Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Short/Medium Range Severe Thread

Hoosier

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the western edge of that gets expanded west a bit. Favorable frontal timing would support that notion with instability still a question. Though some uncertainty on exact evolution with some suggestion of activity (maybe the "main show"?) along a prefrontal trough.

I would nudge the risk area west about 50-75 miles.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several areas of thunderstorms are possible tomorrow in the Ohio Valley and the Tennessee Valley. CAPE values will be maximized at 1200 J/kg in Kentucky/Tennessee. Some deep layer shear values of 40-50 kt would make this worthy of a marginal risk or slight risk day. Obviously it's not your summertime 2000 J/kg but scattered severe weather reports certainly happen with higher shear values at this time of year.

7vFzDm8.png

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Probably overdone but if this is realized tomorrow is going to surprise some, near Fort Wayne at 00z

2017100618_NAM_030_41.32,-85.2_severe_ml

That's not half bad.  Certainly seems better than previous runs.  It would get interesting if CAPE can approach 1000 with these wind fields. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's not half bad.  Certainly seems better than previous runs.  It would get interesting if CAPE can approach 1000 with these wind fields. 

Honestly with the warm sector being pretty open tomorrow I could see 750 J/kg being realized. Especially over Northern IN and NW OH, could be another enhanced pocket closer to Ohio River as well.

This is probably kind of obvious but with the lackluster mid level lapse rates, tomorrow is one of those days that it's really important to try to maximize low level warming/moisture return to have any shot of turning this into something higher than a marginal risk.

6 hours ago, Chinook said:

It's kind of weird to think there could be a hurricane or tropical storm landfall and a (minor?) severe weather outbreak tomorrow night--they will be at about the same longitude, basically unconnected.

Some area of the subforum will probably get in on severe chances and Nate remnants. 

DVN mentioned a threat for brief tors in the early morning disco.  Cape looks very limited, but the strong vort moving in should help make up for that.  Low-level portion of forecast hodos have a nice sickle shape curve.  Can certainly see DVN's concern, especially on the IL side.  

From DVN..

Today`s high-shear low-CAPE environment is conducive for brief
spin- up tornadoes. But this is conditional on storms forming.
Recent hi-res convective allowing models are showing sfc-based
CAPE up to ~500 J/kg, +25 kts 0-1 km bulk shear, +125 m2/s2 0-1
SRH, and 0-3 km shear vectors of 30-35 kts with a decent
perpendicular component to the potential convection.

2% tor added from SEMI to S IN

ADDED LOW TORNADO PROBABILITIES AND CONSIDERED A SLIGHT RISK, BUT   WILL DEFER ON A POSSIBLE UPGRADE TO THE 20Z UPDATE.     A PRONOUNCED MIDLEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS WILL   ACCELERATE EAST-NORTHEAST TO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES THROUGH TONIGHT.   SURFACE CYCLONE OVER CENTRAL IA WILL DECAY OVER THE CENTRAL GREAT   LAKES, BUT A COLD FRONT WILL CONTINUE EASTWARD. A SWATH OF ROBUST   INSOLATION IS UNDERWAY ACROSS PARTS OF IL/IN/OH/LOWER MI BETWEEN THE   WARM CONVEYOR ATTENDANT TO THE FRONT AND A TROPICAL MOISTURE PLUME   PRECEDING HURRICANE NATE ACROSS KY/TN. THIS DIABATIC HEATING SHOULD   COMPENSATE FOR POOR MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND YIELD MEAGER BUOYANCY   WITH MLCAPE GENERALLY BELOW 500 J/KG.  

ASCENT ALONG THE FRONT WILL SUPPORT A BAND OF LOW-TOPPED CONVECTION   LATE AFTERNOON INTO EVENING ACROSS IN/LOWER MI. DOWNWARD TRANSPORT   OF STRONG LOW-LEVEL FLOW SHOULD RESULT IN ISOLATED DAMAGING GUSTS,   BUT THE LACK OF A STRONG SURFACE PRESSURE RISE/FALL COUPLET MAY   MITIGATE A GREATER SEVERE WIND RISK. SCATTERED STORMS SHOULD FORM   WITHIN THE DEEPER MOISTURE PLUME OVER THE OH VALLEY LATE   AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING. COMPARATIVELY RICHER BOUNDARY-LAYER   MOISTURE SHOULD AID IN A COUPLE SUPERCELLS/MULTICELL CLUSTERS   FORMING WITH RISKS OF A BRIEF TORNADO AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS.    

Had a good burst of wind with that initial rain band that just hit.  I was stopped at a red light with the windows down and some leaves came flying into my car.  Sort of hard to estimate for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the gusts were near 50 mph briefly.  Sadly, some of the more exciting "storm" action I have witnessed in a while.

7 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

How do you insert a Twitter link in here... had a post come across my feed that I wanted to share in here.

There's an icon bar at the top of the reply box. The 5th one from the left that looks kinda like a paper clip is the one to use to insert a link.

31 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If confirmed, would be the first October tornado in Wisconsin since 2013.

There is now a storm report for it and a survey for tomorrow.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
641 PM CDT SAT OCT 07 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0500 PM     TORNADO          MADISON                 43.08N 89.38W
10/07/2017                   DANE               WI   LAW ENFORCEMENT

BASED ON RADAR SIGNATURES,LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTS AND
            DAMAGE IMAGES ON SOCIAL MEDIA, IT APPEARS A TORNADO
            DEVELOPED ON THE EAST SIDE OF MADISON, ON EAST WASHINGTON
            AVE AND MOVED NORTHEAST TOWARD SUN PRAIRIE. AT THIS TIME
            IT IS UNKNOWN HOW FAR THIS TORNADO TRAVELED. THERE IS
            ROOF AND TREE DAMAGE NOTED IN THE PICTURES. THE TIME IS
            AN ESTIMATE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE. THE NWS WILL SEND
            SOMEONE OUT ON SUNDAY TO SURVEY THE DAMAGE.

Archived