SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Obs/Disco Thread

arlwx

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see what kind of melting I had at home today. My driveway was a sheet of ice this morning, as the snow blower wasn't able to get down to bare pavement. (I am not complaining, our neighbor cleared the driveway for us, as he does every major snow fall). I'm hoping it melted some, it had to be at least a quarter to half an inch thick. 

20 minutes ago, mappy said:

Curious to see what kind of melting I had at home today. My driveway was a sheet of ice this morning, as the snow blower wasn't able to get down to bare pavement. (I am not complaining, our neighbor cleared the driveway for us, as he does every major snow fall). I'm hoping it melted some, it had to be at least a quarter to half an inch thick. 

I've had very little melting. Any melting that is occurring isn't going anywhere, either, because the ice has blocked all drainage points. All that's happening here is glaciation (ice is sort of spreading a little).

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I've had very little melting. Any melting that is occurring isn't going anywhere, either, because the ice has blocked all drainage points. All that's happening here is glaciation (ice is sort of spreading a little).

I worry about that too. Couple years ago we had water in the basement because the swale we have in the front yard, that our driveway run off flows into, was blocked by ice. The run off went beyond the swale, up against the house and found a crack of some sort. Hoping that won't happen again as we did our best to patch it from the inside, but the crack is below ground requiring way too much excavating to be done to fix. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

We had no melting at all here today. Lots of blowing snow and numerous snow showers all day. Quite the scene. Unreal for this time of year.

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It is amazing to see such little melting on March 15.  Milky over-cast all day has muted the strength of the sun.  Wonderful wintry day.

I agree. Today was the best day of this season. I love cloudy, cold winter days with white ground. Windy and cold out there. Feels like deep winter.

We had no melting at all here today. Lots of blowing snow and numerous snow showers all day. Quite the scene. Unreal for this time of year.

Driveway melted some, but still icy. Walkway and front covered patio are snow covered again from blowing snow.

53 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

One moreIMG_8734.thumb.JPG.76170f60cc1930430a1d78c6442516f7.JPG

Nice pics WinterWxLuvr - reminds me of back home in Ohio too.  Nice drifts and just a resemblance of two lanes.  Farmer out with his JD and loader doing the needy.  Folks doing what they need to do to take care of business without having to wait around for DOT etc to bail em out.  Self reliance the American way...  (noted the Stars and Strips blowing proudly on the right)  Good on ya for sharing.

7 hours ago, RDM said:

Nice pics WinterWxLuvr - reminds me of back home in Ohio too.  Nice drifts and just a resemblance of two lanes.  Farmer out with his JD and loader doing the needy.  Folks doing what they need to do to take care of business without having to wait around for DOT etc to bail em out.  Self reliance the American way...  (noted the Stars and Strips blowing proudly on the right)  Good on ya for sharing.

I like your post.  Got me feeling good this morning.

Quite the winter stretch these last three days - 100% snow cover for  3 days contrasted by blooming maples, forsythia, daffodils, and miscellaneous other early bloomers. I passed a frozen pond on my walk today while flocks of robins congregated on nearby trees. I am torn between wanting this little taste of winter to continue and returning to spring like temps. 

15 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I still have 100% sleetcover even on my south facing hill. If this was an 8" fluff bomb then half my yard would be bare after today. Sleet isn't as sleety as it's been made out to be. 

I really enjoyed the VD sleet storm of 2007. We had 7-8 inches of sleet in Winchester. The parking lot was like a glacier for weeks; you had drive up onto blocks of ice to park. It really does take forever to melt. In a lot of ways, VD 2007 was more memorable then some of the better snowstorms.

17 minutes ago, notvirga! said:

I really enjoyed the VD sleet storm of 2007. We had 7-8 inches of sleet in Winchester. The parking lot was like a glacier for weeks; you had drive up onto blocks of ice to park. It really does take forever to melt. In a lot of ways, VD 2007 was more memorable then some of the better snowstorms.

It is a bit like the inverse of Feb. 06 or Feb. 14 where the melting the day after dampened the enthusiasm for the event.  The week after the Feb. 07 sleet event elevates that one to one of the more memorable "recent" events.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived