Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I also gave up a lot of carbs for a while, like rice, flou,r and potato.

Sounds like you were practically in ketosis. I was for awhile. It's weird stuffing your mouth with quality fats and protein and avoiding carbs...all bodyfat just melts off of you. 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sounds like you were practically in ketosis. I was for awhile. It's weird stuffing your mouth with quality fats and protein and avoiding carbs...all bodyfat just melts off of you. 

I still will eat rice and pasta. I'm not giving that up, but it's reduced and meal portions are smaller. Trying to workout a bit more too. I'm not looking for a quick fix, just a nice decline in weight hopefully.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I still will eat rice and pasta. I'm not giving that up, but it's reduced and meal portions are smaller. Trying to workout a bit more too. I'm not looking for a quick fix, just a nice decline in weight hopefully.

Agreed. Provided you exercise regularly, no need to eschew carbs.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Agreed. Provided you exercise regularly, no need to eschew carbs.

The days of my 20s and just trying to lift Volkswagens are gone. I'm happy with my strength, but I need to incorporate more cardio, with the weights. I hate cardio, but it's a must.

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Tip is always ready with the classy comment.

iMBY we got to 79F, but my crappy car thermo hit 87F outside KFIT on Rte 2.

OH eat it already ...

the conversation had a history and the target of that comment dishes it just as well - 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yes, ive been in Ketosis for a while. I have the pee sticks so i can monitor my ketone levels

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

OH eat it already ...

the conversation had a history and the target of that comment dishes it just as well - 

You do it all the time.  I don't know what your problem is but you generally resort to slamming a person's intellect.  Stick to meteorology and epic novels.  Stop being a dickwad 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Fight or flight. I fight, you flight.

Speaking of which...   There's a Heavy Weight boxing match today on Showtime.   Jashua vs Klitschko ...the latter of which is the former world champion of the WBA, IBF, and WBO. I'm not sure how the sport really does it's rankings but by "former" I assume he must have been deposed in the ring, of champion standing at some point - I think last year.  He's presently ranked #3 in the WBA and IBF but for some reason not presently ranked in the WBO.  

I don't care much for boxing below the heavy weights, and in fact if I missed this one ...meh. But I just remember growing up watching Boxing back before it was corrupted through the late 1980s with Don King's promotional hucksterism and scandals over fixing and crap.  Before that era, it seemed to even be a 'major sport' ...like the MLB, NHL ...Boxing.  Friday nights they'd air bouts like Leon Spinks -vs- Muhammad Ali (though I only saw Ali in the end of his carrier when he really probably shouldn't have been in the ring).  Little nostalgia there.. 

'Course, then there's the whole stigma about violence... ha.    

14 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You do it all the time.  I don't know what your problem is but you generally resort to slamming a person's intellect.  Stick to meteorology and epic novels.  Stop being a dickwad 

No ..you're personalizing right here with what you just said. 

This is just 'how you do it' and 'get away' with it. 

You were out of line, period.  And YOU do this all the time.  Stick to just weather obs and your own novels and stop acting like f content cop because your obviously biased against some users and your reads are wrong because you don't follow content streams.  

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No ..you're personalizing right here with what you just said. 

This is just 'how you do it' and 'get away' with it. 

You were out of line, period.  And YOU do this all the time.  Stick to just weather obs and your own novels and stop acting like f content cop because your obviously biased against some users and your reads are wrong because you don't follow content streams.  

I think past behavior speaks volumes as well. Not long ago you called me an azzhole and questioned my intelligence.  I read your entire exchange with Steve.  Arguing over humidity is fine.   Call people idiots if you want.  

Stay classy Ayer

Happy anniversary

Ashburnham and Lunenburg, Mass., were buried under 21 inches of snow, while 18 inches was measured in Francestown, N.H., and 17 inches was on the ground in Mt. Vernon, N.H. and Worcester, Mass. -- the most snow ever reported so late in the season and the largest spring snowstorm on record.

The latest pile of snow also brought the total April snowfall in Worcester to 21 inches, breaking the previous record monthly total of 20 inches, set in 1894. The Worcester Airport, which was snowed shut Tuesday afternoon, finally reopened Wednesday morning.

Other hefty snowfall amounts included 16 inches in Bradford, N.H., 15 inches in Glocester-Burrillville, R.I., 13 inches in Brassua, Maine, 8 inches in Waterford, Vt. and 6 inches in Lebanon, Vt.

Several schools in Rhode Island and Massachusetts canceled classes, and state offices in New Hampshire opened late. Both radio stations in Fitchburg, Mass., were knocked off the air and the snow was blamed for hundreds of traffic accidents.

