Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This shows it better. Click the image to ani.

That definitely shows your east flow downslope though. Straight line from the Monadnocks down through ORH Hills to Kevin's massif. 

I think the real key would be does he downslope off NE winds.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That definitely shows your east flow downslope though. Straight line from the Monadnocks down through ORH Hills to Kevin's massif. 

I think the real key would be does he downslope off NE winds.

Union hills are to his NE, so he def isn't upsloping on that wind direction. His best direction actually seems to be SE...that's def an upslope direction for Tolland, but of course, it's not the best wind direction for snow events.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Union hills are to his NE, so he def isn't upsloping on that wind direction. His best direction actually seems to be SE...that's def an upslope direction for Tolland, but of course, it's not the best wind direction for snow events.

Exactly. As he proved by thinking Tolland was Ellington and Vernon, he isn't familiar with the area . It makes sense now all those times he asks if it's sunny or not snowing when it's been ripping or cloudy the whole time. He thought Tolland was 5-10 miles WSW :lol:

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Exactly. As he proved by thinking Tolland was Ellington and Vernon, he isn't familiar with the area . It makes sense now all those times he asks if it's sunny or not snowing when it's been ripping or cloudy the whole time. He thought Tolland was 5-10 miles WSW :lol:

If you just admit Foster RI is as snowy as you are, you'd feel better.

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Appreciate the park recs. Taking notes on those too. We both love to hike around and enjoy peace with everything. Appreciate it. 

Red's no filler style is exactly what I'm looking for. All the MD touristy seafood places ruin what a good crabcake is supposed to be (limited filler and lump crabmeat). The 2 most consistent places on the western shore of the bay that I know of are G&M just south of baltimore and Stoney's in Southern MD. Not cheap but you gotta pay to play just like with all good seafood. 

I grew up crabbing the bay. It was easy in the 70's and 80's. We only kept monsters back then. Nowadays we suffer from the same overfishing as any area along the coast. Last couple years have been real good but we had a ton of duds before that. So much so that I didn't even bother crabbing most of the time. It sucks sweating your eyeballs out in the summer heat to come home with a half bushel of barely legals. Screw that. 

Crab and lobster are very different so I love them both for different reasons. Of course I'm partial to crabs because if I wasn't MD would evict me. LOL. But a hard shell lobster done right is off the chain too. You guys have killer clams too. We only have the basic farmed cherrystones around here. Bay oysters aren't my favorite even though the're plentiful. I prefer the brine of ocean water raised oysters. The chesapeake is brackish so the oysters don't have that salty bite or firmer texture like the ones from up north. 

GD now I'm getting hungry

Spent most of 2 years in Baltimore during the mid 1960s, sort of being a student at Hopkins - had not yet realized that forestry, not meteorology, should be my vocation.  Took away 3 good things:  learned to play lacrosse, experienced a big city blizzard (Jan 30-31, 1966; I think Charles and St. Paul were the only N-S roads drivable that Sunday morning), and crab cakes.  For a nominal fee one could get one at Oriole games at the old Muni, small (size of the saltines included to keep one's hands less messy) but only enough filler to hold the lumps together.

This is the only type of blizzard we have been missing In the NE in the 2000s. Something with 70+mph winds and 3 feet plus of snow. I would think the only storm to effect our area and have a direct result like that was 1888 in western NE and eastern NY. I would love to see an event like that 

I might add Feb. 1978 in RI and E.MA, and Dec. 1962 in the BGR to MLT area.  Not quite 1888 but 60+ winds and places with 3 feet plus.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Spent most of 2 years in Baltimore during the mid 1960s, sort of being a student at Hopkins - had not yet realized that forestry, not meteorology, should be my vocation.  Took away 3 good things:  learned to play lacrosse, experienced a big city blizzard (Jan 30-31, 1966; I think Charles and St. Paul were the only N-S roads drivable that Sunday morning), and crab cakes.  For a nominal fee one could get one at Oriole games at the old Muni, small (size of the saltines included to keep one's hands less messy) but only enough filler to hold the lumps together.

