Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As bad as the blackflies were the other night, they were worse today. No exposed piece of human flesh was safe this evening. I was mowing (tractor) in the sun and it didn't matter. I challenge Eek to come over and survive 5 minutes outside here.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

As bad as the blackflies were the other night, they were worse today. No exposed piece of human flesh was safe this evening. I was mowing (tractor) in the sun and it didn't matter. I challenge Eek to come over and survive 5 minutes outside here.

Basically no biting bugs here yet, just some friendly gnats.

I've been trying to schedule a chicken visit for ages but my damn ankle got me so far behind that I'm working 7am to 8pm now trying to get caught up.  Another couple weeks and I should be mostly done. 

One lazy-ass hummingbird finally arrived back today. One female rose breasted grosbeak. Zero orioles. Oranges everywhere.

I hate black flies more then ticks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Depends...at Lyndon State, it was an entire year. Fall semester it was intro to research methods where you learned how to collect data, statistically analyze it, and identify reliable research sources. Spring semester was designing your experiment, collecting your data and writing the paper.

I did a water quality analysis of snow melt run off from Burke Mountain Ski Resort, pre and post ski season.

Awesome thank you!  I'm thinking of doing internship and research b/c I'm not entirely sure what route I want to try and go. 

55 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Weird fetish :huh:

its Kevin would you expect anything but weird. I mean dude wants to step in gypsy moth poop all summer long so they eat his oaks so he has to chop them down at a 2K expense leaving divots and open space with no shade.

15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I didn't spray for Gypsy Moth, we spray cinnamon oil extract for ticks and fleas. The Gyspies here hatched and were everywhere, the next day after a rain and cold night they were all dead. One Oak did not come back this year. 

Were any of those dead worms hanging from bark in upside-down "V" shape?  That's diagnostic for the polyhedral virus that has ended some past outbreaks.  (Otherwise, something else killed them.)

I hate black flies more then ticks

Blackflies are irritating, but the season here lasts only 2-3 weeks (longer when I lived up north.)  Ticks are around whenever the snow is gone, along with possibly causing something much worse than an itchy couple of days.  When it comes to biting flies, I find deerflies 10X worse than either blackflies or mosquitos.  Can't outrun deerflies (I've had them pace my vehicle at up to 20 mph) and no repellent short of flaming kerosene has any effect.

Note to dendrite:  I've never been bitten by any of the thousands of blackflies that have wound up in my vehicles, tents, etc.  Mosquitos are another story.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I get eaten alive at the lake by skeeters. Might as well be one big can of DEET.

Eek came over one day last spring and was amazed at how many more blackflies we had than he did. We have a decently flowing stream in the back woods and the Winni River right down the road so maybe it's a favorable breeding ground. Whatever it is, there's more of them and they're extra hungry this May.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Were any of those dead worms hanging from bark in upside-down "V" shape?  That's diagnostic for the polyhedral virus that has ended some past outbreaks.  (Otherwise, something else killed them.)

yes and I posted that previously with a picture, these are all dead

moths.jpg

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Eek came over one day last spring and was amazed at how many more blackflies we had than he did. We have a decently flowing stream in the back woods and the Winni River right down the road so maybe it's a favorable breeding ground. Whatever it is, there's more of them and they're extra hungry this May.

We have them here, but not as bad. Mosquitoes are usually the biggest pest. Ticks too...in fact we have a bad (and underrated) Lyme Disease problem in MA and especially south shore.  It seems to be getting worse every year. As far as mosquitoes go, they do aerial spraying here in the wetlands to reduce the mosquito population. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol the virus doesn't activate till late May and June if it does at all. And it's not working this year as we've all seen. 

so very very glad we don't live there, but hey if it doesn't activate until Late May early June how in Sam hell do you know its not working this year?

Archived