Total Members
    Most Online
    UniversesBelowNormal
    Newest Member
    UniversesBelowNormal
Hoosier

March 10-15 Multi Wave Setup

6 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Hopefully in due time. There will likely be some totals approaching a foot in SE Wisconsin. My concern is if a single band converges tonight it may be too progressive to dump much in our backyards. We'll see.

That's another worry, hoping for a stationary band but we'll have to see if it goes through your area or mine :) 

Some hefty totals coming in already..  Not quite 10" here but its all of 7-8"

1000 AM SNOW 1 SE WEST ALLIS 43.00N 88.02W   03/13/2017 M10.0 INCH MILWAUKEE WI TRAINED SPOTTER     TOTAL SO FAR NEAR AURORA WEST ALLIS   HOSPITAL.  

4 hours ago, Baum said:

LOT goes lake effect warning for 5-9 additional. 

And MKX calling for 9-15" total, including overnight snowfall.  MKE has had 0.30" of liquid in the past 3 hours, currently SN+ with 8" on the ground.

KMKE 131452Z 15008KT 1/4SM +SN BKN005 OVC010 M02/M04 A3023 RMK AO2 SLP246 SNINCR 1/8 P0009 60030 T10171039 53003 RVRNO

Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha-
Including the cities of West Allis, Wauwatosa, Greenfield,
Franklin, Oak Creek, South Milwaukee, Cudahy, Racine, and Kenosha
943 AM CDT Mon Mar 13 2017

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM CDT TUESDAY...

The National Weather Service in Milwaukee/Sullivan has issued a
Lake Effect Snow Warning...which is in effect until 1 PM CDT
Tuesday. The Winter Weather Advisory is no longer in effect.

* TIMING...Periods of snow, heavy at times today into Tuesday
  morning.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...An additional 5 to 8 inches is expected,
  bringing the storm total to 9 to 15 inches by Tuesday afternoon.
  The snow will be dry and powdery inland, possibly a bit wetter
  toward the lake.

* WINDS / VISIBILITIES...East winds 10 to 15 mph becoming
  northeast this afternoon. Gusts up to 20 to 25 mph near Lake
  Michigan. Areas of blowing snow and drifting snow especially
  near Lake Michigan. Significant reductions in visibility will
  occur in the heavier lake effect snow showers.

* IMPACTS...Plan on very difficult driving conditions today into
  Tuesday morning.

I didn't think this quiet, and uneventful winter was going to go away quietly, or uneventfully...... 

Caught the LE snow warning.  Going to be an interesting  24-36 hours.  However, for those wanting some Spring... Fear not!  Temps climb to the mid-50's a week from now.  I would imagine most of this snow will be gone by then, at least around here. 

first day of sun and 35 will melt half it, following day will knock out the rest.  By weekend we'll be mostly bare.   Then its all about planting grass seed and getting some natural fertilizer and snow dumps in april :)

Good portion of the MKE CWA seeing LES.

Guidance actually brings the LES down towards RFD, FEP and cyclone later. I've seen it get as far inland as RFD/DKB before, but to near the IA border is crazy.

2vnf79h.png

SREF plumes indicating a mean of around 8.5" for YYZ once you pull the outliers. About 11.5" for YHM. 

Thinking 6" should be a lock for YYZ.

Been getting those tiny rime flakes for the last few hours here but hasn't amounted to much more than a dusting so far. 

19 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

March sun isn't doing a lick either.  Its about as optimal as you can get for mid-march

Makes sense with heavy snow there, here we have barely over an inch at my place.

52 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

After 09z it looks like the LE band gets a shove south through southern Chicago.  Parks pretty close to Hoosier's back yard around daybreak tomorrow.  3km NAM has him pretty close to 0.3" precip by the time it shoves east again.  

It's anybody's guess as far as how it plays out with duration.  I'm reasonably confident in 3-5" here even if the band is fairly transient, but hoping it pulls a 1/21/2014. Might be too much to ask. :P

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's anybody's guess as far as how it plays out with duration.  I'm reasonably confident in 3-5" here even if the band is fairly transient, but hoping it pulls a 1/21/2014. Might be too much to ask. :P

Haha, good luck.  No matter what it will be entertaining, as it will likely snow quite hard there as the band passes through.  Just a matter of if it stalls or not.

Melting quite a bit here now.  Very bright out with some dendrites still fluttering down.  Rain gauge has measured 0.02" as the snow melts inside the funnel.

03/02/09 Please

Lull here last hr.   See what the LES brings..  Before going in - I always count on every LES situation to bust.   I honestly don't know whats going to transpire.    Could be a inch or less or 10+

2 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

03/02/09 Please

Lull here last hr.   See what the LES brings..  Before going in - I always count on every LES situation to bust.   I honestly don't know whats going to transpire.    Could be a inch or less or 10+

That's part of the fun of LES. But let's be honest... more often than not these events don't work out as expected on this side of the lake. They can work out though... especially with a bomb on the east coast.

Fired up the cam for the first time this "winter": http://ustre.am/16Txc

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Haha, good luck.  No matter what it will be entertaining, as it will likely snow quite hard there as the band passes through.  Just a matter of if it stalls or not.

Melting quite a bit here now.  Very bright out with some dendrites still fluttering down.  Rain gauge has measured 0.02" as the snow melts inside the funnel.

Even a 3-6" type deal in northwest IN would be one of the better March LES events in the area since 1998.  Of course the synoptic storm that preceded (March 9) was just a little bit better than this one. 

7 minutes ago, tuanis said:

That's part of the fun of LES. But let's be honest... more often than not these events don't work out as expected on this side of the lake. They can work out though... especially with a bomb on the east coast.

Fired up the cam for the first time this "winter": http://ustre.am/16Txc

There's a definite correlation there.  Actually a good way to narrow down a search of past events... look for an east coast low.

Banana PalmBoy is going to need a new pair of shorts...  Training over Mt Saukville...  I hope its record setting..he deserves it. 

4 to 5 over here..roads are already melting ...  clearing to the north.  Season should end up pretty much near normal (snowfall amts) if no other big snows fall between now and summer.

Here's an unmodified sounding over southern Lake Michigan later.  Moisture extending up through 700 mb. 850 mb temps around -15C, leading to delta T in the upper teens to around 20C.

hrrr_2017031314_018_42.25--87_26.thumb.png.d349c4c8f46d5ed63bbbfffadcedf757.png

13 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

My storm total snow is 4.6 inches with a liquid total of 0.40".

Sucks the late night snow didn't deliver there.  Figured you'd make a legit run at 6".  You can definitely tell the areas that benefited from some of the higher ratio meso bands.  Several reports of 6"+, particularly north of I-80 in Iowa.  Lowden just came in with 7.8".  Guessing DVN will have come close to 7" based on the 5.8" from 12z.  Finished with 4.7" here.  Still could add a tenth or two later on if the LE stuff moves through.  

Measured 2.2" here, giving us the "biggest" snowfall of the entire winter season 2016-2017, beating out 1.5" from February 9th. 

Roads are are just mainly wet, with some minor slop in turn lanes, that's about it. Radar indicating things are about done here. 

Getting a steady LES streamer off of Lake Erie for the past few hours cutting through Windsor and down town Detroit.    At home an inch,  the city closer to 4. 

I can't recall such an influence on lake Erie on snow here ever before.  I wonder if the trend will continue as the winds shift off of St Claire near the end.