Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

For most though you're still good. May have to take you up on that whiskey sledding!

Yeah, I was never worried up here. I see the r/s line has shifted west. Ugh. Sorry for those impacted.

I see there are a lot of debbie downers in the other thread. I bet most of them live in a more favorable area than I do and I'm still pretty stoked. They have a way better shot than some of us. You never know what's going to happen. I read the discussion from LWX and I still don't know what took them so long to switch to an advisory for this area. I hope Mother Nature has something up her sleeve tonight and tomorrow. Good luck NW peeps with your snow :D 

Can't remember the date but this is starting to remind me of a storm many years ago when leesburg got 7" and it rained inside the beltway. And just so everyone is clear I no longer live in leesburg...I'm now about 15 miles WSW of KHEF. I can basically walk to Fauquier county. Far enough west I think as my longitude is west of my old house....but just too far south. 

13 minutes ago, Ltrain said:

I see there are a lot of debbie downers in the other thread. I bet most of them live in a more favorable area than I do and I'm still pretty stoked. They have a way better shot than some of us. You never know what's going to happen. I read the discussion from LWX and I still don't know what took them so long to switch to an advisory for this area. I hope Mother Nature has something up her sleeve tonight and tomorrow. Good luck NW peeps with your snow :D 

I think that some of their concern is for the morning commute tomorrow when the whatever quickly changes back to snow. 

This storm has been a huge waste of time. I spent the last 7 days tracking a rain storm for AA county. The worse part is were stuck in a worthless cold pattern as spring starts. I'd feel a lot better if the torch was coming back in a couple days. Now we have months of 50 and foggy. Ok.. I feel better. I'm out.

A lot of the times the mixing line will move southeast to northwest over the county. For instance I am pretty much due north of Annapolis by about 8 miles so if it was true east to west than I should mix at the same time but it takes a good 15 or 30 minutes for it to get to my area. A couple times Annapis would mix but I would stay all snow even though I am relatively close. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Models were pretty bad overnight? 

They were actually pretty ok big picture. They held for most part, maybe even a hair better. Literally depends where you are. You are great I think in most scenarios. I may be ok even. Maybe.

changeover line is close, so that's the angst. Really on edge in cities. 

9 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

This storm has been a huge waste of time. I spent the last 7 days tracking a rain storm for AA county. The worse part is were stuck in a worthless cold pattern as spring starts. I'd feel a lot better if the torch was coming back in a couple days. Now we have months of 50 and foggy. Ok.. I feel better. I'm out.

You'll see snow and sleet changing back to all snow. I'm in the same county you are and I've been tracking for 7 days also. No forecast mentions rain, only the precip type maps are showing rain and that is what you are going by. Look at your LWX forecast, mine doesn't even mention rain at all. It says snow mixing with and then changing to sleet and then changing back to snow around 9am and the snow could be heavy at times. The rain you see on the precip map is sleet because it's adding to the snowfall accumulation map. 

16 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

They were actually pretty ok big picture. They held for most part, maybe even a hair better. Literally depends where you are. You are great I think in most scenarios. I may be ok even. Maybe.

changeover line is close, so that's the angst. Really on edge in cities. 

I see it could be a long day for mods then. Thanks. I went to bed before even the NAM was finished running, briefly checked things this morning. 

Here is my analysis. I think it comes south. I think it is gonna be harder than expected to overcome/ erode the the cold air at the upper levels. It's cold. And it is cold northeast, North and west of the storm.

If there were a case for slightly cold verification of the models... this would be it.

Obviously weenie banter as I have no clue what I am talking about.

10 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Here is my analysis. I think it comes south. I think it is gonna be harder than expected to overcome/ erode the the cold air at the upper levels. It's cold. And it is cold northeast, North and west of the storm.

If there were a case for slightly cold verification of the models... this would be it.

Obviously weenie banter as I have no clue what I am talking about.

Wasn't Hurricane Sandy's inland impact mitigated some by cold upper level air?

I would like to see my region in Virginia changed to a winter weather advisory, effective immediately. I will see half of an inch of snow tonight followed by sleet then heavy soaking rain. I will see at least an inch of rain. I can't believe the NWS has not yet seen sense about Woodbridge Va. The low will track up Chesapeake Bay and overnight Temps will rise into the lower 40s tonight in Dale City.

Enjoy the heavy blowing snow in western VA and in western and northern MD tonight through tomorrow night.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived