Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Just now, weatherwiz said:

When was this? 

5/21/96.   That was a true blow down on the NE side of the city and into Whitman. I think radar estimated winds (or measured?) were 104mph.  I lived on the Sw side of the city and got skirted with the strong winds, but still had damage. NE side of the city was a disaster. I remember video from this one cemetery that had trees uprooted with caskets and bodies torn with it. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

5/21/96.   That was a true blow down on the NE side of the city and into Whitman. I think radar estimated winds (or measured?) were 104mph.  I lived on the Sw side of the city and got skirted with the strong winds, but still had damage. NE side of the city was a disaster. I remember video from this one cemetery that had trees uprooted with caskets and bodies torn with it. 

That's insane!!

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

My 10-12 footers are still inside. Under low indoor light levels over the winter, they'll grow larger and weaker leaves than normal, which are serviced by a significantly constricted root system. If you put them outside on days like this, they'll be unable to uptake water fast enough, and then the leaves will droop and the stem will kink.  Once they kink, there is nothing you can do but cut them off, which is a bummer if it happens to all of them.

Probably more than you wanted to know. :lol:

Kinky

Seriously, I enjoy reading about your passion for unusual plants.   The bird talk is something I can relate to more. 

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Just saw a wet bike out on the CT river, that water must be  invigorating this time of year.

Is a wet bike the same as a jet ski?

My pool guy "opened" our pool earlier today.   Basically removed the cover and set up the filter.   Looks like crap right now.  I need to see what the next steps are.

28 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Obligatory thermo pic. From 4pm. That is not the time under the temp.

0518171602a~2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Lol. Where are you? Not Woodstock? That temp was I 84 in Tolland area.

Tolland High had a max of 93° and that's right next to 84.

FWIW, It looks like my online thermometer hit 95° but I think that runs a degree or two high on some days.  I'll have to see what the thermometer says in my weather shelter for my "official" reading.

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is a wet bike the same as a jet ski?

My pool guy "opened" our pool earlier today.   Basically removed the cover and set up the filter.   Looks like crap right now.  I need to see what the next steps are.

I've always called the wider, built for two watercraft wet bikes. Might just be a buzzards bay thing though.

Archived