Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Yup, last night was fine. Tonight may be rough, but anyone of hearty New England stock will be just fine. Snowflakes installing their AC in April, ha!

My house felt great all night with the windows open and  a fan oin. We will survive lol 

Just now, MetHerb said:

67° here for the low.  I did make it to 90° yesterday.

Were there any spots up north that had snow over the weekend and hit 90° yesterday?  I always like those wild swings.

Probably not 90, but mid 80s for a couple spots looked like it happened.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I can't even imagine all the pollen all over everything if folks had fans and windows blowing 

lol...with the exception of a few days, I've had my windows open for weeks and have no pollen problems.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Probably not 90, but mid 80s for a couple spots looked like it happened.

I know the snow was mostly at elevations which had lower temps yesterday but I was wondering.

Back in 1991 I had snow on 4/2 and hit 90° on the 7th so I know it is possible.

Natural AC in our house this time of year.   Basement is below grade.  We have old floor vents when there use to be an old furnace down below.  I opened up 2 vents and set up 2 fans in the basement and blew the air up.  47F down there and it kept the house really cool yesterday.   Doesn't work quite as well in late summer as the ground and basement is not as cold.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Man, that Euro bombs that sucker between NS and NF ... that looks like it could bring snow right down to within shouting distance of sea-level with that puppy up that way -

Nick will be posting pics of snow flakes. While the rest of us are BBQ'g and in banana hammocks...lol

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Natural AC in our house this time of year.   Basement is below grade.  We have old floor vents when there use to be an old furnace down below.  I opened up 2 vents and set up 2 fans in the basement and blew the air up.  47F down there and it kept the house really cool yesterday.   Doesn't work quite as well in late summer as the ground and basement is not as cold.

Yes my lower levels are below grade and its always cool in the lower bedrooms.

Just now, Hazey said:

Nick will be posting pics of snow flakes. While the rest of us are BBQ'g and in banana hammocks...lol

Ha! 

...but actually not really ...  The front that's going to put the ka-bosh on the present heat (tomorrow) is actually heralding in a pretty strong cold insert into the Maritime regions.  The warm weather enthusiasts can count their stars really that this wasn't more 'angled' at us.. But so it were, it should skirt by and miss, but not before it knocks us back pretty hugely. 

May not make 70 (though I suspect it will) on Saturday, while said cold air services the baroclinicity needed for that late season Nicker - ha

2 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

Looks like a few meh storms later on... Should be fun watching the storms in the plains later though..

Yeah we should see some storms work into parts of the area late evening into early overnight hours.  Some s/w energy approaches with some modest height falls and models keep a decent amount of elevated instability in place.

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah we should see some storms work into parts of the area late evening into early overnight hours.  Some s/w energy approaches with some modest height falls and models keep a decent amount of elevated instability in place.

NCAR ensemble has mild interest around 00z for western parts of New England. But I'm more interested in KS.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

NCAR ensemble has mild interest around 00z for western parts of New England. But I'm more interested in KS.

Absolutely...anything pops that cap and it's going to be very ugly.  Was following tweets about some of the soundings out there from 12z launches and some of them are insane 

it's like a big meso already out there ... ha!   suspend so much of a cu vertically and it'l be like a stem-wound rope -

i've actually seen that before.. rotating fair weather cu.  in fact, in this modern age of cloud videography ...all hd and detailed you can see/sense that the idea of rotating updrafts is not relegated to just the organized majesty of a big tropopause rollin CB

it's just a matter of whether any of that gets the 0-3km in volved in it

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Absolutely...anything pops that cap and it's going to be very ugly.  Was following tweets about some of the soundings out there from 12z launches and some of them are insane 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's like a big meso already out there ... ha!   suspend so much of a cu vertically and it'l be like a stem-wound rope -

i've actually seen that before.. rotating fair weather cu.  in fact, in this modern age of cloud videography ...all hd and detailed you can see/sense that the idea of rotating updrafts is not relegated to just the organized majesty of a big tropopause rollin CB

it's just a matter of whether any of that gets the 0-3km in volved in it

Biggest issue out there today is whether too many storms get going in interrupt each other from digging into that low level environment. But either way the storms will be windy, it just may be rotating wind.

No A/C here. I close all windows during the day and open one in the bedroom at night with a window fan blowing in. Never had an issue, but the house is pretty well vented. My other place built 100 years later was like living in a ziploc bag, upstairs is unbearable at times, even with a fan. A/C is a must in that case.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Biggest issue out there today is whether too many storms get going in interrupt each other from digging into that low level environment. But either way the storms will be windy, it just may be rotating wind.

If the timing is right, National Grid should have plenty of work ahead of them for the next 24-48 hours.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The degree of capping could prevent activity becoming more widespread in nature which would obviously enhance the significant tornado potential.  If today were to bust so to speak it would probably be due to the lack of strong/violent long-tracked tornadoes given how the high risk is predominately (well is) for that potential.  

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I can't even imagine all the pollen all over everything if folks had fans and windows blowing 

That can be a problem for me, its evident on my dining room table which has west facing windows.  Swiffer FTW.  That said, I may install today but I hate doing it for just one night now but at least I have multiple windows which will be put back into use while the ac's sit dormant after today.

Every year it disappoints me that I can't get out to the Plains.  Seems like it will never happen.  Was hoping maybe next spring would be the one b/c I could put a significant amount of tax refund money towards it but if I do an internship next summer that will be $2,000 ughhh.  This is why we need a big outbreak here

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The degree of capping could prevent activity becoming more widespread in nature which would obviously enhance the significant tornado potential.  If today were to bust so to speak it would probably be due to the lack of strong/violent long-tracked tornadoes given how the high risk is predominately (well is) for that potential.  

It certainly looks like enough capping to prevent widespread early convection muddying the waters, but OUN is launching at 15z to get an idea how moisture has changed.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It certainly looks like enough capping to prevent widespread early convection muddying the waters, but OUN is launching at 15z to get an idea how moisture has changed.

That's good they're doing that.  The differences between the dews from OK and SW KS is pretty filthy.  Anyone along the path of the triple point though is probably in big trouble.  I even wonder if we could see training supercells? 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

That's good they're doing that.  The differences between the dews from OK and SW KS is pretty filthy.  Anyone along the path of the triple point though is probably in big trouble.  I even wonder if we could see training supercells? 

I know 70+ in OK and upper 40s across the front in KS. I targeted just north of Greensburg.

But I think there will be one supercell that latches onto the warm front based on forecast shear vectors. They are pretty parallel to the boundary.

I know 70+ in OK and upper 40s across the front in KS. I targeted just north of Greensburg.

But I think there will be one supercell that latches onto the warm front based on forecast shear vectors. They are pretty parallel to the boundary.

Those are the supercells which are the most dangerous too.  They can last forever.  

Archived