Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 10-15 Multi Wave Setup

Hoosier

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Might be sitting pretty up here for a little while. The conveyor appears to be setting up per earlier hi-res models. Looping the 96-frame COD radar is great for watching the evolution of this coming together. Let it snow.

You're in a great position now. Next part of the LES "snake" should hit me

13 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Only a matter of time until you get in on the fun. Stacking flakes fast. Can you tell where Pepe Le Plume is based on traffic?

IMG_0265.PNG

Getting nicely dumped on by the east edge right now (I'm basically .05 miles away from I-294 in Northbrook)

2 minutes ago, tuanis said:

LOT radar has been a mess for weeks. Two tornadic severe setups in late feb/early march and the radar was down.

Just measured 4.25" new snow in past two hours. Gangbusters out there. Here's a crappy cell phone pic of current rates.

8C573FB4-1C63-4CB7-B518-33610C49C55EL0001.jpg

Very nice!  You can tell it's really dumping there in that pic.

33hr time lapse from around 9pm last evening until near sunset tonight.  Snow depth peaked shortly before midday at around 4.5", and then melted/compacted back to around 2" by late afternoon.  This was with temps that never made it above freezing.  At the tail-end of the vid the lake effect snow was just rolling in.

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

33hr time lapse from around 9pm last evening until near sunset tonight.  Snow depth peaked shortly before midday at around 4.5", and then melted/compacted back to around 2" by late afternoon.  This was with temps that never made it above freezing.  At the tail-end of the vid the lake effect snow was just rolling in.

Awesome time lapse! 

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

It has made it as far west as I have ever seen, closing in on Iowa City now, and likely will make it into NW. Missouri.

And as you mention, it's definitely impressive with a ENE wind. Feeds off of Huron and Erie are helping though.

Have you ever seen lightning on that side of the lake like what is showing up on Radarscope right now?  NW Missouri would be something to behold, we'll see if it can get there.  Impressive that Cyclone is getting legit accums near the Quad Cities.

54 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

VCP 31 uses a longer pulse which is supposed to improve sensitivity.  With such heavy precip in these bands I'd rather have it in VCP 212 and get the rapid scan/super-res. 

I think they are going with VCP 31 because it isn't as hard on the radar and something like lake effect snow doesn't need rapid scan mode compared to severe weather. Considering the issues they have had with LOT's radar, I don't blame them in this case.

Have you ever seen lightning on that side of the lake like what is showing up on Radarscope right now?  NW Missouri would be something to behold, we'll see if it can get there.  Impressive that Cyclone is getting legit accums near the Quad Cities.

Not that I can recall.

Has happened in NW Indiana though, not surprisingly.

Archived