Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem VI

Typhoon Tip

Just now, OceanStWx said:

12z definitely vaporized that southern wave. There could be convective feedback issues, but we don't really know to what degree.

You can bank on there being plenty of convection though.

I always thought convective feedback was more of an easterly thing...like convection running out ahead causes the model to focus on that area of lift instead of where the best upper level support is?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

just to clarify i think it's being too northern stream dominant. why would a southern wave with a juicy gulf connection just vaporize?

Right. I don't think you would get such a well defined feature like that to just disappear in 6 hours like it did at 12z. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I always thought convective feedback was more of an easterly thing...like convection running out ahead causes the model to focus on that area of lift instead of where the best upper level support is?

That is usually the issue when a nice wave hits the Gulf Stream, but when you drag a shortwave across the Gulf Coast you fire off convection back in LA and that can actually pump heights up ahead of it and cause a more westerly track. Now the latter is a more physically reality than the former, so less a feedback problem and more of a monkey wrench for modeling.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Right. I don't think you would get such a well defined feature like that to just disappear in 6 hours like it did at 12z. 

That is usually the issue when a nice wave hits the Gulf Stream, but when you drag a shortwave across the Gulf Coast you fire off convection back in LA and that can actually pump heights up ahead of it and cause a more westerly track. Now the latter is a more physically reality than the former, so less a feedback problem and more of a monkey wrench for modeling.

Thanks.  Makes sense.

Toggling between 12z and 18z the phase seems a little cleaner but still the northern stream does suck that up awfully quick from hr 72-90 on the 18z run.

I see what you guys are saying looking at the 500mb vorticity plots.

4 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

It went over SE MA on that run, not exactly offshore.

It shifted 150 miles east at 0z and 150 west again 12z. I mean not offshore has a 3000 mile goal post.

consistency of the euro is nice. Forgetting about the western limit it was damned good. For us in feb 2013 and again Jan .2016.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It shifted 150 miles east at 0z and 150 west again 12z. I mean not offshore has a 3000 mile goal post.

consistency of the euro is nice. Forgetting about the western limit it was damned good. For us in feb 2013 and again Jan .2016.

Let's skip the semantics with the 3000 miles.  The Ukie has been consistently on shore, and the bottom line is that is not so good for our hoods, as opposed to the Euro, which has been consistently offshore, to be more precise, around the benchmark.

2 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Let's skip the semantics with the 3000 miles.  The Ukie has been consistently on shore, and the bottom line is that is not so good for our hoods, as opposed to the Euro, which has been consistently offshore, to be more precise, around the benchmark.

The Ukie was offshore at 0z. A hugger, but not inland.

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm most concerned about the northern stream interactions at this point. Because of parallax issues, satellite estimates tend to think northern stream waves are more shallow than actuality, especially that stuff coming out of the Arctic. We may see that trend stronger with time.  

Parallax issues ?  ...that's a new one for me...

or, wait - is that similar to the perspective issues they have with fragmented image integrations with intelligence satellite imagery?   that's where they have to sky scrapers right next to each other and because of slight variations in the vantage the buildings look like they are leaning on one another... 

Archived