Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 Disco

Bob Chill

22 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Never say never, I suppose.  Sure seems it's gonna take a rabbit from the hat to pull off a winter Nino.

IMG_9058.thumb.GIF.d5a7fdb729baf0c7d6d887464fb15cec.GIF

Though the ENSO forecasts have better skill after broaching the switch from spring to summer I have seen to many total fails to get overly worked up about what they show at this point. Come Sept/Oct will be another story but until then I will keep my expectations in check. For what it's worth I am still thinking positive neutral but we'll see.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

In another month, long range enso models should start painting a decent picture. ECMWF has much better skill scores than the CFS. Warm neutral seems to be the most likely scenario. 

ps2png-atls18-a82bacafb5c306db76464bc7e8

Looks like the ECMWF may be hinting at 2 camps on that graph. A neutral camp or a weak/low end moderate nino camp. Kind of hard to tell though without seeing the individual members.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Looks like the ECMWF may be hinting at 2 camps on that graph. A neutral camp or a weak/low end moderate nino camp. Kind of hard to tell though without seeing the individual members.

here's the mean visually for Oct-Dec

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/charts/catalogue/seasonal_charts_public_ecmwf_sst?time=2017070100,4392,2017123100

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Looks like a central/west based border line weak El Nino though it looks as if it is breaking down as we head into the heart of winter. I could live with a weak Modoki El Nino. :)

I take it they don't have the SST for the northern latitudes? Would be curious as to how the northern Pacific and Atlantic look.

30 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looks like a central/west based border line weak El Nino though it looks as if it is breaking down as we head into the heart of winter. I could live with a weak Modoki El Nino. :)

I take it they don't have the SST for the northern latitudes? Would be curious as to how the northern Pacific and Atlantic look.

Nah, the Euro site has limited free maps, etc., and what you see is all they've got. Maybe someone with a subscription to Euro output can answer that question.

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

The trend has been consistently lower in the long range for at least the last 4 months. Since the best skill 3 months and under, I usually look at that trend and make some assumptions. Right now the next 3 months look flat or declining. I doubt we get anywhere near moderate and even the prospects of weak (by official classification) are unlikely as well. If I had to bet the deed for the house on where we end up I would go neutral without a second thought. 

OTOH- I feel pretty good about saying we aren't going to have a raging +AO/NAO again this year. My guess is that multi-year run is over. 

12 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

The trend has been consistently lower in the long range for at least the last 4 months. Since the best skill 3 months and under, I usually look at that trend and make some assumptions. Right now the next 3 months look flat or declining. I doubt we get anywhere near moderate and even the prospects of weak (by official classification) are unlikely as well. If I had to bet the deed for the house on where we end up I would go neutral without a second thought. 

OTOH- I feel pretty good about saying we aren't going to have a raging +AO/NAO again this year. My guess is that multi-year run is over. 

I'd wait until the Siberian snow cover declares itself before making predictions regarding the AO.  :P

On 3/17/2017 at 1:06 PM, BTRWx said:

I'm sure some of you get tired of hearing "when was the last time x happened?"...but I'm convinced that analogs are becoming a big thing for the future of nwp.  The following chart says it all.  If we go super +enso, we'd (again) be in unseen territory!  No two strong nino events have ever occurred within 5 years of one another.  There were a few moderate ninos squished together with 63-66 and 86-88 from a quick glance, but it's interesting to see the stronger ninos of those years were after the slightly weaker moderates.  Good data from that site! http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

oni.png

On 3/20/2017 at 11:41 AM, WinterWxLuvr said:

I wonder if we see Nino at all.  Each of the high end Ninos in that graph are followed by multi-year cool cycles

On 5/2/2017 at 0:25 PM, WinterWxLuvr said:

Betcha a couple of beers at a Nats game that we end up neutral/slight nina.

These posts are going to win the thread.

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming winter provided we can stay close to neutral.

18 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

These posts are going to win the thread.

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming winter provided we can stay close to neutral.

I'm with you on everything except "I'm excited about the upcoming winter" and I'm leaning weak nino. 

eta: Thanks for the mention!

On 7/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, Bob Chill said:

What accounts for your confidence in this sir?  Hoping you are correct, of course.

Recent NOAA update from the 24th. Really doesn't look promising for those hoping for a Nino. Temps have steadily dropped for the most part in all four regions the last month. The only possible positive I can see is that the warmer anomalies are centered in the the western and central pacific. And that is only a positive if that configuration has a similar influence on weather patterns during a neutral (which looks as if will be the case this year) as we see with a Modoki Nino and I have no idea.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Eduardo said:

What accounts for your confidence in this sir?  Hoping you are correct, of course.

The anomalous run of +ao winters has to end eventually. We haven't had meaningful winter blocking since January 2011. The positive streak we're on is unprecedented since good records have been kept. 

There is really no good indicator to go off of right now to use science to make predictions. Way way too early. But odds favor not having another raging positive winter. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

The anomalous run of +ao winters has to end eventually. We haven't had meaningful winter blocking since January 2011. The positive streak we're on is unprecedented since good records have been kept. 

There is really no good indicator to go off of right now to use science to make predictions. Way way too early. But odds favor not having another raging positive winter. 

i.e. - the we're due index is high

Just now, yoda said:

Define sometime

I can't remember the last true crippling ice storm.  Ice storms seem to be over modeled and underperform big time...usually it's like <0.15" of ice on sidewalks.  As far as paste bombs...the last one I can remember is Jan, 2011 (commuteageddon).

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

I can't remember the last true crippling ice storm.  Ice storms seem to be over modeled and underperform big time...usually it's like <0.15" of ice on sidewalks.  As far as paste bombs...the last one I can remember is Jan, 2011 (commuteageddon).

ice storm yes, paste bombs there have been a few of since commuteageddon in 2011

Nino look continues to slip. This is far from a building nino and the trend is backwards:

anomnight.7.27.2017.gif

The one bad thing that stands out is the -PDO. And a pretty stout one at that. If we have enso neutral and a -PDO, blocking will be a requirement to have a decent winter. 

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Nino look continues to slip. This is far from a building nino and the trend is backwards:

anomnight.7.27.2017.gif

The one bad thing that stands out is the -PDO. And a pretty stout one at that. If we have enso neutral and a -PDO, blocking will be a requirement to have a decent winter. 

Yeah, I think the Nino idea is a goner.  Someday the stats after a strong Nino might yield but it sure looks like they will hold this go around.

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think, strictly enso wise, 67-68, 74-75, 84-85 are the best matches.  No idea what those winters were like here.

Three very different winters.  1967-68 was a 40" snow season in this area with big totals in Nov, Dec, and Mar.  1974-75 was an average snow season without any notable temp extremes.  1984-85 started mild, had a record cold snap in January and finished with below normal snowfall and record warmth by late February.

14 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Three very different winters.  1967-68 was a 40" snow season in this area with big totals in Nov, Dec, and Mar.  1974-75 was an average snow season without any notable temp extremes.  1984-85 started mild, had a record cold snap in January and finished with below normal snowfall and record warmth by late February.

Ok.  Given this info, I'm going with 67-68 as my top analogue.

12 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Updated Canadian long range is out (8/1 run.) Dec is so-so, Jan is a torch, and Feb we rock (relatively speaking.) Bob, take it from here my friend....I'm on vacation.  

EDIT: More I look at it,  the more meh worthy it becomes. 

Good Lord....not another backloaded winter.....MEH is right.

We wait..........

Hope ya'll are having a great summer.

Nut

Archived