Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to dig up the daily stats for my time on Bora Bora (no luck with global stations on Moorea, Huahine, or Tikehau unfortunately so I miss the epic rain on 4/11)

Hi/Lo/Precip

89/77/.15

88/79/.06

89/78/.17

88/80/.24

87/78/.12

87/81/.05

Average dews were reported in the 75 to 77 range.

51 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Still raining some but around 0.6" already.  9.33" since March 25th.

Yeah we never got the WF. But what a wet stretch. I think it's nearing 10" since that time too. Will add a lot more over next two weeks. Epstein rejoice.

27 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was able to dig up the daily stats for my time on Bora Bora (no luck with global stations on Moorea, Huahine, or Tikehau unfortunately so I miss the epic rain on 4/11)

Hi/Lo/Precip

89/77/.15

88/79/.06

89/78/.17

88/80/.24

87/78/.12

87/81/.05

Average dews were reported in the 75 to 77 range.

Only about 25-30F warmer than I was in Paris. 

8 hours ago, radarman said:

spent the last 3 days a bit north of PBI, blowing 15G30 just about the whole time which made 85/73 type stuff tolerable and pleasant, especially compared to the valley where we stagnate all too often.  As good as it was to get early beach days in and 79 degree water, driving around back home today with the blossoms out all around and the light green haze of new leaves reminded me what a beautiful place we live in.  The underrated foliage season.

Completely agree about the foliage.  It always astounds me how many shades of green there are.

19 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Ya, been socked in here all day with lots of misery mist.  Nice spring day....again. 

I want to move to Florida or AZ....cheap houses...cheap taxes...cheap gas....cheap women. 

Reminds me of an old C&W song about the secrets of life:  "Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money!"

(Singularly inapt at our house - I've never gotten along with horses, we celebrate anniversary #46 next month, have no interest in recreational alcohol consumption, and have never been entrusted with serious money and almost certainly never will be.)

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Similar story at PWM, 8.17" in that time.

I can't really count that though since PPT (NTAA) only had 2.20" for all of April. 

5.60" thru 7 this morning for that period, about 1/3" AN.  No sluicing here, but preferable to having 7 consecutive months (Mar-Sep) BN like last year.

Good way to start the month rainfall wise. Weatherbug puts me at 0.27" this morning but I don't trust that app for accurate rainfall amounts so it's probably at least another .10 of an inch. We surplus (been wanting to say that for years now)

1 hour ago, LSC97wxnut said:

One would think on a NW breeze, Boston and the rest of inside of 495 would have cleared out by now.

15 degree bust from forecasted by the NWS unless we get a late day clearing out and a spike in the temperatures.

Could be worse...Seattle AFD from this April:

170427133632-weather-seattle-nws-forecast-poetry-exlarge-169.jpg.c98bc8680bfa21155761b5f9ec7fc9ac.jpg

1 hour ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Could be worse...Seattle AFD from this April:

It's all about acclimation -vs- toleration ... 

Seattle's climate is notoriously wet ...sometimes worst for socked in than even London's rainy season.  Yet, over the last three years (or longer) ... perhaps indirectly related causally to the same forcing that perpetuated California's previous drought, they've experience a freakishly long span of months (literally) that features antithetic conditions to those multi decade/hundred year signals.  It's like they got a three year reprieve from their climate - probably long enough that the locals lose sight and perspective on matters.

So, ...now they are returning back to normal and we get frustrated AFDs...  Figures. 

It's no knock on them. It's no different than us getting a 2015 string of blizzards so chokingly deep in snow that for the next couple of years there's this simmering danced around attitude of injustice every time the standard winter returns.  ...Although I would argue that last winter was a little unusually boring and obnoxious in style, combined... Still, nothing too out of the ordinary, though. 

If we got three years in a row of no winters at all - or severally dented for averages in snow and cold say ... - we'd be jumping with giddy joy at a 3-6" solid upper Advisory level event. And vice versa.  Expectation is like a baseball - it's only as good as the last at bat...  

This is pretty cool.  So today has turned out to be quite the windy day in the wake of the cold front passage.  Here at school at least (I'm like several hundred feet up so its typically windier up here anyways) the sustained winds have been fairly impressive.  I pulled up a 22z RAP sounding for Waterbury, CT and it was really interesting!  Obviously some strong winds aloft but a lapse rate nearly super adiabatic up to about 800mb!!!  

windy%20day_zps7pcarbf9.jpg

Archived