Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

3 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

A couple of radar questions for later por favor:

-- What are the best ways to see the precip type changeover lines on Radarscope?  (I need to read up on this dual pol and correlation coefficient stuff).

-- What is your favorite radar to see the precip types on the computer?

THANKS!

If you are watching on radarscope you can set your loop to be Correlation Coefficient. Using it with regular radar gives you a better idea of where the r/s line is. 

this should help give you an idea how to tell

http://www.weather.gov/lmk/nws_radar_dualpol_rainsnow

http://blog.wdtinc.com/radarscope-identifying-between-rain-sleet-and-snow

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mappy!  While reading up on it I saw that RadarScope's precip depiction uses radar output and actual observations of precipitation type.  That is awesome!

You look safe up there....one of the teachers at my wife's preschool is a huge snow fan who lives in Manchester.  She sends pics when they jackpot (which is frequently LOL).  I was visiting family in Calvert yesterday and they were not optimistic.  Probably a good thing.

Don't come at me with that BS. Read the thread. I didn't say it would come east, but in the envelope of how low pressures actually develop and how convection works in dynamic situations like this a shift east or west in the final track by 25-50 miles isn't out of the realm of possibility. Here, where 95 is literally on the line, that's a big deal.  

I'm a lot of things but I'm damn sure not a wishcaster. 

lolz.  melt a little harder.  

yeah, it was a wish cast.  next time use the 'because' modifier, then insert some science, and it won't be.  'The low might still verify east because...'

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Going to be an annoying day for AA schools tomorrow.  The  impact will be different west to east in AA county more so than any other in the area.

Though since there's been no snow days so far, I'm sure they'll cancel anyway.

Just a guess, but I think they'll cancel because regardless of what happens overnight, whatever is falling in the morning will be snow.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
13 minutes ago, Grothar of Herndon said:

I know this is probably posted somewhere, but just wondering how much snow PSU received from his storm. He gave so much to keep moral up and bring home a good storm for us in this miserable winter. I have a feeling he may have received much less due to warm air invasion. 

He received a lot more than any of us in this sub-forum.

2 hours ago, Grothar of Herndon said:

I know this is probably posted somewhere, but just wondering how much snow PSU received from his storm. He gave so much to keep moral up and bring home a good storm for us in this miserable winter. I have a feeling he may have received much less due to warm air invasion. 

I believe he said 10" or so. 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Just got done installing a new mailbox that a plow took out:fulltilt:.  I was outside for an hour and it's real brutal if you got work out for any length of time. Not a hint of melting anywhere.

Currently 25

Max gust 44 mph

lol. you'd prob be madder if the plow truck never came by..

you can call your county and they will replace it for you, with just a basic one that is.

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

It's all good. I'm used to it . Actually happens very often. That's at least 5 times in 10 years..lol. The county would take to long to repair.  ( bills don't stop coming:D)

lol true that.  i had moco replace mine once that taught me i am better just doing it myself.  

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Just got done installing a new mailbox that a plow took out:fulltilt:.  I was outside for an hour and it's real brutal if you got work out for any length of time. Not a hint of melting anywhere.

Currently 25

Max gust 44 mph

I went for a run late afternoon.  It was 23F and the winds while I was out there for 45 minutes averaged 21mph with two gusts over 40mph.  One of them was as I was cresting a hill running NW and it literally stopped me in my tracks.  The other was when I was running SW and when it hit me mid-stride, it knocked my right leg into my left and I stumbled so bad I nearly fell.  I'm sure I looked like an idiot out there.

My pace was over a minute slower than normal because of the wind and because your bloodflow retreats to your core (away from your major muscle groups) when it's that cold.  When I got home, I could not feel my face and it took 15 minutes for my hands to work again even though I was wearing gloves when I ran.  For the life of me, I don't know why I was the only one out there...

On a week like this, running is the 2nd stupidest hobby.  I'll let you all guess what the first is.

4 minutes ago, das said:

I went for a run late afternoon.  It was 23F and the winds while I was out there for 45 minutes averaged 21mph with two gusts over 40mph.  One of them was as I was cresting a hill running NW and it literally stopped me in my tracks.  The other was when I was running SW and when it hit me mid-stride, it knocked my right leg into my left and I stumbled so bad I nearly fell.  I'm sure I looked like an idiot out there.

My pace was over a minute slower than normal because of the wind and because your bloodflow retreats to your core (away from your major muscle groups) when it's that cold.  When I got home, I could not feel my face and it took 15 minutes for my hands to work again even though I was wearing gloves when I ran.  For the life of me, I don't know why I was the only one out there...

On a week like this, running is the 2nd stupidest hobby.  I'll let you all guess what the first is.

Lol. May have been miserable today, but when it warms up in April, you'll feel the benefits.

Schools here were originally on a two-hour delay for today, for the second day in a row.  Now they are closed.  I can only assume it is because of rural roads covered by blowing and drifting snow.  Drove around the area late last evening and it was a really beautiful scene with high drifts along the roads.

And Bentaleb.
9 hours ago, motsco said:

where do the weather people get their information from?  

do we have a bunch of readers , reading a model then passing on the intel? note how many time locals switched back and forth.

is there actually a media weather pearson that goes outside to look at the sky?

who is in charge of theses cpu generated models that we can subscribe to?  and why did they over rate the storm that the weather tv people over rated?

idk but the house that bob built is a good book.

why did the governor of german town totally dance around the question of how much money that was "saved "  not to have over use salt and brine?  

'who knows.   $ lol.  this sprinter was great.

This is so incoherent that it's quite awesome.

Well done, motsco.

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

But why? What good does a two-hour delay do? That's all I want to know.

I can't speak for all counties, but most of them start school at or before 7:30 so there are kids out waiting for buses and walking in the dark.  When there's snow/ice on the sidewalk, they tend to walk in the street, which isn't a safe combination.  A two-hour delay (and even a one-hour delay this time of year) gives time for the sun to come up.

Having said that, there seems to be little consistency in how they make the decision to delay or close, at least as far as I can tell.  Unless you live in Fauquier county, VA.  They close if it's cloudy.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived