Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

No Dendrite siting at The Basket today. The usual spot we hit on way home.

This has been my laziest day in awhile. I still need to shower and brush my teeth. Thanks to all the soldiers out there who gave their lives so I could be a lazy POS. :ph34r:

Question about basement outdoor drain line. We just finished lawn project and the basement drain pipe got buried when the loam was put down. I found the outlet, but the guy who did the work said it's ok to leave the outlet buried. There's a rock on top, presumably to protect the pipe from being crushed. I got so used to the outlet being exposed and not buried, I figured it was a mistake to bury it. Will the water still get out? We don't have a sump pump, so no real issues with water in basement but if the outlet needs to be open, I will dig around it and keep it exposed just enough to keep outlet open.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Currently 46.7F.  High of 50.2F.  Steady misery mist all day.  Will probably fire up the wood stove to take the edge off.  

Went to a friend's camp on the lake yesterday and he had the woodstove going. Felt good, but just didn't feel right especially after getting off the boat.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Question about basement outdoor drain line. We just finished lawn project and the basement drain pipe got buried when the loam was put down. I found the outlet, but the guy who did the work said it's ok to leave the outlet buried. There's a rock on top, presumably to protect the pipe from being crushed. I got so used to the outlet being exposed and not buried, I figured it was a mistake to bury it. Will the water still get out? We don't have a sump pump, so no real issues with water in basement but if the outlet needs to be open, I will dig around it and keep it exposed just enough to keep outlet open.

Is there a lot of water running from pipe or just a trickle from time to time? Might be good to have a bunch of crushed stone at the pipe opening if you want to bury it. That would allow the water to disperse better.

58 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Any snow lingering around on the north side, hidden away from the common folk?

There's snow along the upper reaches of the Auto Toll Road.  I drove the work truck up there today and here's a photo of the fabled Summit Snow Stake (12-feet tall).

The stake is officially at 0" though there's still snow in the area.  Some of these patches in the evergreens up here are still up to 2-3 feet deep but they are becoming far and few between.

The black line I added to show the maximum snow depth achieved this winter, with 112" (9 feet and 4 inches) in early April.  The melt is almost fully complete for natural snow now.

18738887_10103008105549230_2804998548883

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

There's snow along the upper reaches of the Auto Toll Road.  I drove the work truck up there today and here's a photo of the fabled Summit Snow Stake (12-feet tall).

The stake is officially at 0" though there's still snow in the area.  Some of these patches in the evergreens up here are still up to 2-3 feet deep but they are becoming far and few between.

The black line I added to show the maximum snow depth achieved this winter, with 112" (9 feet and 4 inches) in early April.  The melt is almost fully complete for natural snow now.

18738887_10103008105549230_2804998548883

Is that your 3K measuring spot?

Is there a lot of water running from pipe or just a trickle from time to time? Might be good to have a bunch of crushed stone at the pipe opening if you want to bury it. That would allow the water to disperse better.

Never seen any water from it. We don't even have a sump pump.

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm always amazed at the 1997 spring up there.

stake1.jpeg

Yeah I love that photo.  

Cannot even imagine.  I know Wesley and he was up skiing the woods on natural snow that day.  May 31st skiing in the upper elevation trees is pretty damn impressive.

I think there were several legit snowstorms at elevation that month...and obviously up at MWN summit it was at a whole other level.  I think they had like 100" that month?

18 hours ago, weathafella said:

That's like saying the baby shat all over my wife but at least it wasn't me.

Agreed. That would pass as okay weather for the first unofficial wknd of spring; not summer.

This three day wknd didn't have a summer feel anywhere, all the way down to the mid Atlantic, especially near the coast...

Archived