At least one death was blamed on the storm. Placida Rivard of Claremont, N.H., was killed on snow-slick Route 103 in Newbury, N.H., when a car driven by her husband skidded and collided with another car Tuesday night, police said.

More than 180,000 New Englanders were without power at the height of the storm, including some 64,000 in Massachusetts, 60,000 in Maine, 50,000 in New Hampshire and 13,000 in Vermont. By late Wednesday nearly 100,000 remained without power and could remain so for days in parts of Massachusetts.

C-lWXnHXYAEFpb3.jpg

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

There's a new article out there...  obviously, in today's era of 'fake news' and 'alternative facts,' everything in media (regardless of media source) should be vetted. Suspending that for a moment, it espouses that eating saturated fats doesn't actually "clog your arteries" like decades of supposed research has motivated society into accepting/believing. 

Oh, here it is ...http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/health/saturated-fat-arteries-study/

The gist of what I gather from that is that coronary artery disease is more about inflammation in the artery, such that any mobile clot then risks getting entangle with that swelling, and then the two together causes a flow stoppage ... heart attack ensues.  

The article doesn't discuss it, but, I believe narrowing arteries leads to other organ degradation of function/ systemic failures, in general.  It happened to my type II Diabetic mother actually. She was getting rushed to the hospital in the throws of the night periodically with diastolic heart failure, and it was becoming more frequent - a sad time in our family with 'getting affairs in order' well underway.  But, it took a novice physician just out of Residency and Board Certified to suggest, gee, it might be narrowing of the renal arteries causing fluid back-up? The leading physician on the case scratches chin and orders tests and low and behold, those suckers were down to 5 or 10%!  So, they ordered stints put in and like ...6 out of the 7 issues she was on meds for, including the diastolic cardiac crap and hypertension ... gone in three days.  She still has the type II stuff but ..that's unrelated ... but the whole saga was enlightening and creepy. 

But, like I said, vet that -   ..I could see that being an assault on conventional wisdom by the pharmaceutical and/or general "Industrial Food Complex" as a response to the recent FDA guidelines about certain fats in foods.  This always seems to happen this way. Mandates that force sweeping changes that will ultimately cost industrialized processing et al money, ultimately cutting their profits...and no sooner, these prominent physicians and x-y-z experts pop up in the margins of life to offer a plethora of well articulate countering philosophies... So I don't know. It's up to us to decide I suppose. And, decide (and here's the evil part) between disparate sources of information while having only limited real education/wisdom in matters to judicially decide veracity.  "They" know this - they leverage our ignorance against us.  ..But I digress...

What's interesting about all this to me is that I keep coming back to the same sort of common denominator over time ... portion control. Regardless of whether we are discussing heart disease, over-weight, general health.. etc.  We of the relative affluent societies of the world simple don't know when to put the fork down. And by 'fork down' that means, relative to what it is on the plate. Example, one bite of cheese cake is probably okay (vet that).  Two bites ...heh, flirting with risk taking. Three bites?  You're over the top.  But, we eat SLICES of cheese cake.  Wrong.   Cheeseburger ... probably not as bad as punchlines have it, provided the cheese burger is one cheese burger, and it is no bigger than a couple ounces of meat (slider?)... and on and on.  But you can probably handle a large tossed solid.  Just spit ballin' around the theme of portion control here. 

It reminds me of one of those reality shows about the hyper-obese.  I mean this program showcased members of the 500 + club. They interviewed this one doctor; don't recall the specifics but he mused that he had a patient that once called him, crying on the phone in frustration how even though he modulated what he was eating ...he still gained 10 pounds in a months time. The doctor says what did you replace those food sources with, and the patient said 'oranges.'  The doctor hesitated for a moment and then thought to ask, 'how many oranges did you eat per day?'  The patient answers, "50."

I mean .. really? You eat 50 anything, you gain weight.  If someone truly has a glandular problem ... (and that stat is probably in a short 4 to 8 percentile), that's certainly unfortunate for that soul. But for the vaster majority of over-weight? Their cause centers in one simple core problem:  You can't have it - suck it up. ...heh, or in this case, spit it out would be more useful.

It's like they never grew truly up out of the flopping three year-old maturity level, where the brat in a square-mouthed rage can't accept that mommy won't let them have that candy in the pretty alluring wrapper while in line at the grocery store.  Kidding of course, but ..it's worth exploring it more as a psycho babble issue in my mind, like some unresolved mentality fast-forward into adult years; it's just processed with all the complexity and rationalism that keeps the person bangin' their head against the notion that the can't have it.  I mean hell, its axiomatic that stress and emotional angst causes people to turn to known comforts --> weight gain happens. 

Archived