Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Just to be mega-nitpicky, 1st light in Maine varies by season, due to the bearing where the sun rises.  In winter it's Cadillac, in summer it's Mars Hill, near the NB boundary in central Aroostook.  Near the equinoxes, it may be at West Quoddy Head, Maine's most easterly point.  TMI?

GYX has backed off with "most likely" - since yesterday afternoon, I've seen (in sequence) 2", 7", 4", and most recently 5", though the AFD suggests nobody reaches 4.  Seems like the storm isn't redeveloping or something - radar has looked patchy and anemic except for the first little wave this morning, though there's more to the west.  I've no idea what my final total will be, 1"? 5"? dusting?  Weird event.

Pretty big all around model bust on this event, And i mean all the models as far as nailing snow amounts, When the heavier echoes are overhead, It falls as -SN, When it lightens up its -RN or drizzle,

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Pretty big all around model bust on this event, And i mean all the models as far as nailing snow amounts, When the heavier echoes are overhead, It falls as -SN, When it lightens up its -RN or drizzle,

We said this yesterday. This happened up the entire East Coast this winter. First in NC then D.C. Then Philly, NYC, then SNE and now it was NNE turn. You knew last night when we posted it. Models inherently underdid low and mid level warmth 

6 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Appreciate the park recs. Taking notes on those too. We both love to hike around and enjoy peace with everything. Appreciate it. 

Red's no filler style is exactly what I'm looking for. All the MD touristy seafood places ruin what a good crabcake is supposed to be (limited filler and lump crabmeat). The 2 most consistent places on the western shore of the bay that I know of are G&M just south of baltimore and Stoney's in Southern MD. Not cheap but you gotta pay to play just like with all good seafood. 

I grew up crabbing the bay. It was easy in the 70's and 80's. We only kept monsters back then. Nowadays we suffer from the same overfishing as any area along the coast. Last couple years have been real good but we had a ton of duds before that. So much so that I didn't even bother crabbing most of the time. It sucks sweating your eyeballs out in the summer heat to come home with a half bushel of barely legals. Screw that. 

Crab and lobster are very different so I love them both for different reasons. Of course I'm partial to crabs because if I wasn't MD would evict me. LOL. But a hard shell lobster done right is off the chain too. You guys have killer clams too. We only have the basic farmed cherrystones around here. Bay oysters aren't my favorite even though the're plentiful. I prefer the brine of ocean water raised oysters. The chesapeake is brackish so the oysters don't have that salty bite or firmer texture like the ones from up north. 

GD now I'm getting hungry

We are Rangeley "summer people" now, but used to be Boothbay regulars and tamarack's recs are spot on about places to go. Don't bother with a Maine crab roll - the lobster rolls are too good, and I've had a "bad" crab roll more than once in Maine. I think they don't move as much and who knows where the crab itself really comes from. If you do head down to Boothbay, you could check out the Trevett Store for lobster rolls. It's off the beaten path, so you don't get the crowds of the harbor, but a beautiful bucolic waterfront spot. In the same area the Oven's Mouth Preserve is a great place for a walk, with amazing tidal rushes, and like Dodge Point, less crowded than the State Parks.

By the way, I'm not a frequent poster, but I always read and rely on your snow analysis - among the best in the Mid-A forum. Please keep up the great work!

There Rock Crabs up here and lobsterman catch them all the time but send them back over the rail unless they have request for them, They are a PIA to shell and most don't find them worth it, I can get a 5 gal bucket of claws for virtually nothing, But like i said, They are a PIA.

14 hours ago, dryslot said:

After seeing "most likely" numbers of 2", 7", 4", 5" thru 24 hr, we fell short of them all.  :P
Finished with 1.6" of 5:1 paste, though the trees were pretty this morning.  Biggest bust was qpf, as my 0.47"  - mainly snow, some being melt-as-it-fell, and dz - was about half what models and AFDs were showing.  I hope tomorrow's qpf underperforms, too, though its coming with temps not too far above freezing mitigates snowmelt-augmented flooding.

Archived