just now, poolz1 said:

I know a lot will depend on the evolution of the storm Tuesday but that is one nasty vort dropping down thur/fri.

1 minute ago, BTRWx said:

Nice clipper to go with it the following Friday!

Winter about to arrive. Cfs says we will have a snowy season. Lol

IMG_0830.PNG

2 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Bob... could you take screen shot of a panel and put arrows on it to show us.  It is not often we see a triple phase.  I want to see exactly what you are looking at for my own education.

Look at my graphic and then Bob's graphic...You can see the 3 streams when the trough is positive.  Then when it goes neutral in Bob's graphic you can see them almost phase..Looks like the PJ lags slightly too much and trough closes off too late.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Here you go. Polar, NS, and SS all lined up to shake hands. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_25.png

Thanks but I don't see a southern stream in that.  I see the no and polar.  Not questioning but just don't see it.

Edit:  when I go back to about 100 hours, I can see the ss energy.  Cool

3 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I know a lot will depend on the evolution of the storm Tuesday but that is one nasty vort dropping down thur/fri.

I don't think the tues storm is much worry if the vort is as strong (or stronger) than being advertised right now. Sucks that it's still at least 3 days away before we really know what we're dealing with there. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I don't think the tues storm is much worry if the vort is as strong (or stronger) than being advertised right now. Sucks that it's still at least 3 days away before we really know what we're dealing with there. 

Yep and modeled strength of these vorts has bit us in the ass more than once.  Sunday in case anybody has forgotten.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just take it as confirming that Tue will be a KU....That how we roll with most our biggies.  Usually a follow up before the trough pulls out for good.  

Joking of course...

Wow.  I haven't been on here such lunchtime and I had about 8 pages to catch up on!  I've been rooting for the Tuesday storm instead of Sunday since Monday when it looked with a screwed Sunday storm would enhance Tuesday.  And anyway, a weekend storm is a perfectly good waste of a snow day.  I can't help but get excited about the positive trends with the models in the past 24 hours.   I know that most people are pessimistic about getting any snow this winter, and March does make it more difficult, but we don't really have anything to lose at this point (except the cherry blossoms).  

Is there any potential of this Friday's clipper inching its way to Northern Virginia?  I wasn't sure if it was completely gone or if there is still potential in the area. Clippers are so unpredictable and I saw someone mention it moving slightly south.  

Thanks for all the great input!  I've learned a lot about Miller A's and B's... I just call them all "Coastal Lows"!

46 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I didn't get a chance to say more on this, so let me now. You knew it was going to be a better result than prior runs if you clicked on the left arrow where it says "Prev Runs." If you click the left arrow,  the prior runs didn't have the blue shading in the Midwest and South meeting as this run did. That's an easy way to check on a phasings of the 2 streams. In the future,  you should always compare the prior runs and it gives you a decent indication of the model trends.

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I didn't get a chance to say more on this, so let me now. You knew it was going to be a better result than prior runs if you clicked on the left arrow where it says "Prev Runs." If you click the left arrow,  the prior runs didn't have the blue shading in the Midwest and South meeting as this run did. That's an easy way to check on a phasings of the 2 streams. In the future,  you should always compare the prior runs and it gives you a decent indication of the model trends.

For some damn reason, I can't get the 120 hour map to pull up in the link. Go to 120 hours and you'll see what I mean.

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Winter about to arrive. Cfs says we will have a snowy season. Lol

IMG_0830.PNG

I don't take the highest depiction literally, but when they are all predicting a good amount of snow, even when it seems like winter is over, it usually ends up happening. I wouldn't underestimate their reliability... 

I don't take the highest depiction literally, but when they are all predicting a good amount of snow, even when it seems like winter is over, it usually ends up happening. I wouldn't underestimate their reliability... 

CFS snow maps are an OK signal for cold (slightly above dart throwing) but terrible for snow. As you might imagine, the p-type isn't terribly sophisticated

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It was a joke. Those things are clown maps at best. But snowy is better then not and even by cfs standards those are crazy and by mid March standards unreal. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I looked at the 12z JMA and it was similar to the euro but worse with the skip over. But then I saw this day 10 deal and can't resist...lol

P1_GZ_D5_PN_240_0000.gif

Yea there seem to be more threats after this. I'm not really going there yet and it's kinda crazy for the time of year but the pattern still seems loaded going into later March. 

What a frustrating setup but mainly because it's so late. Then again some aspects of it are only possible in a season like this because it is late. 

I've stood with the idea that it will be tough to get through this period without some snow. I wouldn't really rule out accumulation from any of the opportunities, although you can make your own educated assumptions based on how deep they are into the future.  

The third one is the hardest IMO but it's become the main focus obviously. It also has a high end ceiling it would appear. Obviously your odds are better if you are wester and higher and me. Happy hour GFS almost a classic. Root for the southern stream on 0z.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived