Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Weird month departure wise across the region. BOS is +0.4 and BDL is -0.1.That's normal as the chilly air was more anomalous inland where you expect warmer temps. However ORH is -1.6 and PVD is +1.4.   So keep that in mind when analyzing the month.

Up here it's a big difference as usual from BTV to the interior sites like MVL/MPV/1V4.  

Even after the heat we are -2.4 at MVL, but we also maximize any chance to radiate (like last night's 32F that isn't included in the departures yet).   We also were 50F yesterday when south was 90F, so heat was bunted south a bit.

BTV +0.9

MVL -2.4

1V4 -2.9 

MPV -1.1

MMNV1 at 4,000ft is -2.0 

So aside from BTV torch zone, the VT climo sites in the northern half of the state are still solidly below normal.  1V4 has 100+ years of records and is the coldest, also it's the furthest NE of all the sites.

Interesting gradient at MPV though, the more southern station of the ones listed and almost a full degree departure warmer.

BTV stands out again when Mansfield is -2 and MVL is -2.4, pretty even departures in the lower 4,000ft of the atmosphere, while 20-25 miles away BTV is +.9.  

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I was thinking tonight may not be as cold as last night but the dews well into the 20s in the mountain valleys makes me think we freeze hard tonight.  

61/26 now at MVL.  

I think we see 20s up north, but whether there is any moisture for frost...

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Do you think there will be a severe threat in the northeast end of next weekend?  Pretty far out but that's really my only opportunity for chasing.  Pattern on GFS looks interesting with good flow, potential s/w and steep lapse rate advection 

I mean maybe Monday based on the 12z runs. But I wouldn't be hanging my hat on anything.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean maybe Monday based on the 12z runs. But I wouldn't be hanging my hat on anything.

Previous runs pegged Sunday.  That time period has historically produced some big events so hopefully that works out again.  Whatever happens I hope it's during the day...dating back to last summer (especially down this way) most events have been at night...which is fine but can't see cloud features.  

Frost on car roofs this morning, after a classic C-o-C day yesterday.  Moderate blackflies in the woods (was walking a friend's woodlot), but breezy enough so the bugs didn't do much damage.  These past 6 days have featured frosts on Tuesday and this morning, sandwiching my first 90+ in 12 years on Thursday.

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Frost on car roofs this morning, after a classic C-o-C day yesterday.  Moderate blackflies in the woods (was walking a friend's woodlot), but breezy enough so the bugs didn't do much damage.  These past 6 days have featured frosts on Tuesday and this morning, sandwiching my first 90+ in 12 years on Thursday.

You know, I was thinking of your location specifically when I expanded the frost advisory yesterday afternoon. I thought no way does northern Franklin freeze without southern getting a frost.

40.1F here.    Great sleeping wx

We had our pool "opened" last week (basically cover removed, filter set up and checked). The pool had lots of debris and gunk in it.  I added some water (1600 gallons or so) and ran the filter.  I shocked it and it immediately cleared out.   I can't believe how quick that changed.  Our old pop up pools took forever to clear.   

Water is still 55F so no swimming for a while

Does anyone know what the "white" means.

"by contrast, the global mountain torque is nearly white and is linked with synoptic-scale wave trains that disperse energy eastward over the mountains and into adjacent ocean basins"

source: Mountains, the Global Frictional Torque, and the Circulation over the Pacific-North American Region"

ok i have a science/physics question.

last night had a campfire going. It was a decent fire, nice and hot and lots of coals. at the end of the night, I dumped the ice water from the cooler on the fire to put it out. it mostly went out, but there were still some hot coals off to the side. this morning, over 12 hours later, the ice cubes were in a clump on top of the bed of coals. how is it possible that not only did the ice not melt, but it clumped/froze all together. oh, and the temp never got below 40 here last night.

Archived