Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

She is out of OKX. And it would make sense that the balloon didn't go very far since that's about where the upper low is.

We have GPS to track the balloons, and originally the plan was to track them to the ground to recover, but it's not very cost effective to send someone out hunting for a radiosonde that could be up in a tree, etc. So the GPS is used to calculate wind speed/direction instead.

I found a balloon back in 08 from OKX on my work roof right outside my office, saw it out the window and said no way, what are the odds of a weather geek finding a wx balloon, outside his work window. astronomical

20170526_080131.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I found a balloon back in 08 from OKX on my work roof right outside my office, saw it out the window and said no way, what are the odds of a weather geek finding a wx balloon, outside his work window. astronomical

20170526_080131.jpg

lol. Thats lotto odds but the difference is....you deff still have the balloon.

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Awesome!  I'd love to find one but the fact that it landed where it did is awesome.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

in 08 weenie was not as cool as today.

Steve, total left field question, but did the NWS ever determine if a tornado came through your area in Irene? I was reading through some of the old threads and saw you mentioned some suspicious damage.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Steve, total left field question, but did the NWS ever determine if a tornado came through your area in Irene? I was reading through some of the old threads and saw you mentioned some suspicious damage.

Not that I was aware, there was evidence of some but I believe none were followed up.

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice mid level synoptics to this thing with a rain jack from CT valley to nrn ORH county. Secondary area coastal Essex county. The mid levels really closed off and developed a nice area of heavy rain.

Just looking at radar and obs from this one...probably would've been quite the winter toaster bath in NVT lol.  Southern VT with inches of rain though.  

Even the wrap around today would've been too far S/W.  

I've been down in S.Cali this week on the coast near Laguna.  This is where weather weenies go to die though.  Talk about boring.  Holy crap.  Perfect weather for outdoor stuff (70s/80s and partly sunny like all the time) except the immediate coast is like 10F colder.  

The AFD's are basically like..."the onshore flow is about 5kts stronger today so we'll cool temps another couple miles inland.  Tomorrow flow is offshore so temps will be a few degrees warmer.  We can't decide if we should call it partly sunny or partly cloudy so will analyze all 12z data and make a call this afternoon.  Stay tuned for final call on sky cover."

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just looking at radar and obs from this one...probably would've been quite the winter toaster bath in NVT lol.  Southern VT with inches of rain though.  

Even the wrap around today would've been too far S/W.  

I've been down in S.Cali this week on the coast near Laguna.  This is where weather weenies go to die though.  Talk about boring.  Holy crap.  Perfect weather for outdoor stuff (70s/80s and partly sunny like all the time) except the immediate coast is like 10F colder.  

The AFD's are basically like..."the onshore flow is about 5kts stronger today so we'll cool temps another couple miles inland.  Tomorrow flow is offshore so temps will be a few degrees warmer.  We can't decide if we should call it partly sunny or partly cloudy so will analyze all 12z data and make a call this afternoon.  Stay tuned for final call on sky cover."

LOL the only way I could live there is at 8k. But the weather and Cali coat is beautiful. I'm sure it's a talent show there too.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The AFD's for EYW are often similar.  They really agonize over whether to go with a 10 or 20% chance of t-storms sometimes. 

Gets pretty neat when they start talking cloud line formation and the associated risks for waterspouts.

Archived