SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I love that photo.  

Cannot even imagine.  I know Wesley and he was up skiing the woods on natural snow that day.  May 31st skiing in the upper elevation trees is pretty damn impressive.

I think there were several legit snowstorms at elevation that month...and obviously up at MWN summit it was at a whole other level.  I think they had like 100" that month?

Close.  My data shows 95.8", with a 24" storm early in the month and 30.5" on 21-23.   That total is actually an inch more than they've ever measured in January and just 2" shy of their snowiest March.

4 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Agreed. That would pass as okay weather for the first unofficial wknd of spring; not summer.

This three day wknd didn't have a summer feel anywhere, all the way down to the mid Atlantic, especially near the coast...

Actually I was in Princeton and it was summery (at least early) with mid to upper 70s and humidity Friday-Sunday.   We left Sunday though and yesterday was a dud!

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Actually I was in Princeton and it was summery (at least early) with mid to upper 70s and humidity Friday-Sunday.   We left Sunday though and yesterday was a dud!

Princeton NJ? I guess it's all relative but that's not summery for that location on Memorial Day weekend. Definitely nice though. I dunno, to me ideal weather for Memorial Day weekend in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast is mostly sunny with temps that drive you towards water (pool,lake, ocean), which is at least heat indexes of ~80+.

Lake Winni was nice on Sunday--low 70's but right on the lake probably closer to low 60's. Definitely nice for that far north though; relative to climo..

29 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Another day of cold with heavy miserymist.

Can't take much more.  Getting pretty close to evacuating my crotons back to the greenhouse.

Just a dry week would be nice.  The dog has been out in the rain so much this month I can smell her coming before she actually walks in the room. 

Actually wasn't bad for an hour in RI while we pigged out at the Rocky Point Clam Shack. But grandsons game in Lisbon Ct was misery, although the boy at 16 is throwing darts. Pitched a no hitter last week. He has his Mom's arm and Papas pitch savy lol. It was chilly to say the least 

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

Is there any correlation between AN precip summers and tropical landfalls in NE?

The snarky answer is, of course, as TC landfalls bring lots of rain.  Non-snark but very SSS:  The most recent TCs to have significant effect on NNE, Gloria, Bob, Floyd, Irene, say otherwise, though vey quietly.  The two Sept storms followed JJAs that were somewhat BN at the Farmington co-op.  The two August storms had AN summers, but see the snark, above.  Without the 3.7" (Bob) and 4.3" (Irene), those JJAs would've been slightly BN for precip.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The snarky answer is, of course, as TC landfalls bring lots of rain.  Non-snark but very SSS:  The most recent TCs to have significant effect on NNE, Gloria, Bob, Floyd, Irene, say otherwise, though vey quietly.  The two Sept storms followed JJAs that were somewhat BN at the Farmington co-op.  The two August storms had AN summers, but see the snark, above.  Without the 3.7" (Bob) and 4.3" (Irene), those JJAs would've been slightly BN for precip.

Ha good point. I just seemed to remember hearing '38 and '54 were wet (before TCs) and I believe August '11 was too, at least down here. Wasn't sure if that corresponded to a pattern favorable to cyclone landfalls or if merely coincidental. 

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

Ha good point. I just seemed to remember hearing '38 and '54 were wet (before TCs) and I believe August '11 was too, at least down here. Wasn't sure if that corresponded to a pattern favorable to cyclone landfalls or if merely coincidental. 

1938 had AN precip here while 1954 would've been about average without Carol.  But SNE precip is probably a better study in this context than NNE.

Thunderstorms really blew up as they pasted over me.  Got the drone up just as they moved SE.  The TCU in the video is about over Meredith NH.  Looks like a bit of rotation?  Lightning was crazy but the drone cam is too slow to capture the bolts on this setting.

We got only .25".  That should do it for the month.   7.30"    eek and Dendrite must be getting hit good just to my south and east.

Archived