Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think it's impressive enough from a purely existential perspective, but I wonder that for the statistical point of view .. (forget one's personal druthers - hard to do in this cluster of souls, I know - )

But, appreciation for weather in general has this right up there with attention getting!

It's also amazing for another reason, ...not just that it happened in May.  How amazing is it really -

Not meaning to be troll-like but I honestly wonder what the return rate for snow is at elevation rings along the spines of those elevations.  Like 500' has a much rare number than 1,500', in turn is certainly far different that the summit of Washington (which I believe can get a flake in July from time to time...) etc...etc.  

Once ironing that out, I think (suspect really...) we'll find that this is pretty rare - talking also the 'amounts' of accumulated measure.  Like 4" to 10" along a pretty solid meso-beta scaled axis that ~ 2,000 on average; isn't like an isolated occurrence so total significance has to be on the higher side.  Could still be wrong, but that's just my experience wanting to predict the hard numbers (ha). 

It is impressive from an anomaly perspective. But from my own sensibke, usable weather perspective, I'm rooting for 75F and sunny. 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

It is impressive from an anomaly perspective. But from my own sensibke, usable weather perspective, I'm rooting for 75F and sunny. 

Well our choice was 38F and heavy rain or 33F and some snow. I would choose the snow in that scenario. Especially with some elevation and potential for 6"+ this late in the season. It'll be a goner by Wed anyway.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not to be a jaggov but the Pow Virus is actually getting to be old hat, albeit probably still new in the sense that we are, as a f'n species at this point, too super-saturated with information; people don't know how or what to adjudicate as solid news versus just more waste of time, bullschit manipulation tactics to get people to click mouses for profits...

Digression..

This one is a scary and real news item.  I have a buddy that's obsessed and afraid of ticks and we've been swapping notes on this invasive virus for a couple years.  It's associated with "species migration" and thought to be one in a plethora of nasty consequences of GW (not to get into that either). 

Problem is that we haven't had enough sustained cold in winters now stemming back a bunch of them, and the 'bands' of ecosystems are moving N. The winters of 2013 thru 2015 were not even to stem the tide of that set into motion 20 years ago.

As a side... it's kind of funny how this site being so pre-occupied with whether we get our just snows in winter... feels 'satisfied' if they do, regardless of whether we are getting positive anomalies over the course, in the temperatures... There's even a sense of repose when people post, "...It's okay to be above normal at our latitude though..." ...almost like 'Phew'

That's okay if you are alive to experience it.  Disease is part of the GW super-computer warnings poured over by think tanks at the Pen. and/or NSA and the like. ..Not just wars and terror, and systemic failure of agriculture for that matter..

I mean, I'm sure you know of this... just saying for the sake of typin'.   But, folks should expect more and more of these types of alarming stories (undoubtedly lost in the white noise of banner ads and hand-held app addiction)

Took a nice drive up the Kancamangus

Temps fell very quickly once you got past Loon Resort.0

Thank Goodness they got the plows out up there.

Took a bunch of photos but everytime i attatch them i am mysteriously logged out.

Drove up by Cannon, nada below 2500'

Where as Loon had snow at 1K

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Well our choice was 38F and heavy rain or 33F and some snow. I would choose the snow in that scenario. Especially with some elevation and potential for 6"+ this late in the season. It'll be a goner by Wed anyway.

That was never in the cards for here so I'm in the sunny train.  I did enjoy that May 23rd slushy accumulation a couple of years ago though. 

Just checking Mount Washington.  As of 2pm they had recorded 14.5" of snow today.  May record 24 hour snowfall is 22".   They are reporting heavy snow at 5pm and 27.5F.  Lots more moisture to come.  Looks like they could break a May record.  Total record for May monthly snowfall is 97".  That one is safe.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn that's nice for May 14th.

Must've been ripping up there last night and this morning. 

They had even more at lower elevation in monadnocks. Not sure if you saw the pics earlier in this thread. 

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn that's nice for May 14th.

Must've been ripping up there last night and this morning. 

I made two trips (attempts) up.

First trip up Kanc. At 1030am was before plows got out....had to stop and turn around at about 1800' where there was 6 inches of heavy wet snow, on way down stopped just below the hair pin turn and there were branches down all over.

Drove 93 past Franconia Notch, no snow all 38F rain at base of Cannon. Drove around and was gonna make a run for Jefferson/Randolph elevations but decided to give the Kancamangus another try. Lots of melting had occured below 1500' but above that it was snowing heavily. I took several photos around 2800', i got out of car in sneakers and walked around parking lot. 

Here's a unofficial measurement at noon. End of middle finger to beginning of wrist is 7.25 inches and snow was a solid inch or so above that. Some spots looked a bit more.

Gorgeous view and gorgeous drive. 

I could text someone the other photos

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I was blown away at how fast it melted, even for May.  The Mount Snow cam at 3,600ft had 8-9" this morning and is down to 1" now.  Figured 6"+ at that elevation would've at least survived the day.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They had even more at lower elevation in monadnocks. Not sure if you saw the pics earlier in this thread. 

No I'll have to look... that looks like a solid 8"+ from Pickle's photos.  Just the way the trees look with the snow on the branches. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No I'll have to look... that looks like a solid 8"+ from Pickle's photos.  Just the way the trees look with the snow on the branches. 

Spot on w accumulation guess

The cool thing was i didn't plan on stopping at Loon. It was just very obvious the snow accumulation elevation dropped literally at the Lincoln Exit. At 1015 there was snow at 1K on Kanc. JUST west of Loon Mtn

Then nada at cannon well up the Mtn as well.

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This makes me really appreciate May 1977

Did we warm up quickly after that event?

Tip was mentioning ORH possibly hitting 85F Thurs.  if that occurs, I would expect KFIT-KASH-KLWM to be 88-90 or so

Pretty remarkable week

The last cool wx until September is occurring now. It's such a great thought. We done. We heat 

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah 10" in Nelson NH. 

Just saw that post...holy crap.  Google maps does show a lot of that town over 1,400ft...some roads in the 1800-2000ft range too.  That's some nice elevation right there!

Wish we had an overnight radar loop.  It must've been ripping QPF for those totals of likely 7:1 snowfall or something.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This would've been an epic storm a month ago with climo being 10F colder. 

Yeah even down here it would have been a total blue bomb...39 and heavy rain would have been pretty epic cement a month ago. Prob more powdery in those Monadnock elevations that got plastered today. 

Archived