Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

I personally am not afraid of fat. I think it's been unfairly demonized. I eat full fat everything. Stay away from the refined, processed, vegetable oils and sugars. It's those refined PUFAs and transfats that really promote disease. Read the ingredients and make sure the ingredients are relatively simple. Organic is nice for some things, but pick and choose your battles. If you wanna go the yogurt route I'd recommend the real stuff. Get the 100% grass fed, plain, whole milk stuff. Om nom nom. I won't stuff my diet down your throat though. Research some things and find out which direction you want to go. Some live by carbs/grains/granola and some don't. idk if you're looking to lose weight or something for a possible upcoming wedding, but maybe check out a short term ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. I like to change things up so that my body doesn't get stuck in the same routine day to day.

Very interesting thoughts Dendrite. I'm a pesco-vegetarian, and I fully believe in a diet that regulates the quality of the fat more than the quantity. I think the demonization of butter, cream, and cholesterol sources like eggs is overdone. Eggs contain many essential amino acids, and butter is far healthier than its trans-fat containing counterpart, margerine. As you say, eating high-quality dairy like locally made yogurt is great. 

I also agree with what you say about organic: for some things it matters, for others it does not. I try to buy organic strawberries, for example, because conventional ones have too many pesticides. Ditto with grapes. Ditto with potatoes. I also do try to find organic/certified fair trade bananas because of the impact on the rainforest of Central America.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest start to a diet is to stop eating fried food, eat small portions/snacks every 3hrs, and sub out sugar drinks for water during meals and drink water in between. That's it. 

So an avg day:

water

7am scrambled eggs, turkey sausage

water

10am yogurt/fruit

water

1pm no fried food lunch

water

3pm protein bar

water

6pm no fried food dinner

water

9pm light snack

water and sleep

Sometimes we dont have time to cook so if you gotta fast food it, just get the grilled sandwiches but no fries no coke. Water! Dont deprive yourself with weak breakfasts either. Bacon egg n cheese that biatch on a wrap but no coffee, water! 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As far as diet-it's simple.  Eat less food if you want to lose weight.  In order to do that more easily, minimize refined carbs.   Portion size is really important.   Also,drink coffee!

Yup. Eat nutrient dense food. Get everything you need with fewer calories. This becomes more important as you age. I've been finding that out. :axe:

Its actually sad imo. Its a reminder how ones psyche can be affected by all the pitfalls of life even with the world at the palm of your hands. In a way, this is close to me because I have an older brother who got in deep with drugs and ended up in prison. Not to Aarons extent, but It happens fast. We are the product of our environment and its not easy to shake ourselves from negative ones. Its very easy for someone with a great upbringing to say how can someone do this. But we are fragile beings who suffer. Most can get through it while some struggle. And if you dont have the proper support, that struggle eats you away. All the money and fame does not fix, it never will. 

My point is, we need to do a better job, as society as a whole, to care for one another. This goes from troubled home life to school bullying and to the streets. Theres a good series on netflix, "13 reasons why", is about a girl who commits suicide and why she did it. Its corny at times but the message is powerful. 

Im Tippy rambling now but things like this are deeper than a good ruidance comment. We should take a moment to learn from tragic events and help each other in any way we can. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Its actually sad imo. Its a reminder how ones psyche can be affected by all the pitfalls of life even with the world at the palm of your hands. In a way, this is close to me because I have an older brother who got in deep with drugs and ended up in prison. Not to Aarons extent, but It happens fast. We are the product of our environment and its not easy to shake ourselves from negative ones. Its very easy for someone with a great upbringing to say how can someone do this. But we are fragile beings who suffer. Most can get through it while some struggle. And if you dont have the proper support, that struggle eats you away. All the money and fame does not fix, it never will. 

My point is, we need to do a better job, as society as a whole, to care for one another. This goes from troubled home life to school bullying and to the streets. Theres a good series on netflix, "13 reasons why", is about a girl who commits suicide and why she did it. Its corny at times but the message is powerful. 

Im Tippy rambling now but things like this are deeper than a good ruidance comment. We should take a moment to learn from tragic events and help each other in any way we can. 

I agree with the post.  I understand the rot in hell sentiment but my reaction is primarily one of sadness.   When Aaron Hernandez lost his father, he needed intervention that apparently was not available.  As he went forward, behaviors that should have alerted a lot of people were ignored because he was shining on the field.   The end of a tortured life but don't forget the life he snuffed out-at least one.

As far as drinks Brett-water, coffee or tea, small amounts of your alcoholic beverage of choice.   Exercise is very important-I'm 70 and it's still a critical part of my daily routine.....maybe that's why I'm doing better vs many my age.....or maybe I'm lucky (most likely)

Been seeing some interesting birds around here. Not only has there been eagle sitings, but I saw some sort of bird I've never seen before while at the herring run nearby. It looked like a common eider, but it may have been something else. I couldn't get a good pic, but I've never seen this thing before. Pretty cool. I wish I knew more about birds as I've had some cool ones at my feeder.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Awful tick season. 

Pulled 4 off our dog this morning and she stays in the grass on a leash for only a few minutes with us . Then inside .Never in the woods . Bad bad year

spray the yard with flea/tick spray that hooks up to the hose and get a Seresto collar for the pup

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I had no idea and I had to drive right past the prison entrance in Shirley and was shocked by all of the media trucks parked outside the gate.

of course then I looked online to see what was up.

It really brought back some great memories too, since that is where my PTSD state trooper cousin killed himself.   :(

Archived