This is the only type of blizzard we have been missing In the NE in the 2000s. Something with 70+mph winds and 3 feet plus of snow. I would think the only storm to effect our area and have a direct result like that was 1888 in western NE and eastern NY. I would love to see an event like that 

I might add Feb. 1978 in RI and E.MA, and Dec. 1962 in the BGR to MLT area.  Not quite 1888 but 60+ winds and places with 3 feet plus.

I grew up part of my childhood in Baltimore too.  Lived there off and on in the 1960's.  I was born in 56.  My father has lots of old Super 8 movies of that Jan 66 blizzard.  Watching them is amazing.  After the storm the winds howled from the NW.  On the movies you can see the snow blowing like a ground blizzard.  Very high winds for that area.....

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I grew up part of my childhood in Baltimore too.  Lived there off and on in the 1960's.  I was born in 56.  My father has lots of old Super 8 movies of that Jan 66 blizzard.  Watching them is amazing.  After the storm the winds howled from the NW.  On the movies you can see the snow blowing like a ground blizzard.  Very high winds for that area.....

We had 6" from 9 to midnight (about 15 total), but when I looked outside at 5 AM it seemed like it was snowing twice as hard, thanks to that wind.  Visibility was down under a city block much of the day, and temps stayed in the teens.  Meanwhile my parents in NNJ were having p-type issues as the storm sucked in midlevel warmth.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah those are all traces.  And why you see a lot of early season "T"s in the records at climo sites...that just means a snow shower moved through that day.

Like when I or JSpin say we've gone 45 days with at least a trace or something like that...just means the globe got shook for some period of time that day.

0.1" is measurable and it almost seems like that's what you've been thinking is a Trace.  

Yeah, I treat it just like PF and Dendrite say – if you see any flakes in the air on that day, you’ve got at least a trace.  I’ve usually got an eye on what’s going on outside the house, but obviously catching every day with a trace can be tough.  My web cam can help if I’m away from home, but there are always going to be a few days that slip through (sort of like if a tree falls in the forest…), especially in our snow globe climate.

For anyone that has a CoCoRaHS site, you can get those types of numbers very quickly; just go to the “Station Snow Report Summary” for your site, and start it from back in September or the beginning of October.  You can cut and paste that data right into Excel and have it count the days for you.  Just have Excel count any days with a “T” or “>0” in the “Snowfall” column and you’ll have the number of days with a trace or greater at your site.  I just did it to see where things stand for our site as of today, and got the following:

Days with 0.1" of snowfall or greater:  81

Days with trace of snowfall:  17

Days with trace of snowfall or greater:  98

That’s actually a few days higher than the mean value I have for a season (93), although right in line with the median value.

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Appreciate the park recs. Taking notes on those too. We both love to hike around and enjoy peace with everything. Appreciate it. 

Red's no filler style is exactly what I'm looking for. All the MD touristy seafood places ruin what a good crabcake is supposed to be (limited filler and lump crabmeat). The 2 most consistent places on the western shore of the bay that I know of are G&M just south of baltimore and Stoney's in Southern MD. Not cheap but you gotta pay to play just like with all good seafood. 

I grew up crabbing the bay. It was easy in the 70's and 80's. We only kept monsters back then. Nowadays we suffer from the same overfishing as any area along the coast. Last couple years have been real good but we had a ton of duds before that. So much so that I didn't even bother crabbing most of the time. It sucks sweating your eyeballs out in the summer heat to come home with a half bushel of barely legals. Screw that. 

Crab and lobster are very different so I love them both for different reasons. Of course I'm partial to crabs because if I wasn't MD would evict me. LOL. But a hard shell lobster done right is off the chain too. You guys have killer clams too. We only have the basic farmed cherrystones around here. Bay oysters aren't my favorite even though the're plentiful. I prefer the brine of ocean water raised oysters. The chesapeake is brackish so the oysters don't have that salty bite or firmer texture like the ones from up north. 

