SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a personal side note, that 24 hour BTV 800 mb temperature of -33 C is about as cold as I can recall ever seeing that particular level over that particular grid point, in any NAM solution.  I think I maaaybe once saw a -36 C, but -33 C is ... something. 

March 4 too ... I'm not too blown away by arctic chill in March in general...seen it happen enough... But getting less than -30 is rank-able for Marches.   

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

as a personal side note, that 24 hour BTV 800 mb temperature of -33 C is about as cold as I can recall ever seeing that particular level over that particular grid point, in any NAM solution.  I think I maaaybe once saw a -36 C, but -33 C is ... something. 

March 4 too ... I'm not too blown away by arctic chill in March in general...seen it happen enough... But getting less than -30 is rank-able for Marches.   

Yeah... I've been surprised by how cold March can sometimes get.  In recent years we have had several below zero 2m temps in my hood

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It remains to be seen how it verifies sensibly, but H85 temps are right up there with that early March 2007 cold shot.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It remains to be seen how it verifies sensibly, but H85 temps are right up there with that early March 2007 cold shot.

Too bad we don't have good snow cover over most of the area like 2007....we could probably muster an extra few degrees if we did. I think down here, this looks a bit shy of 2007 standards, but further north, it's pretty close.

2007 was also really impressive because it was like 3-4 days worth...it had a solid reinforcing shot as the first round was waning a bit. IIRC, ORH had 3 lows of 0F in that cold shot...which is pretty good stuff for a non-rad site a week into March.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Too bad we don't have good snow cover over most of the area like 2007....we could probably muster an extra few degrees if we did. I think down here, this looks a bit shy of 2007 standards, but further north, it's pretty close.

2007 was also really impressive because it was like 3-4 days worth...it had a solid reinforcing shot as the first round was waning a bit. IIRC, ORH had 3 lows of 0F in that cold shot...which is pretty good stuff for a non-rad site a week into March.

4 days in March 2007, Farmington:

3/6    9   -9   Afternoon high near zero.
3/7  18  -11
3/8   7   -17
3/9  35  -11  Nice March sun once CAA relaxed.

They've recorded only one other single-digit max since 1893, in 1950 with 6F.  The -5 mean on 3/8 is bested only by 3/2/1982, by 0.5F.  (14/-25)

47 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

30-32 dbz.  Not too shabby.  Just didn't last long enough.

Yea, pretty much pure whiteout under this 30-35dbz band. Pretty impressive, but looks too be very short lived. Couple tenths look to be down, coming down heavy still.

This one squall put down more snow than all of March '16 where a very impressive Trace was all I could muster the whole month..ha

Edit: .4"

Winter overall blows in New England now.  It just seems it's not even cold anymore, maybe a few cold shots here and there...but not wall to wall decent cold like the good ole' days, you know? Maybe a January Thaw, sure, but not like months and months of thaw with little tidbits of arctic air sprinkled on us once in a while.  You can throw up your charts and graphs and stuff, but I use my eyes, and winter has mos def got warmer as a whole the last 20 years. 

4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Winter overall blows in New England now.  It just seems it's not even cold anymore, maybe a few cold shots here and there...but not wall to wall decent cold like the good ole' days, you know? Maybe a January Thaw, sure, but not like months and months of thaw with little tidbits of arctic air sprinkled on us once in a while.  You can throw up your charts and graphs and stuff, but I use my eyes, and winter has mos def got warmer as a whole the last 20 years. 

LOL, ignore data and use your weenie anecdotal accounts. You need a weenie tag.

Archived