Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

14 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I'll have to double check the bird exchange rates, but I'm pretty sure 1 scarlet tanager is equal to 4 indigo buntings.

I have a new bird to report today, a very pretty black and white striped bird that behaves just like a nuthatch.  Got a good identification:  the black and white warbler.  

Getting a little stressed that my hummingbirds aren't here yet. 

I think you have your ratio backwards. No hummers here yet. Haven't seen an oriole, grosbeak, or catbird yet either.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Still snowmaking in May?

That trail to the right lools to be in decent shape still.

No, haha.  Was just saying that the snowmaking from all winter takes forever to melt.  

Yeah theres still a couple routes that go top-to-bottom for those willing to hike for it.  

Fun afternoon at Six flags NE. Temp started at 59 with a few peaks of sun that quickly faded and by the time we left it was 49 with light rain and breezy.  Only 10 minute wait for Superman and 5 minutes for the wicked Cyclone thanks to the weather.  Having season passes for all the kids is really nice when you're only 12 minutes away. Definitely  keeps them busy.

SLK down to 34F with unknown precipitation the past several hours. Something probably between snow and rain...or white rain.  

The summits in the Greens are now down to 32F so snow levels higher over here at probably 3,000ft+ up here while in the Adirondacks it seems to be around the 1500ft level.  

Forecast calls for a coating to 1" above 1,500ft later tonight into the morning with CAA and upslope flow.  Looking at radar there's likely going to be some light accums in the Adirondacks tonight.  

Maybe some flakes at Mitch's plot in SVT over 2,000ft too.

IMG_5810.GIF.79a1ce2d1d61f916e7768d350bcbfc01.GIF

41F here now, cold light rain showers.  Has an October-like vibe outside this evening with the dog.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Enough of a break in the rain showers for a hike with the pup.... temps falling up here, maybe some snow dusts the higher els late tonight and tomorrow morning.

The great melt continues.  The natural snow line has hit 3,000ft or so just for reference.  Snowmaking producing sleet-like ratios is extremely tenacious.

Now its time to "Shut 'em down."

18319404_10102977712686770_1342152422093

Looks like you can still let 'er rip on Nosedive.

48 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Fun afternoon at Six flags NE. Temp started at 59 with a few peaks of sun that quickly faded and by the time we left it was 49 with light rain and breezy.  Only 10 minute wait for Superman and 5 minutes for the wicked Cyclone thanks to the weather.  Having season passes for all the kids is really nice when you're only 12 minutes away. Definitely  keeps them busy.

We had a few options today and when I looked at radar we decide to go up to Brattleboro and beyond and ended up avoiding any showers. 

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Tell you what, at least in my location this stretch hasn't been nearly as awful as I expected. Crisp temperatures, but a good deal of sun each day.

"stretch" hasn't hit yet, tho -

That's basically today through this weekend... 

It's been discussed for days, however, - may be conflating the discussion with the advent, but that latter is yet to fully transpire.  The numbers look like highs of 48 or 49, with nightly frosts the whole week.  These may be offset of cloud vs clear sky some, but it's cold, this week by seasonal standards, and should that coastal elapse then check back in with us on how you feel then -

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Enough of a break in the rain showers for a hike with the pup.... temps falling up here, maybe some snow dusts the higher els late tonight and tomorrow morning.

The great melt continues.  The natural snow line has hit 3,000ft or so just for reference.  Snowmaking producing sleet-like ratios is extremely tenacious.

Now its time to "Shut 'em down."

18319404_10102977712686770_1342152422093

Surprised it's been melting so much, high was only 56F in NYC yesterday, and flakes were flying across the high terrain last night. However, the warm April probably ripened up the pack significantly. Didn't have many cold nights (10s or 20s) the first part of the month.

20 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe it was the 3rd? I forgot about 2015. 

72/43 at my place on 7/3/16.  Oddly, 7/3/15 was 73/42.  (And the 4th had 72/44.)  For serious July cool, 2007 is tops - 70/37 on 7/3 for my coolest July morning, 60/40 on the 9th (with 0.35" RA) for my coolest July mean.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

I think you have your ratio backwards. No hummers here yet. Haven't seen an oriole, grosbeak, or catbird yet either.

If/when spruce budworm returns in force, you'll have so many evening grosbeaks mobbing the feeders that nothing else can get in.  During the last outbreak (early 1980s), my dad counted nearly 40 on his medium-size feeder at one time, shoulder to shoulder, in Woodsville, NH.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If/when spruce budworm returns in force, you'll have so many evening grosbeaks mobbing the feeders that nothing else can get in.  During the last outbreak (early 1980s), my dad counted nearly 40 on his medium-size feeder at one time, shoulder to shoulder, in Woodsville, NH.

I have a handful of rose-breasted ones every spring. A couple of the females hung around all summer. I've yet to see an evening or pine grosbeak here. The evening ones are fairly common for C/N NE, no?

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

"stretch" hasn't hit yet, tho -

That's basically today through this weekend... 

It's been discussed for days, however, - may be conflating the discussion with the advent, but that latter is yet to fully transpire.  The numbers look like highs of 48 or 49, with nightly frosts the whole week.  These may be offset of cloud vs clear sky some, but it's cold, this week by seasonal standards, and should that coastal elapse then check back in with us on how you feel then -

Fair point.

Archived