GD now I'm getting hungry

Yeah, i can sit down and eat a whole bucket of oysters up here, The brinier the better, If you want to make the trek, You can go to Acadia National park as well, You can gdrive or hike to the top of Cadillac mountain early morning and catch the first sunrise on the east coast of Maine, Can hike it as well, Make sure to visit  thunder hole at high tide or an astronomically high one, It can be quite impressive as to how the waves crash into the hollow in the ledge.

Thunder Hole in Acadia

Thunder Hole is the place in Acadia National Park to experience the thunder of the sea against the rocky shores of Maine! On calm days you may wonder what the fuss is all about. But wait until the waves kick up a few notches. Thunder Hole is a small inlet, naturally carved out of the rocks, where the waves roll into. At the end of this inlet, down low, is a small cavern where, when the rush of the wave arrives, air and water is forced out like a clap of distant thunder. Water may spout as high as 40 feet with a thunderous roar! Hence the name: Thunder Hole.

Thunderhole.jpg

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The sierras depth gets higher, but gander's snow is almost all pure synoptic...no upslope...theyre only at 400 ft asl.  Outside of the mountains its probably one of the best places for heavy snows and heavy spring snow. 

I said that Gander would take it on the chin but that's a TKO...lol. Snow otg or atleast piles till June?. On a more serious note, If some hvy rain comes into the picture in the next several days, there is going to be some structural troubles for some.

13 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

?  Eddie is the NTV on air met.  He works for our company.  Hes from philly.  Was he on the boards back in the day? 

Ha. Yeah. He had a good weenie stage back in the WWBB days, but he made it over to eastern sporadically too.

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

I said that Gander would take it on the chin but that's a TKO...lol. Snow otg or atleast piles till June?. On a more serious note, If some hvy rain comes into the picture in the next several days, there is going to be some structural troubles for some.

U were right about the first storm.  We got mostly skunked.  That "subtropical" low merger brought in lots of 700 to 900mb warm air.  Gem saw it first...gfs second and the euro last.  

24 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

?  Eddie is the NTV on air met.  He works for our company.  Hes from philly.  Was he on the boards back in the day? 

I wonder if he has recovered from Mar 01 yet. lol

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20010405170659/http://www.wright-weather.com:80/ubb/Forum11/HTML/002691.html

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ha. Yeah. He had a good weenie stage back in the WWBB days, but he made it over to eastern sporadically too.

Lol nice.  

We had a tough week last week with the massive ocean storm that was played up big but it was more rain than snow for the avalon but you win some you lose some.  

#nlwx is very active.  Newfoundlanders love chatting about the weather. 

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, i can sit down and eat a whole bucket of oysters up here, The brinier the better, If you want to make the trek, You can go to Acadia National park as well, You can gdrive or hike to the top of Cadillac mountain early morning and catch the first sunrise on the east coast of Maine, Can hike it as well, Make sure to visit  thunder hole at high tide or an astronomically high one, It can be quite impressive as to how the waves crash into the hollow in the ledge.

Just to be mega-nitpicky, 1st light in Maine varies by season, due to the bearing where the sun rises.  In winter it's Cadillac, in summer it's Mars Hill, near the NB boundary in central Aroostook.  Near the equinoxes, it may be at West Quoddy Head, Maine's most easterly point.  TMI?

GYX has backed off with "most likely" - since yesterday afternoon, I've seen (in sequence) 2", 7", 4", and most recently 5", though the AFD suggests nobody reaches 4.  Seems like the storm isn't redeveloping or something - radar has looked patchy and anemic except for the first little wave this morning, though there's more to the west.  I've no idea what my final total will be, 1"? 5"? dusting?  Weird event.

Archived