Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Tough high temp forecast. I don't follow the guidance for clouds in general--it's a good way to get burned. I think the skies clear out early afternoon and that will coincide with a jump in 850 temps and the surface temp will follow with a nice spike through the 50's. 

The synoptics don't indicate "stuck in low level clouds tomorrow". Looks like a BD retreating from a warm front, and we warm sector for a bit before the clouds take over in the evening. 

Unfortunately, Augusta didn't get the message - cloudy and 45 at noon.  We've seen the sun 3-4 times, for maybe 30 seconds each.

I did. Gotta get em in. Big heat and dews coming late next week . You can't open windows in pollen season 

Last time we put the AC in the window was 2013 - CAD in winter, transpirational cooling in summer.  (And cloudy mank in spring, though last year it was decent.)

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Unfortunately, Augusta didn't get the message - cloudy and 45 at noon.  We've seen the sun 3-4 times, for maybe 30 seconds each.

I did. Gotta get em in. Big heat and dews coming late next week . You can't open windows in pollen season 

Last time we put the AC in the window was 2013 - CAD in winter, transpirational cooling in summer.  (And cloudy mank in spring, though last year it was decent.)

Wind direction out of the south, especially with a slight east component is bad news for much of Maine, especially mid coast - east, almost without exception. It's far more difficult to thread the needle up there this time of year.

ASH and CON still look to make a run towards 60 with the sun out and  850 just starting to really warm up now.

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Jesus H.  For someone who apparently loves heat you do love your climate controlled house.  And don't say the wife and kids need it...they'd manage a few warm days in April or May just fine I'm sure.  

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Same up here... rotting in the low to mid 40s under OVC.  Just got into the low 40s here at the office, while MVL is 46F in the valley.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Jesus H.  For someone who apparently loves heat you do love your climate controlled house.  And don't say the wife and kids need it...they'd manage a few warm days in April or May just fine I'm sure.  

The hills are usually pretty pleasant in the summer...I'd say on winter hill, there are maybe 5-8 days per year I really wished I had AC. Otherwise, those days where BDL is 92-93 and ORH is 85 are pretty pleasant with the windows open on the hill and a breeze.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

He did. Think about that. You spend months with the windows shut, and then just when it warms up, you stuff them in with a 10,000 BTU Frigidaire. Sounds logical.

lol.  

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think the earliest I have installed was mid May one year.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The hills are usually pretty pleasant in the summer...I'd say on winter hill, there are maybe 5-8 days per year I really wished I had AC. Otherwise, those days where BDL is 92-93 and ORH is 85 are pretty pleasant with the windows open on the hill and a breeze.

Yeah definitely.  Its funny when he made the switch to really going HHH all the time in the summer (from WWBB and Eastern days he used to troll people who liked heat) we stopped hearing about how the hills are always 7-8 degrees cooler.  I remember that was often a topic of conversation back in those days...how the hills had natural air conditioning.  Now if it doesn't happen at BDL it doesn't happen ;).

I have a large in-wall AC unit that is similar probably to Winter Hill...we use it probably 5-8 days a summer and really only from like 4-8pm when we do.  Just to take the bite out of the air when its those humid southerly flow evenings when even the mountain valley's aren't cooling off. 

I'd much rather have the windows and slider doors open with a breeze moving through the place.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah definitely.  Its funny when he made the switch to really going HHH all the time in the summer (from WWBB and Eastern days he used to troll people who liked heat) we stopped hearing about how the hills are always 7-8 degrees cooler.  I remember that was often a topic of conversation back in those days...how the hills had natural air conditioning.  Now if it doesn't happen at BDL it doesn't happen ;).

I have a large in-wall AC unit that is similar probably to Winter Hill...we use it probably 5-8 days a summer and really only from like 4-8pm when we do.  Just to take the bite out of the air when its those humid southerly flow evenings when even the mountain valley's aren't cooling off. 

I'd much rather have the windows and slider doors open with a breeze moving through the place.

There was a poster from NE PA with the handle "ptb1" Kevin used to always troll about liking excess summer heat back in the early eastern days. He def flipped...think it was around 2008 or 2009 because I distinctly remember him pimping so many faux heatwaves the Euro was showing and wondering why he was obsessed with Day 8-10 Euro heatwaves all of the sudden...and the rest of is history, lol.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a poster from NE PA with the handle "ptb1" Kevin used to always troll about liking excess summer heat back in the early eastern days. He def flipped...think it was around 2008 or 2009 because I distinctly remember him pimping so many faux heatwaves the Euro was showing and wondering why he was obsessed with Day 8-10 Euro heatwaves all of the sudden...and the rest of is history, lol.

Haha yeah that dude in Hazelton, PA that loved heat and humidity but lived at like 2,000ft so the hottest it would get is like 82-84F.

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha yeah that dude in Hazelton, PA that loved heat and humidity but lived at like 2,000ft so the hottest it would get is like 82-84F.

His Davis fails on heat in the summer so he sorta meh'd it. He could never hype his local conditions. Once he got the idea to adopt the BDL tarmac during the warm season it was a whole new ballgame.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That town is interesting. I went to school there at a PSU campus, andxit was an elevated town. 1800' or so. I became part of the elevation club for sure. Lots of early and late season events, including an awesome April snow event in 1998.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've always been a seasons in season cold winter hhh summer fan. From a young child 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

How does one just flip? Kevin, you are like a pants tent for someone like Dr Phil to analyze. Seriously.

I do think your opinion and likes can change with age...like I always loved deep cold as a kid, the colder the better.  Now, I just want it decently cold enough to snow.  15F and snowing is great, along with 30F and snowing.  It's the windy -10F to -25F I used to love but have very little passion for now.  

My opinion on heat has changed too a bit.  I dont mind the HHH once in a while and I used to hate it with a passion. But DIT loves the hype and getting a reaction and conversation going, so the warmer summer fits the view.  The seasons in seasons thing has taken on a life of its own...we are lucky to live in a part of the world with four distinct seasons, but often there's only two modes for some.  Cold and warm seasons.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I do think your opinion and likes can change with age...like I always loved deep cold as a kid, the colder the better.  Now, I just want it decently cold enough to snow.  15F and snowing is great, along with 30F and snowing.  It's the windy -10F to -25F I used to love but have very little passion for now.  

Same with heat, I dont mind the HHH once in a while and I used to hate it with a passion. But DIT loves the hype and getting a reaction and conversation going, so the warmer summer fits the view.  The seasons in seasons thing has taken on a life of its own...we are lucky to live in a part of the world with four distinct seasons.  

Things change with time, but how does one completely reverse years of M.O. in one season? :lol:    

Archived