Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The blackflies are next level bad right now 

Indeed.  Walking the dog allowed me to see how much they are in tune with sun and calm winds. The breeze would kick up or the clouds would close in and they disappear.  When the wind slackened or the sun reappeared they came out of nowhere

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's pretty impressive QPF back inland compared to the coastal plain, given the model projections were a lot "smoother" and even heavier along the coast.  

But lol to those who wrote that off as just a meh showers storm.  Pretty decent synoptic storm for mid May.

Did remind me of the Memorial weekend storm 

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The Memorial Day weekend storm a few years ago dropped 36" on Whiteface in the Adirondacks above 3000ft.  There were some mighty impressive pics from that one on the Whiteface Memorial Highway.  

Similar type storm with huge QPF and H7 deformation over the eastern Adirondacks.  That one also crawled along for like 30 hours too.

Yea, I'd say that was a larger and much snowier event. It put a lot of snow down to about 2500 feet even in the greens.  I even recall flakes down around Stowe town elevation for that one. 

I have to say regarding the weekend storm, upslope and NAM FTW. 

I know we discussed the NAM forecast soundings in the middle of last week, but there really were a huge red flag. That was a sign that snow levels weren't going to be all that high across NH and parts of ME. Kick in a little upslope assist and you get the pictures from SW NH that we saw.

And now I get to tee off and try and avoid puddles in the fairways.

2 hours ago, Hazey said:

Man the ticks are horrendous this year up here. Almost can't even go in the woods.

We lyme 

Picked up a dog tick this morning without even going into the woods - road-shoulder grass was the donor.  Did not see any on our light-colored pooch, who was at the other end of the leash.

P&C has Thursday getting to 91 for my foothills location; each period over the past 2 days has edged up the max for that day.  I'm in the woods, where heat underperforms (have not recorded 90+ since June of 2005), but the co-op observers 3 miles SSE and 6 miles W of me have more open locations, and a better chance.

Plymouth hit the low 80s today! I brought the guinea pigs outside. Epic fail. Poor little guys were scared ****less. I adopted them when from a shelter when they were about 9 months, and they had spent their entire short life stuck in a closet or being harassed by a toddler. They turned a year old this month. They have socially come a long way, but the abuse they suffered definitely left a mark.

19 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Has anyone ever done senior research before?  If you do senior research is it a semester long project or full academic year? 

Depends...at Lyndon State, it was an entire year. Fall semester it was intro to research methods where you learned how to collect data, statistically analyze it, and identify reliable research sources. Spring semester was designing your experiment, collecting your data and writing the paper.

I did a water quality analysis of snow melt run off from Burke Mountain Ski Resort, pre and post ski season.

2 hours ago, TwoDogNight said:

In Model Meyham I see that Ginx reported no gypsies...and DIT commented on the spray.  Curious what the spray was (and didn't want to reply in the model thread)?

I didn't spray for Gypsy Moth, we spray cinnamon oil extract for ticks and fleas. The Gyspies here hatched and were everywhere, the next day after a rain and cold night they were all dead. One Oak did not come back this year. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I didn't spray for Gypsy Moth, we spray cinnamon oil extract for ticks and fleas. The Gyspies here hatched and were everywhere, the next day after a rain and cold night they were all dead. One Oak did not come back this year. 

Thanks.  Does the cinnamon oil work?  Ticks are unreal this year.  Might have to try backyard chickens!!!

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oaks are about halfway out, and I can see holes chewed in the leaves already looking up the trees. What a win 

So you like having to cut down trees, grind stumps, and deal with depressions in yard when the rest of the root system rots?  My ornamental cherries are looking rough this year after gypsy attack last year, but I would hate to loose any of the mature trees in my yard.  (Back to long time lurker mode).  

2 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

So you like having to cut down trees, grind stumps, and deal with depressions in yard when the rest of the root system rots?  My ornamental cherries are looking rough this year after gypsy attack last year, but I would hate to loose any of the mature trees in my yard.  (Back to long time lurker mode).  

Please continue to post! We also lost a small white pine.

57 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

What town in CT do you live in?

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What town in CT do you live in?

No town in CT.  Mendon, MA. The Blackstone Valley area got hit pretty hard last year.  I saw pics that Ginx posted last year...it was worse than my yard...by far...but I fear this year it's my turn.  I sprayed some Bt about a week ago.

And since you have a picture fetish :-)  Pic is from post ID 423 in the 6th annual SNE lawn thread.  Cherry looked better 2 years ago than today.  :-(

20150511_075942.jpg  

Archived