• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Signs of Spring in 2017

KamuSnow

It's only Wednesday, March 1st, and it's going down to 20F Friday night, but there have been many signs of spring here going back a week or more. Daffodils well up as of last week, groundhog browsing out back this past Saturday, butterfly bushes with (small) leaves, honeysuckle leaves. Today, a couple of rose bushes with growth starting, and actual blooming daffodils across the street, along with a lot of other small early spring wild flowers (and weeds of course). Tonight put it over the top for me - we heard peepers! Ironically the forsythia is holding out (probably due to being in a shaded area).

Now, off to research what if anything can or needs to be done to protect some of this early growth!

I think the writing was clearly on the wall by the end of January that this was not going to be a winter to remember, the long range cold snaps were just that 1 or 2 days at best then weeks of above normal. That had to be the mildest Feb. ever as far as I can remember, now that we are into March and the long range seems to be status quo a couple at or below avg. followed by several above average temp. wise Spring has indeed sprung as far the foliage and plants, heck I saw a guy with his tractor mowing on Tuesday. I guess we could still have that rouge snow that no one expects. 

Yes looking like another early planting season for us.  This will be 3rd time in recent years doing so with only 1 year losing some tomatoes in a May frost.  If things work out this year and I have the energy, may do a 2nd planting of beans.

The one thing I do hate is just when you think you're over winter and enjoying the early signs of springs, the clocks go ahead and you're waking up in the dark again.

9 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Birds chirping at pre-dawn while I take my stroll....it's Spring..

It's Spring about 4 days a week for me. Kind of a roller coaster, and there's some outside stuff I want to do but I need at least 5 days in a row of 50's or 60's. And not 20F 2 days later, please. I've been noticing the spring songs too - nice. (Not today though).

On 3/2/2017 at 7:10 AM, Voyager said:

The tulips in our landscape bed are up to about 4 inches out of the ground, and there is some new leafy growth popping from the mums. The grass is starting to green up as well...

At 8 degrees this morning, I do believe we might have lost the tulips. I'm more of a turf guy and don't know a lot about flowers, so I don't know if they're strong enough to recover...

21 minutes ago, Voyager said:

At 8 degrees this morning, I do believe we might have lost the tulips. I'm more of a turf guy and don't know a lot about flowers, so I don't know if they're strong enough to recover...

Usually the leaves on bulbs come up first so if you just had leaves and not the bud stalks, the leaves would get hit but the flowers might be okay.

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Usually the leaves on bulbs come up first so if you just had leaves and not the bud stalks, the leaves would get hit but the flowers might be okay.

Yeah, it's just the leaves. They're about 4 inches out of the ground, but there's no bud stalks yet. I thought about covering them, but while it might have kept the frost off them, the air temperature still would have been 8 degrees.

Thanks for the reply. :-)

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Yeah, it's just the leaves. They're about 4 inches out of the ground, but there's no bud stalks yet. I thought about covering them, but while it might have kept the frost off them, the air temperature still would have been 8 degrees.

Thanks for the reply. :-)

Even with closed buds, most bulbs/buds are hardy and will survive a freeze (tupils, daffodil, hyacinth). Not sure about sub 15F though....normally doesnt get this cold once buds have popped out of the soil. When they are flowering open buds anything under 32F will destroy them and they (the flowers) brown up the next day. 

Archived