Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 Disco

Bob Chill

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Betcha a couple of beers at a Nats game that we end up neutral/slight nina.

I won't bet against a neutral in general. Going back to a mod or strong nino would really defy previous progressions going back many years. One standout would be 63-64 through 65-66. That's the only nina sandwiched by 2 ninos I can find that happened post 1950. 65-66 was a pretty good J-F snow year too so I'll hug that for now. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Really backing down from the strong El Nino it had a few months ago with it now showing a very weak or even a neutral look. Some fairly decent spread with the members so would not be surprised if we see this bounce around over the coming months. 

Yea, this is a terrible time to set expectations for enso events. It could easily back down through the remainder of spring and then ramp up again as we approach fall. I don't have any expectations other than a neutral is probably the most likely outcome but anything is possible. 

Unfortunately we have a habit of stringing together dud or below climo winters. If I had to make a call I would go sub-climo again. It's a pretty easy call honestly. 

53 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I won't bet against a neutral in general. Going back to a mod or strong nino would really defy previous progressions going back many years. One standout would be 63-64 through 65-66. That's the only nina sandwiched by 2 ninos I can find that happened post 1950. 65-66 was a pretty good J-F snow year too so I'll hug that for now. 

My thinking as well.  There's not a single example since 1950 of a Nino that reached at least +1.5 that wasn't followed (once it fell below 0) by a multi-year Nina that ranged from near neutral on the neg. side all the way to a strong Nina.

At this point, I'd be surprised if we end up on the + side at all.

Neutral transitioning to a developing weak Nino during the fall months and sticking around for at least first half winter is my expectation. 

That is mostly based on very recent beer induced thinking, but it seems plausible based on modeling in general and most "expert" discussion. And I want it to be the outcome, so thats that.

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Neutral transitioning to a developing weak Nino during the fall months and sticking around for at least first half winter is my expectation. 

That is mostly based on very recent beer induced thinking, but it seems plausible based on modeling in general and most "expert" discussion. And I want it to be the outcome, so thats that.

I'm gonna go with the past stats.

33 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

For what it's worth it sounds as if Bastardi is leaning towards a weak to maybe just touching moderate, Modoki El Nino this year.

Shocker.  Epic winter blocking also no doubt.  

On 5/9/2017 at 7:12 PM, WxUSAF said:

Shocker.  Epic winter blocking also no doubt.  

You were saying? Per Bastardi on Twitter. And to be fair he just posted it and didn't say anything about believing it.

February isn't too shabby either. If it were to verify it would probably be a wall to wall epic winter for our region. Shame that the CFS is bipolar and basically crap. 

C_gS3MdXgAA6Vhp.jpg

About the only constant I have seen with the CFS over the last few weeks/month has been the idea of a split flow which is typical during an El Nino. Otherwise it has been flip flopping with the general overall pattern. The Cansips has possible slight hints of a split flow on it's latest run as well but what I find interesting is for the most part its overall general pattern over its last few runs is what we would see in a typical El Nino. With higher heights above us through Canada and Lower heights Stretching from the Bering sea down the eastern Pacific and through the southwest and southern portions of the US. Haven't seen Euros output so I can't speak for that but for what it's worth at this point I would think the CFS and Cansips are probably favoring an El Nino episode this winter. 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

About the only constant I have seen with the CFS over the last few weeks/month has been the idea of a split flow which is typical during an El Nino. Otherwise it has been flip flopping with the general overall pattern. The Cansips has possible slight hints of a split flow on it's latest run as well but what I find interesting is for the most part its overall general pattern over its last few runs is what we would see in a typical El Nino. With higher heights above us through Canada and Lower heights Stretching from the Bering sea down the eastern Pacific and through the southwest and southern portions of the US. Haven't seen Euros output so I can't speak for that but for what it's worth at this point I would think the CFS and Cansips are probably favoring an El Nino episode this winter. 

That seems like circular logic.  If the flow is based on enso conditions, and models are predicting + conditions in the Pacific, then it would make sense to see a Nino pattern in the flow.

But what happens if the predicted warming doesn't occur? I don't have access to much in the way of the enso prediction plumes, but what I have seen seem to be trending less and less in the direction of a Ninol

22 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That seems like circular logic.  If the flow is based on enso conditions, and models are predicting + conditions in the Pacific, then it would make sense to see a Nino pattern in the flow.

But what happens if the predicted warming doesn't occur? I don't have access to much in the way of the enso prediction plumes, but what I have seen seem to be trending less and less in the direction of a Ninol

Haven't looked into how the climate models are derived and how the ENSO models play into the equation. So depending on how much or little weight the ENSO predictions are given you may very well be right as far as the circular thinking. Even though the Cansips performed well last winter I don't take much stock in them so have never really had the inclination to look too deeply into them or even to care for that matter. 

The ENSO models have definitely trended away from the strong Nino they had several months ago but they have to be taken with caution until we break through the spring into June and/or July where they will carry more weight. For what it's worth I myself am leaning towards a + neutral to weak El Nino for this upcoming winter. We should have a better idea in a month or so as far as that is concerned. 

50 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Haven't looked into how the climate models are derived and how the ENSO models play into the equation. So depending on how much or little weight the ENSO predictions are given you may very well be right as far as the circular thinking. Even though the Cansips performed well last winter I don't take much stock in them so have never really had the inclination to look too deeply into them or even to care for that matter. 

The ENSO models have definitely trended away from the strong Nino they had several months ago but they have to be taken with caution until we break through the spring into June and/or July where they will carry more weight. For what it's worth I myself am leaning towards a + neutral to weak El Nino for this upcoming winter. We should have a better idea in a month or so as far as that is concerned. 

