SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 10-15 Multi Wave Setup

Hoosier

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gfs set up for next week reminds me of Jan'96.   Leaving that weaker secondary low over the eastern OV while the coastal cranks.  Creates a conveyor belt of precip back over the mountains.    The main difference is the '96 storm was a lot slower helping enhance the precip transport.    

Loved that storm because it was a complete surprise snowstorm for us.

4 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

It is nothing like 1996. More like March 1971 or 1992. The positive tilted trough isn't allowing for a overly impressive system right now. Who knows if that lasts.

96 closed off and was slower.  As far as 96 being impressive....that had everything to do with it's speed...or lack there of.  It was only a few mb stronger than the coastal that the gfs is showing.   '96 was 992 off the delmarva and then dropped to 984 off the new england coast, nice but there have been many stronger noreasters with less snow...and many stronger noreasters that didn't give us a flake.

The ukie and the ggem don't want to play ball with the more amped up gfs....that's a big red flag.   You'd expect one of those models to sniff out an amped up storm by now.    Me thinks the gfs might be mess'n with us. 

Fine with that too, big storm or nothing.

As it stands right now northern IL would look to be in line for 2-3" from a long duration type snow from the 2nd wave.  With how abysmal the models handled the first wave I'm not going to hold my breath.  Seriously wouldn't be surprised if this one dissolves before our eyes in the next several runs lol.

Interesting forecast with both system snow and lake enhancement/LES snow for northeast IL Sunday night through Monday and into Tuesday.

Really need the ejecting wave to amplify as much as possible before getting into the Midwest and have the wave over the northeast exit stage right in a hurry to allow for that amplification. There are ways this can become a good event but we aren't there yet. 

The ukie and the ggem don't want to play ball with the more amped up gfs....that's a big red flag.   You'd expect one of those models to sniff out an amped up storm by now.    Me thinks the gfs might be mess'n with us. 

NAM seems to be in line with GFS. Euro has been bad this winter with these clipper type systems so my money is on GFS/NAM right now.

What's the latest Euro showing for the Monday-Tuesday system? Anyone?

If it was a match.com profile,  the pic would look like Rosie O'Donnell when the alarm clock goes off.

It's bad.   Lots of space between the coastal and the northern piece.   So light snow to about Chicago, then a huge hole of craptastic until the MA.  It's nothing like the GFS, closer to the uk and ggem but still quite a bit different.

Have no idea why I'm being pulled into this when I know it ain't gonna end pretty.  I think it's tax preparation procrastination.

36 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Sampling or or no sampling, we all know the outcome here. The GFS is NOT scoring a coupe. 

Couldn't agree more... just saying until the sampling is done we always have a hail mary in our back pocket especially when there is a wave directly in front of the one we're interested in. Also there is some uncertainty when it comes to transferring energy to a coastal low...(Although we usually almost always get shafted in these circumstances)

Archived