Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dendrite said:

What a pounding in NW KS. Wish we lived there for today and only today.

Yeah, no thanks to that. I can't even think about snow this time of year. That's a word I don't want to hear until at least mid November. All I want to hear this time of year from mets is warm, long sunny days with a light breeze from the southeast. I guess we all have our biases :)

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Congrats?

lol lovely day. 

Low 40s with light sleet at the start that went over to -RN...makes sense as it was 41/24 at 11am, enough room to evap cooling some frozen to the surface.  On my hike I saw some snowflakes above 3000ft but that too went over to -RN as the warm front lifted north.

35 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

Yeah, no thanks to that. I can't even think about snow this time of year. That's a word I don't want to hear until at least mid November. All I want to hear this time of year from mets is warm, long sunny days with a light breeze from the southeast. I guess we all have our biases :)

Well that's a real deal storm out there....not 1" of slop on the grass blades. I'd definitely rather have that instead of the lousy wx we have today. If you're offering me 95F, breezy, and sunny vs that storm out there then it'd be a more difficult decision. The snow probably still wins though. 

48 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well that's a real deal storm out there....not 1" of slop on the grass blades. I'd definitely rather have that instead of the lousy wx we have today. If you're offering me 95F, breezy, and sunny vs that storm out there then it'd be a more difficult decision. The snow probably still wins though. 

Oh I definitely agree with you from a meteorological standpoint. Getting involved with a storm like that any time of year is very exciting, no question. I would just hate to deal with the cleanup afterwards. That's never an enjoyable task.

agreed on the impressions of the afternoon but ... the morning open sky and hot sun was a bonus/unexpected for me and that added quite a bit back. It made the rest of the way more like an acceptable compromise..

I'm getting the feeling that tomorrow may bust warm around SNE.  The 12z Euro's complexion was definitely a touch more aggressive with the warm push into the area, with that look of warm frontal PP already bending in southern VT/NH by 12z!   Meanwhile, right now we see an 'over-top' appeal going on with warm bulge already punching into NYS with what appears on visible imagery to be just a shallow cold air mass tucked down the I-95 coastal plain.  I wonder if it's warmer in North Adams to RUT than it is in Mt Tolland for a bit early tomorrow.  

A real winner today.  I'm pissed my heat kicked on.

High of 43F off a low of 28F...all afternoon was 40-42F.

Sleet this morning, then drizzle and off and on light rain this afternoon. 

Here's a shot from yesterday...starting to see some new growth now in the valley and the lawns have greened up vibrantly.

18193194_10102968427150060_6594857263834

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We connect 

Sucks I'm too far away from TreeHouse.  Trillium is on my list though in Canton.  Most of the quality stuff I'm getting is from Craft Beer a Cellar in Framingham.  I'll grab a couple 4 packs of singles to try.

33 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Sucks I'm too far away from TreeHouse.  Trillium is on my list though in Canton.  Most of the quality stuff I'm getting is from Craft Beer a Cellar in Framingham.  I'll grab a couple 4 packs of singles to try.

TH massive brewery opens in Charlton this summer. Make the trip and hit Trillium on way back or vice versa

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Or you know, SPC could just drag the slight risk all the way to HFD/ORH/CON. :huh:

Haven't had the chance to look at much and just looked a bit but I'm surprised at the eastward extent of the risk and by some of the wording in the outlook just west of here...mentioned tornadoes possible with any supercells and maybe even a few strong tornadoes?  LCL's looked on the higher side on a few soundings I saw and while good speed shear is contributing to large helicity, wind fields are mainly unidirectional above 850mb.  A couple tornadoes possible...sure but strong...idk.  Like you said, lapse rates aren't particularly great.  This looks like it does have potential to be a decent wind event though if enough buoyancy develops. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Haven't had the chance to look at much and just looked a bit but I'm surprised at the eastward extent of the risk and by some of the wording in the outlook just west of here...mentioned tornadoes possible with any supercells and maybe even a few strong tornadoes?  LCL's looked on the higher side on a few soundings I saw and while good speed shear is contributing to large helicity, wind fields are mainly unidirectional above 850mb.  A couple tornadoes possible...sure but strong...idk.  Like you said, lapse rates aren't particularly great.  This looks like it does have potential to be a decent wind event though if enough buoyancy develops. 

The hodographs are decent for a window this afternoon across NY/PA, and given the flow/shear strength anything that does start spinning probably would be strong, but a lot of that is dependent on there being discrete convection ahead of the main line.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

The hodographs are decent for a window this afternoon across NY/PA, and given the flow/shear strength anything that does start spinning probably would be strong, but a lot of that is dependent on there being discrete convection ahead of the main line.

Given wind field orientation and shear vectors I would think things become linear rather quickly.  Still could see some embedded mesos but I'm really shocked at eastward extent of the slight.  Best height falls and forcing remain well west until like the evening 

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

What's the best method to calculate height falls?

?? Just compare heights in a certain spot from 12 hrs ago. You don't need heights to tank, but in general I like to see them fall if we want convection in SNE since we need all the help we can get. I assume you mean in PA and NY though.

Archived