I agree completely.  Personally, I think we end up somewhere below +0.5.  Past statistics are hard to ignore until an event goes against them.

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

59231796ce93f_CFSensoMay2017.png.e670de71d9207eb3ad3835c80a715aa0.png

Getting close in range to where the ENSO models will have some decent skill on their forecasts. The way they have been trending I am starting to have serious doubts we even see a brief period of weak Nino conditions. JB though is still on the Nino bandwagon and mentioned a warm subsurface pool in the 3.4 region just waiting for the easterlies to break. 

• 2 weeks later...

June and July is when skill starts to emerge with LR enso stuff but the May ECMWF plumes still show a favored weak el nino event. The ECMWF hasn't really wavered that much the last few months.

Latest plumes:

ps2png-atls12-a82bacafb5c306db76464bc7e8 

Current conditions in the EP region is pretty much enso neutral but it wouldn't take a lot of work with the trades to warm the region. A fairly large area of BN sst's in the PDO region going on right now. At a quick glance it looks like the pac is primed for a -PDO/+enso going into the fall. 

anomnight.6.1.2017.gif

CANSIPS looks half decent @ 500mb for DJF both individually and the 3 month average. CFS is going hog wild with a -AO/NAO combo in Dec but trusting the CFS is like leaving a bowl of skittles in a room with a first grader and expecting them not to filch a couple. lol

CFS Dec:

cfs-mon_01_z500a_nhem_6.png

I like the CANSIPS 3 month mean. Dominant +PNA and aleutian low pattern through met winter. CFS agrees with the +PNA pattern as well. The upper level pattern would most likely favor normal to BN temps and probably fairly active with storms in general. We still have 6 months to watch our hopes and dreams disintegrate but for right now it sure looks better than last winter. Not that it takes much to be better than last winter...lol. I'd be fine with a +PDO/+PNA and just lets everything play out. 

cansips_z500aMean_month_nhem_7.png 

11 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

June and July is when skill starts to emerge with LR enso stuff but the May ECMWF plumes still show a favored weak el nino event. The ECMWF hasn't really wavered that much the last few months.

Latest plumes:

ps2png-atls12-a82bacafb5c306db76464bc7e8 

Current conditions in the EP region is pretty much enso neutral but it wouldn't take a lot of work with the trades to warm the region. A fairly large area of BN sst's in the PDO region going on right now. At a quick glance it looks like the pac is primed for a -PDO/+enso going into the fall. 

anomnight.6.1.2017.gif

CANSIPS looks half decent @ 500mb for DJF both individually and the 3 month average. CFS is going hog wild with a -AO/NAO combo in Dec but trusting the CFS is like leaving a bowl of skittles in a room with a first grader and expecting them not to filch a couple. lol

CFS Dec:

cfs-mon_01_z500a_nhem_6.png

I like the CANSIPS 3 month mean. Dominant +PNA and aleutian low pattern through met winter. CFS agrees with the +PNA pattern as well. The upper level pattern would most likely favor normal to BN temps and probably fairly active with storms in general. We still have 6 months to watch our hopes and dreams disintegrate but for right now it sure looks better than last winter. Not that it takes much to be better than last winter...lol. I'd be fine with a +PDO/+PNA and just lets everything play out. 

cansips_z500aMean_month_nhem_7.png 

CFS continues to not like nino chances.  However, not a big believer in the CFS v2.

IMG_8966.thumb.GIF.7f00275ab8cbf6514fdf658f675396c2.GIF

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The Nino dream is probably dying.  Here are comparisons of latest plumes to prior.

Been kind of looking like that for awhile now. We are to the point now where the Enso models should have a fairly good read on where we stand going into the winter. Wait to see what the Euro has out in a week and half and if it shows what I think it will we can probably call it quit for Nino expectations.

Another good indicator about our Nino chances is the fact that Bastardi hasn't posted about it in a while. He has been hot and heavy on a Nino since late winter and kept throwing out counter points to the Enso models as they were going south. The fact I haven't see that recently is probably very telling.

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Been kind of looking like that for awhile now. We are to the point now where the Enso models should have a fairly good read on where we stand going into the winter. Wait to see what the Euro has out in a week and half and if it shows what I think it will we can probably call it quit for Nino expectations.

Another good indicator about our Nino chances is the fact that Bastardi hasn't posted about it in a while. He has been hot and heavy on a Nino since late winter and kept throwing out counter points to the Enso models as they were going south. The fact I haven't see that recently is probably very telling.

No idea why he would ignore the stats.  In the available records, there is no instance of a strong Nino (greater than 1.5) being followed by anything other than a multi year cool period, or at least cool neutral.

Based on that alone, I'd think by winter we have a better chance of a weak Nina than we do a Nino.

9 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Joe D'Aleo is doing his dirty work. I have been getting the past 3-4 weeks weekly updates of the stuff they put out for free, and D'Aleo did a write up on the ENSO predictions this past weekend. Probably still available for free on Wxbell site.

p.s. quit being such a downer WinterWxLuvr.....13/14 was neutral and all of the typical indices looked like carp, but that winter turned out great

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Joe D'Aleo is doing his dirty work. I have been getting the past 3-4 weeks weekly updates of the stuff the put out for free, and D'Aleo did a write up on the ENSO predictions this past weekend. Probably still available for free on Wxbell site.

p.s. quit being such a downer WinterWxLuvr.....13/14 was neutral and all of the typical indices looked like carp, but that winter turned out great

How am I being a downer?  I don't want a Nino.  13-14, 14-15 is what I want.  Neutral, -0.5 to 0.5 is what I want.

If anything, I'm pleased.

Archived