Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You said you had dead ones in April .. after saying you didn't have any cocoons?

Irishrob is loving your posts today!

Link to saying where I had no cocoons, ? odd fellow you are, tents are not cocoons, you are mixing and matching, Please explain how you know the virus is not working On May 17th when you stated it does not emerge until late May and early June, stop changing goalposts and answer that question, and don't tell me someone on the cape said some other guy said it.

15 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Anyone here tried Counterweight's Headway? Hear good things and found a 4 pack this morning.

Headway is good stuff if you ask me. A very solid IPA, differs from say a Treehouse or Trillium IPA. He was the head brewer at NEBCO so he has made some great beers in the past and no reason to think that will change.

28 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I def think they have a shot both days.   ASH, LWM, BED I think could hit or exceed 90 each day. Def a whiplash since Monday

NWS in Boston bumped our forecast here from 87 to 92 for this afternoon and 92 to 94 now 95 for tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Were any of those dead worms hanging from bark in upside-down "V" shape?  That's diagnostic for the polyhedral virus that has ended some past outbreaks.  (Otherwise, something else killed them.)

I hate black flies more then ticks

Blackflies are irritating, but the season here lasts only 2-3 weeks (longer when I lived up north.)  Ticks are around whenever the snow is gone, along with possibly causing something much worse than an itchy couple of days.  When it comes to biting flies, I find deerflies 10X worse than either blackflies or mosquitos.  Can't outrun deerflies (I've had them pace my vehicle at up to 20 mph) and no repellent short of flaming kerosene has any effect.

Note to dendrite:  I've never been bitten by any of the thousands of blackflies that have wound up in my vehicles, tents, etc.  Mosquitos are another story.

We've thought about it. Nothing worse than one picking up your trail on the golf course. Hard to concentrate on the par putts.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Note to dendrite:  I've never been bitten by any of the thousands of blackflies that have wound up in my vehicles, tents, etc.  Mosquitos are another story.

These were definitely biting. I had a few lodging into my skin while loading the truck up. I have about 50 bites on me from last night...didn't see one mosquito. I know there's only a few species that bite humans. I think I have all of them. ;)

48 minutes ago, zeepowderhunter said:

Headway is good stuff if you ask me. A very solid IPA, differs from say a Treehouse or Trillium IPA. He was the head brewer at NEBCO so he has made some great beers in the past and no reason to think that will change.

Merci, good sir, I look forward to trying it. Picked up some Sunshine to go with it.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The plains have have had better severe seasons than us since Pangaea split up.

Just had our yearly severe weather simulated warning event. Our SOO chose 7/18/16 for the event, so training may be the best event of this year too.

It was the event that @wx2fish passed along damage pictures up in Pittsburg. So I did manage some small lead time on the tornado because I recognized that as I saw the couplet forming. 

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We've thought about it. Nothing worse than one picking up your trail on the golf course. Hard to concentrate on the par putts.

Glad I don't golf.  ;)
Unlike blackflies, which usually become less ambitious when temps get to 85+, deerflies revel in the heat.  (1996 was a glaring exception, featuring the worst blackflies of my experience, hordes swarming at 90+ and Ben's 100 lasting barely one hour.)  When I would be cruising timber on hot days in the Allagash-St. John country, there would be dozens to hundreds of flies circling.  Most would be non-biting "sweatlickers" that look like slightly downsized houseflies, but one could not tell which of the buzzing bombers carried knives.  I rarely wear a hat unless it's quite cold, and though I'd liberally apply repellent, I could count on squashing a deerfly any time I smacked my head back where the hair whorls (where the flies don't have to crawl thru hair to reach paydirt.)  After 8 hours of that, headaches were common, and when I got home I had to comb fly parts out of my hair.

And concerning bugs-in-trucks, it's open season while one is loading the vehicle, but in my experience I don't get attacked by blackflies while I'm inside with them and the doors are closed.  Mosquitos continue to hunt while blackflies (and deerflies, fortunately) look for a way out.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Glad I don't golf.  ;)
Unlike blackflies, which usually become less ambitious when temps get to 85+, deerflies revel in the heat.  (1996 was a glaring exception, featuring the worst blackflies of my experience, hordes swarming at 90+ and Ben's 100 lasting barely one hour.)  When I would be cruising timber on hot days in the Allagash-St. John country, there would be dozens to hundreds of flies circling.  Most would be non-biting "sweatlickers" that look like slightly downsized houseflies, but one could not tell which of the buzzing bombers carried knives.  I rarely wear a hat unless it's quite cold, and though I'd liberally apply repellent, I could count on squashing a deerfly any time I smacked my head back where the hair whorls (where the flies don't have to crawl thru hair to reach paydirt.)  After 8 hours of that, headaches were common, and when I got home I had to comb fly parts out of my hair.

And concerning bugs-in-trucks, it's open season while one is loading the vehicle, but in my experience I don't get attacked by blackflies while I'm inside with them and the doors are closed.  Mosquitos continue to hunt while blackflies (and deerflies, fortunately) look for a way out.

Well there's one benefit to being bald.

Well ... if we choose to believe the EDD product at NWS Taunton's site ...91 is popped at multiple locations.

But I'm wondering, NAM MOS has 97 at KBED tomorrow, over a DP of 62.  That should HI out at around 97 or 98...  is that enough for a heat advisory?  I know the criteria was recently adjusted by I don't recall the specifics. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well ... if we choose to believe the EDD product at NWS Taunton's site ...91 is popped at multiple locations.

But I'm wondering, NAM MOS has 97 at KBED tomorrow, over a DP of 62.  That should HI out at around 97 or 98...  is that enough for a heat advisory?  I know the criteria was recently adjusted by I don't recall the specifics. 

No it is not. New criteria is 100-104 for any duration, or 95-99 for 2 consecutive days.

Archived