Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

nominated for most pointless clarification of the year.

which was only eclipsed by even more pointlessness by you - 

Look, that's a conversation - you weren't apart of it.  

Why don't you bother to gather the history/context before saying anything?  

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

MAV is up to 82F for CON Tue. Borderline too hot. 

I don't think I'm getting my 70 at favored locales today - though backyard dandies probably..  

MOS is handling remarkably well under the circumstances down our way - nice.  Typically ...they bust cool by a two to three ticks under superb heating conditions with rising 850s... But perhaps the 'brain' of the MOS is finally starting to get weighty enough. 

Still probably an hour to go but 67 should do it one would think.  

But man...what a fantastic elixir.  Personally I think those warm weeks in February are worse for psyche if/when things turn sour in March... You're really almost better off completely submerged in it -

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Absolutely beautiful right now; sippin' some johnnie walker on the patio and preppin' the BBQ. I was lamenting 6 months of a snowboarding hiatus up until this moment. I say we have a 5 pm high of 70. Perfect day.

ha ha .. I was just bailing on that to Brian.  Funny... yeah, I suppose it's still possible.. we should get the late high provided we mix enough..It's been real calm here today so we have really tapped into I think - 70 would be interesting.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't think I'm getting my 70 at favored locales today - though backyard dandies probably..  

MOS is handling remarkably well under the circumstances down our way - nice.  Typically ...they bust cool by a two to three ticks under superb heating conditions with rising 850s... But perhaps the 'brain' of the MOS is finally starting to get weighty enough. 

Still probably an hour to go but 67 should do it one would think.  

But man...what a fantastic elixir.  Personally I think those warm weeks in February are worse for psyche if/when things turn sour in March... You're really almost better off completely submerged in it -

Yea tip. I think we get a nice spike into the close here with the wind shift, 850's getting toasty and long daylight hours. As you said "perfect recipe".

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

ha ha .. I was just bailing on that to Brian.  Funny... yeah, I suppose it's still possible.. we should get the late high provided we mix enough..It's been real calm here today so we have really tapped into I think - 70 would be interesting.

I've been sitting outside for a while today. Definitely feeling a significant warm up over the past hour. I think we make it.

Made it to 60F so far here. We've got a lot of sfc evaporational cooling going on here so it's tough to get that temp to really soar. It'll probably take all day tomorrow to really wipe the pack out. 60/24 isn't really enough. Low 70s over low 40s dews will vaporize it. 

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Made it to 60F so far here. We've got a lot of sfc evaporational cooling going on here so it's tough to get that temp to really soar. It'll probably take all day tomorrow to really wipe the pack out. 60/24 isn't really enough. Low 70s over low 40s dews will vaporize it. 

Nice.  My VP2 needs another battery and I'm not trudging through the snow to get to it.  I'm down to having 62 days between new batteries.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Well yes it is going down... I was more thinking in terms of the fact that there's 9 feet and 4 inches of snowpack at the COOP and that it will take some time to get that and probably 25" of liquid to melt.  The energy required to remove the snow from the mountain will take weeks and weeks of assault. 

The nighttime temperatures though you reference at elevation will likely be fairly mild.  The valley (say where I live) will be colder each night I'm sure, as it is a lot of the mornings that aren't CAA driven.  Even this morning it was 20F at home and 22F at 4,000ft.  When we get into a warmer southwesterly flow pattern though I can be even 20 degrees colder than the mid/upper slopes...they stay well mixed at 20-30mph sustained while its clear and calm in the shadows of the valley 3,000ft below. 

What will end up happening is 4,000ft will have a high of 50F and low of 40F, while at home I'll do 65/30 or something.  Given normal mixing, my high is usually 15 degrees warmer than the hill and then my low can almost be the exact opposite if the sky is clear.

There is 112" snowpack at the COOP?

Archived