Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I know a lot of folks here are into healthy eating and stuff like that... so I have a few questions.

My eating habits have kind of gotten away from me recently and I plan on making a diet/lifestyle change.

What are some good meals to have? Chicken seems to be a popular choice... but is here any other meats that can be used? Also... what can be put on the meat for seasoning?

For breakfast I plan on having plain yogurt with strawberries and blueberries.... with some granola.

Basicaly... it's seems like all vegetables are in play to go with the meat portion of meals. I plan on doing some sweet potato... as well as basicallly all other common vegetables.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Most of what I've found is chicken related. I don't think it would be good to have just chicken for lunch and dinner

A lot of it comes down to philosophy. I've been on the paleo/primal kick for the last couple of years and really love it. These two guys are pretty good to follow. (Mark Sisson and Chris Kresser). I don't always take their word as gospel (you have to find what works for you), but they're a great start.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
https://chriskresser.com/

It's a much different thinking compared to what our government is telling us to eat. Basically it's going back to what our ancestors ate. Eliminate the junk, sugar, excessive grains, carbs, dairy, and eat lots of plant matter, fermented food, and meat (the whole animal i.e. not just muscle meat but the organs and grisly bits). "We" don't run long distance like Kevin. We sprint. We don't do chronic cardio and 100 reps of an exercise. We lift heavy for a short amount of reps. It's about shocking your body and stimulating it to grow stronger and faster..not break it down. And oh yeah, walk/move around a lot.

5 hours ago, nzucker said:

Bora Bora's nowhere near the Bahamas. And the clouds look much heavier than the Caribbean region...more like a backdoor cold front/sea breeze rather than the isolated TCUs asdociated with convection in the Caribbean.

I guess I should have prefaced that with, "...Reminds me of Bahama Blue sky..." for those that it wasn't obviously just a comparison -

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Glad we don't eat/have mindset that way

I'm just giving you crap. Running isn't bad and a million times better than being sedentary. I do think the half/full marathons are a bit much...especially when you're older. I just prefer sprinting over long dist running. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I'm just giving you crap. Running isn't bad and a million times better than being sedentary. I do think the half/full marathons are a bit much...especially when you're older. I just prefer sprinting over long dist running. 

No arguments there. I do incorporate some speed work in during my runs. Meaning shorter bursts of faster pace. That's how you improve times. I guess my point was if said person is trying to lose weight/ get in shape.. running is hands down the fastest and easiest way to do it. Obviously running a Mile once a week isn't what I mean 

I personally am not afraid of fat. I think it's been unfairly demonized. I eat full fat everything. Stay away from the refined, processed, vegetable oils and sugars. It's those refined PUFAs and transfats that really promote disease. Read the ingredients and make sure the ingredients are relatively simple. Organic is nice for some things, but pick and choose your battles. If you wanna go the yogurt route I'd recommend the real stuff. Get the 100% grass fed, plain, whole milk stuff. Om nom nom. I won't stuff my diet down your throat though. Research some things and find out which direction you want to go. Some live by carbs/grains/granola and some don't. idk if you're looking to lose weight or something for a possible upcoming wedding, but maybe check out a short term ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. I like to change things up so that my body doesn't get stuck in the same routine day to day.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sorry meant to mention you as well Kevin. I've actually began to incorporate some distance running into my weight training.... I try to get a mile in a few times a week as opposed to strictly weight training 

I'm pretty sure being OCD keeps Kev in shape too. Countless hours spent physically sculpting snowbanks, LESCO'd lawns, waxing the truck, etc.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I personally am not afraid of fat. I think it's been unfairly demonized. I eat full fat everything. Stay away from the refined, processed, vegetable oils and sugars. It's those refined PUFAs and transfats that really promote disease. Read the ingredients and make sure the ingredients are relatively simple. Organic is nice for some things, but pick and choose your battles. If you wanna go the yogurt route I'd recommend the real stuff. Get the 100% grass fed, plain, whole milk stuff. Om nom nom. I won't stuff my diet down your throat though. Research some things and find out which direction you want to go. Some live by carbs/grains/granola and some don't. idk if you're looking to lose weight or something for a possible upcoming wedding, but maybe check out a short term ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. I like to change things up so that my body doesn't get stuck in the same routine day to day.

Wedding won't be for a few years lol. I definitey would like to lose some weight.... but I'm doing this more as a lifestyle change, if you get what I'm saying.

I feel like in general, there is so much processed crap out there... it's been hard to ignore it. Now that I'm growing up a bit... I'm a bit more in tune to other options out there. My main goal is to just try to get myself in a position where this type of eating becomes second nature.

Do you have any advice for cheese products and dairy in general? I know you briefly mentioned the milk, does that apply for all?

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Wedding won't be for a few years lol. I definitey would like to lose some weight.... but I'm doing this more as a lifestyle change, if you get what I'm saying.

I feel like in general, there is so much processed crap out there... it's been hard to ignore it. Now that I'm growing up a bit... I'm a bit more in tune to other options out there. My main goal is to just try to get myself in a position where this type of eating becomes second nature.

Do you have any advice for cheese products and dairy in general? I know you briefly mentioned the milk, does that apply for all?

