Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The weeklies are cold straight through lol. Of course it's mostly just cold dreary weather after this week as climo slams the door on us. Too bad this pattern came so late. 

Actually, speaking of April, it looks like Westminster apparently received 37" of snow in April 1901, but that seems impossible based on the temps on many of those days, especially late in the month. Any idea what the deal is?

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Actually, speaking of April, it looks like Westminster apparently received 37" of snow in April 1901, but that seems impossible based on the temps on many of those days, especially late in the month. Any idea what the deal is?

I threw that data out. I think someone entered qpf wrong in the snowfall column with the decimal moved. Note every snow there is exactly 10-1 ratio. Unlikely. They made a mistake. Westminster also tended to measure low compared to surrounding coops. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I threw that data out. I think someone entered qpf wrong in the snowfall column with the decimal moved. Note every snow there is exactly 10-1 ratio. Unlikely. They made a mistake. Westminster also tended to measure low compared to surrounding coops. 

I thought so, it didn't make sense to me. I'm still amazed though at how much it can snow so late in the season up your way.

4 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I'm actually curious about how late it's ever snowed there. I wouldn't be surprised if they had cartoppers in May.

I'm sure they've had. I would be interested in how that area fared in the "year without a summer" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer#North_America

"In Cape May, New Jersey, frost was reported five nights in a row in late June, causing extensive crop damage."

"In July and August, lake and river ice was observed as far south as northwestern Pennsylvania. Frost was reported as far south as Virginia on August 20 and 21."

I don't understand how someone can come in here talking about how much snow they are getting (out of this forum mind you) and get upset when people don't like it. What were you expecting? Snow is too important here for us not to!

Some live in their own special reality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

I'm actually curious about how late it's ever snowed there. I wouldn't be surprised if they had cartoppers in May.

There have been traces reported in may but I don't think anything more. There have been many early April decent snows. A lot of 3-6" type things. And a few 10-12" storms. But they were all the first half. Around April 15 it cuts off realistically. Even in an ideal setup the most would happen after that is mood flakes or slush bombs at 35 degrees.  

As some on these boards may know I am not a big proponent of censorship and of Mods wack-a-moleing posts left and right. I always believed that part of the enjoyment was what when on between the analysis from some of the more knowledgeable posters. But this only works if there is a little self control from all the posters. Without that we have a board that for the most part becomes near unreadable for those of us that step away for a few hours. After spending close to 45 minutes weeding through 12 pages just to get a page or two of worthwhile information I think maybe we all need to start filtering our posts somewhat as to usefulness to the conversation. Not saying shut down all banter, maps, etc... Just tone it down a little.

Well said.

Why not just create a storm thread now and keep it model discussion only (no banter)? We're within 100 hours of this happening (or not ;))

Because both ers-wxman and Baltwxguy told us that the storm isn't happening.  A thread about a storm that won't happen is unnecessary.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived