Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah even down here it would have been a total blue bomb...39 and heavy rain would have been pretty epic cement a month ago. Prob more powdery in those Monadnock elevations that got plastered today. 

I think even NYC would have been snow if this storm had been on April 13th instead of May 13th..it was 46F here in the East Bronx driving home at 6pm. Climo rises about 10F or so in a month so it would have been a mid 30s wet snow. 

Impressive that we've had two snow events in May as the rainstorm last weekend produced some back end flakes as well.

Unfortunately it looks like it will be the tale of two Mays as much warmer weather is coming in which should erase some of the extreme anomalies...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My 1.40" of mid-40s RA would've been mid-30s catpaws while sites within 10 miles had warning-criteria snow.  Yesterday was less frustrating.

Maybe. But the snow levels would be way lower and I think the isothermal 0C layer would creep down to your elevation. Of course it's all hypothetical so who knows? 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I was hoping to break a record this month considering the first half, but this week will put a wrench in that. 

Some Mets and other "experts"on Twitter totally downplayed the qpf and NNE snow potential of this storm for a week. Some of the same people who insisted we would follow April up with instant summer. Is refreshing here to read alternative possibilities discussed. Looks like we break out of winter lag for good now but any long lasting HHH is not in the cards.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

30.8" as of 12z via the METARs

Damn.  That sounds right though for this one. Would've been a huge storm for all back in March.  

Up this way it just switched in a blink of an eye from spiraling bands of wind driven rain at the office (42F and pouring this morning while 34F catpaws up at picnic tables) to now low 50s and some sunshine.  Still gusty winds and at least 60% clouds but nice to see some blue patches finally after a week of clouds and rain.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn.  That sounds right though for this one. Would've been a huge storm for all back in March.  

Up this way it just switched in a blink of an eye from spiraling bands of wind driven rain at the office (42F and pouring this morning while 34F catpaws up at picnic tables) to now low 50s and some sunshine.  Still gusty winds and at least 60% clouds but nice to see some blue patches finally after a week of clouds and rain.

Mwn obs:We're celebrating the summit's record breaking snowfall with an ice cream cone on the deck!
38 hours of continuous snowfall left behind a whopping 33.3"of snow, making this our largest snowstorm ever recorded in May, as well as breaking our 24-hour May snowfall record with 22.9" in a 24-hour period!

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mwn obs:We're celebrating the summit's record breaking snowfall with an ice cream cone on the deck!
38 hours of continuous snowfall left behind a whopping 33.3"of snow, making this our largest snowstorm ever recorded in May, as well as breaking our 24-hour May snowfall record with 22.9" in a 24-hour period!

On 5/12/2017 at 1:27 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

What a meh scenario. Folks excited over a run of the mill rainer

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Probably safe to say the largest late season snow event east of the Mississippi (in recorded history).

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Maybe. But the snow levels would be way lower and I think the isothermal 0C layer would creep down to your elevation. Of course it's all hypothetical so who knows? 

It's possible, though my particular location doesn't seem to do well in marginal events, at least compared to the Farmington co-op, 6 miles to my west and a modest 30' higher.  Two examples which come to mind include the Octobomb, when they established a new October snowfall record with 8.0" while I had 4.5".  More relevant is their latest measurable on record, 3.0" on 5/13/2002.  I recorded 0.3".

5 hours ago, MarkO said:

Probably safe to say the largest late season snow event east of the Mississippi (in recorded history).

The Memorial Day weekend storm a few years ago dropped 36" on Whiteface in the Adirondacks above 3000ft.  There were some mighty impressive pics from that one on the Whiteface Memorial Highway.  

Similar type storm with huge QPF and H7 deformation over the eastern Adirondacks.  That one also crawled along for like 30 hours too.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

700mb deformation fun.

Yeah that's pretty impressive QPF back inland compared to the coastal plain, given the model projections were a lot "smoother" and even heavier along the coast.  

But lol to those who wrote that off as just a meh showers storm.  Pretty decent synoptic storm for mid May.

Archived