I have found I'm a bit sensitive to dairy products. I cut it all out of my diet and breakouts and sinus infections went away. If I have any cheese, milk, cream, etc the pimples spring up and I get phlegm in the back of my throat the next morning. Even the raw milk does it to me, yet many lactose intolerant people have no issues with the raw stuff. I think my problem is a casein sensitivity. I've been looking around locally for milk from A2/A2 cows, but no luck. Supposedly people with casein sensitivities handle that milk a lot better. Again, everyone is different so you have to see how certain foods affect you. I think that's a direction that diet will be trending in the future...customized diets based on your personal genetic makeup.

Aged gouda is one of my favorite cheeses. It's one of the best sources of vitamin K2 out there excluding natto (a fermented soy product). And yeah, when I eat dairy it's full fat everything. We have a farm up here (Brookford Farm) that produces/sells everything you can imagine. Raw milk, raw heavy cream, whole milk yogurt, kefir, cultured butter, etc. All of it is from grass finished cows. They've got pastured eggs, chicken, beef, veggies, fermented products, etc. For anyone up here I recommend stopping in off of exit 18 on I-93. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. http://www.brookfordfarm.com/new-page/

A few years ago I was eating tons of chicken, pasta, and bread. Everything I ate had a lot of carbs. I started swapping out one thing at a time instead of switching my diet totally cold turkey. Within a year my diet took a complete 180. The only thing I miss is coffee. It makes me way too amped up and I feel like ass after a few straight days having it. Despite that, I still crave it. Damn caffeine.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The one thing I really wish I could adopt from you is bed by 9-930pm.

Or earlier. No reason to stay up past that during the week. Plus you get up super early, exercise before most of the population is even up. Just you and the 3rd shifters coming home from work on the roads.. and the smell of nasty cigarette smoke emanating from their cars as they pass by.

20 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I know a lot of folks here are into healthy eating and stuff like that... so I have a few questions.

My eating habits have kind of gotten away from me recently and I plan on making a diet/lifestyle change.

What are some good meals to have? Chicken seems to be a popular choice... but is here any other meats that can be used? Also... what can be put on the meat for seasoning?

For breakfast I plan on having plain yogurt with strawberries and blueberries.... with some granola.

Basicaly... it's seems like all vegetables are in play to go with the meat portion of meals. I plan on doing some sweet potato... as well as basicallly all other common vegetables.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Most of what I've found is chicken related. I don't think it would be good to have just chicken for lunch and dinner

As far as healthy foods, I like steel cut oatmeal (though instant is fine too) with cinnamon and blueberries, Greek yogurt, eggs or bran for breakfast. Lean meat like turkey or chicken for lunch or dinner, brown rice, spinach, arugula, black beans (or refried), sweet potatoes, broccoli, salmon, edamami, etc. Baked sweet potato fries with Old Bay are the bomb. I also make smoothies with a handful of spinach, mango, frozen peach slices, pineapple and banana. If you exercise regularly, carbs are not the enemy. Drink tons of water.

If weight loss is part of your goal, I had great results last year making a spreadsheet and tracking my daily calories and exercise. I found my maintenance calories online (what I need just to run my metabolic processes) and ate that amount. Then I tried to be active every day; even if too tired for strenuous exercise, I always made a point of walking a few miles. That way I maintained a calorie deficit. In brief, I lost almost 40 pounds in 4 months, despite habitually making poor eating choices. I didn't deny myself booze or occasional junk, which made it pretty easy. The key was just being active every day and staying focused on total calorie intake. Got down to 182 pounds and my fitness improved vastly. I went from a 38 minute five mile run the first week to holding sub 6 minute pace at the end. Max pull-ups went from 7 to 18.  Good luck with it all and don't feel you have to deny yourself.

Hey guys looking for some advice on some places to eat and some places to go see. I'm planning a trip up to Maine the first week in October. I'm flying into Portland then going to drive to Rockport for a night then I'm going to Monhegan Island for 2 nights then I'm headed up to Bar Harbor /Acadia National Park for a few days then I'm not sure from there. I'm going to end my trip in Rangeley Maine to look at some real estate. Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

CURRENT SEA WATER TEMPERATURE:
+88.4°F

Is that legit? It sure feels like it when you jump in. No initial shock at all.

15 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I think my Google skills are fading.  Not having any luck tracking down a Bora Bora radar.

Yeah, I've been "forecasting" based off GOES-West loops because that's really all I have to go off of. They model can give you a hint at patterns (like yesterday's back door) but are pretty hopeless with precip.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Hey guys looking for some advice on some places to eat and some places to go see. I'm planning a trip up to Maine the first week in October. I'm flying into Portland then going to drive to Rockport for a night then I'm going to Monhegan Island for 2 nights then I'm headed up to Bar Harbor /Acadia National Park for a few days then I'm not sure from there. I'm going to end my trip in Rangeley Maine to look at some real estate. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if locals like it, but Otto's pizza is from Portland. It's all over Boston and really good. I recommend the mashed potato/bacon/scallion? pizza.

11 minutes ago, ajisai said:

I don't know if locals like it, but Otto's pizza is from Portland. It's all over Boston and really good. I recommend the mashed potato/bacon/scallion? pizza.

Otto's is pretty awesome. Portland Pie does a good slice too if you like a thicker piece.

Can't really go wrong in Portland. There's a restaurant for just about every cuisine and price range. Some of my favorites: Bao Bao for dumplings, Portland Lobster Co for a lobster roll (though heard rumors of a closing soon to build a parking lot?), Miyake for sushi, Grill Room for meats, Central Provisions makes good food and a good cocktail, EVO and Tiqa make good Mediterranean. And so on...  

Archived