Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Short/Medium Range Severe Thread

Hoosier

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Mogget said:

I grew up in that corner of UT.  That map does indeed follow the major population centers along the western side of the Wasatch range--called by natives the "Wasatch Front."  There are some very strong wind events to the west and north of that square, but the land use is huge dry farms run by farmers who live some distance away so few actually have homes or buildings and therefore less awareness.  To the east are the mountains, and so some few mountain communities.  There are some significant winds that come out of the canyons though, if the situation is right. Communities to the south are limited by water, much of which comes from smaller wells.  It is windy and cold in the winter!

Cool, thanks for the info!

Good morning all, following the last 3 months of the upper air patterns and the blocking that has been setting up over the northern Atlantic I would not be surprised this will be the year of the Derecho. Target areas should be the upper Midwest through the Great lakes primarily. On occasion during warmer spells where high pressure bulges in from the Bermuda high we may see the primary area shift to the eastern Lakes to the mid east coast states. 

Another factor in this potential setup are the dry conditions that are developing in the northern plains which is a sign that there likely will be a greater possibility of an EML becoming common in mid summer. This will combine with Alberta Clipper-ish type of systems diving southeast.

All in all a decent Summer season starting this June, but keep an eye to the sky.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
421 PM CDT FRI JUN 09 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0405 PM     TORNADO          BEECHER                 41.35N 87.61W
06/09/2017                   WILL               IL   TRAINED SPOTTER

TRAINED SPOTTER SENT VIDEO OF LAND SPOUT ON ROUTE 1 NEAR
            BEECHER LOOKING NORTH.

&&

$$

BMD

Saturday (6/17) looks like a day that could yield a sig severe risk somewhere in the sub-forum, most likely over western sections. Rather potent shortwave trough (18z GFS has a 90 kt 500 mb max with it, which is exceedingly strong for June) showing up on guidance with seasonably rich moisture available. Westerly/WNW upper flow in place as is typical this time of year, etc.

38 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Saturday (6/17) looks like a day that could yield a sig severe risk somewhere in the sub-forum, most likely over western sections. Rather potent shortwave trough (18z GFS has a 90 kt 500 mb max with it, which is exceedingly strong for June) showing up on guidance with seasonably rich moisture available. Westerly/WNW upper flow in place as is typical this time of year, etc.

18Z GFS is pretty damn gnarly for the western portions of the sub

On 6/3/2017 at 8:45 AM, Dubious said:

Good morning all, following the last 3 months of the upper air patterns and the blocking that has been setting up over the northern Atlantic I would not be surprised this will be the year of the Derecho. Target areas should be the upper Midwest through the Great lakes primarily. On occasion during warmer spells where high pressure bulges in from the Bermuda high we may see the primary area shift to the eastern Lakes to the mid east coast states. 

Another factor in this potential setup are the dry conditions that are developing in the northern plains which is a sign that there likely will be a greater possibility of an EML becoming common in mid summer. This will combine with Alberta Clipper-ish type of systems diving southeast.

All in all a decent Summer season starting this June, but keep an eye to the sky.

^^^It looks like this call was money.

16 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Looks to be a another nothing burger here.

Will this thread make page 8 before July :lol:

Last yr only made to a 11 so meh - for another meh season to date.

Season got off to a quick start but most of spring has been mediocre across the region.  Haven't been many days with higher end potential.  I can only recall 2 or 3 moderate risk days (in this sub) and one of them was that February 28 event, but I may be forgetting something.

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I heard about that! Guy had to be lifeflighted to St V's I believe. That downburst had hurricane force winds from BG to Oregon

Yep, I saw the pictures of the golf cart, it did not look good. I relayed a report to CLE but it looks like they decided to go with lightning for now? 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
1034 PM EDT THU JUN 22 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0515 PM     LIGHTNING        5 E HASKINS             41.47N 83.61W
06/22/2017                   WOOD               OH   PUBLIC

*** 1 INJ *** LIGHTNING HIT A TREE AND SPLIT IT. HALF
            FELL ON TWO GOLF CARTS. ONE PERSON WAS PINNED IN THE GOLF
            CART AND HAD TO BE CUT OUT.

Picture for reference:

19366220_1593797810650931_6793211824043396665_n.jpg.3d6726bad6def6f9d0098ee3a58e56d1.jpg

http://bgindependentmedia.org/bg-man-trapped-when-tree-crushes-golf-cart/

Archived