joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - March 2017

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I have a feeling that somebody in this forum sees record snowfall, and somebody in this forum gets really, really screwed.

I think we all verify warning snow in our subforum region but it does seem the consensus is starting to favor the entire Sus Valley up into NE PA and beyond for widespread 12+ totals and shifts the focus away from the central counties a bit (JST/AOO/UNV region). The new NAM puts it's intense QPF gradient too close for my comfort back this way. I do think ratios will be better than 10:1 in bands with heavier rates. Not too concerned about any notable mixing issues in our far southern tier... I'm more worried about true central busting low. 

I've also thought this about mixing - I do NOT want to hear those dreaded pingers...hate the sound and the increased visibility is demoralizing.

One good thing about sleet - 12" of snow with a couple of hours of sleet in the "mix" (pun intended) will enhance my snowpack's ability to withstand the March sun better than 18" of pure snow.

So...there's that...

I'm starting to think that west of I-99 (State College) will struggle to get into the double digits for snowfall at this point with these slight eastward ticks. Hopefully this won't bust low here but I think there's a potential for that if it continues.

This has and will be a LSV into NE PA special so a (presumptive) congrats to you guys!

4 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Sure a far cry from double digits. 

Mag You and 2001 you are getting close to missing out.

What else is new lol. Feel silly for getting a little overly excited about this one, have learned to usually keep my expectations low. Oh well, 6" in Mid-March would still be fun if we can get there.

14 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

Thats pretty common with the big ones here...Too far west for the fun stuff (10"+)

But who know what surprises it may hold.

Well, we'll see what the rest of 12z guidance does. After that I'll be paying more attention to the HRRR/RAP and radar trends. We traded the classic miller B we had in guidance a few days ago for more of a pure coastal storm, which fortunately ended up a lot closer to the coast in guidance. The result increases top end accum potential but also tightens up the east to west snow gradient in PA. Instead of a miller B Ohio Valley low transfer solution where a large precip shield would be moving W-E across all of PA including the Pit region, the precip shield and majority of QPF will be from the coastal storm.. which will be attacking from the South/Southeast. And then you play the painstaking game of how far back into PA does it go?

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well, we'll see what the rest of 12z guidance does. After that I'll be paying more attention to the HRRR/RAP and radar trends. We traded the classic miller B we had in guidance a few days ago for more of a pure coastal storm, which fortunately ended up a lot closer to the coast in guidance. The result increases top end accum potential but also tightens up the east to west snow gradient in PA. Instead of a miller B Ohio Valley low transfer solution where a large precip shield would be moving W-E across all of PA including the Pit region, the precip shield and majority of QPF will be from the coastal storm.. which will be attacking from the South/Southeast. And then you play the painstaking game of how far back into PA does it go?

Bands always set up from further west than modeled.   We see it every time.   I wouldn't worry 

Archived