Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

No...Stark would be more on S-SSE flow. They have to deal with Mt Cabot too. I wasn't really referring to downsloping though. I just think it's more fun being around N. Conway or Jackson. Better for SWFEs and the chance for some deformation in the big SNE snows. Probably better retention and more snow seasonally too.

I have to look at a map, lol.  I just assumed snow in NH increases as you head north, peaking up at Pittsburg area (with the exception of the downslope hole near HIE).  

On the fun part I get what you mean...you get more enjoyment out of the more widespread public events that see the hype and all that rather than a place that gets 10" and no one blinks or even knows about it.  You get involved in the more "regionwide" snow events.    Sort of like you get in the named Weather Channel storms haha.  

You also get used to it further north getting snow from storms or systems no one cares about or barely mentions on the Portland/Boston news and then when everyone else is getting snow you may not be lol.  

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I have to look at a map, lol.  I just assumed snow in NH increases as you head north, peaking up at Pittsburg area (with the exception of the downslope hole near HIE).  

On the fun part I get what you mean...you get more enjoyment out of the more widespread public events that see the hype and all that rather than a place that gets 10" and no one blinks or even knows about it.  You get involved in the more "regionwide" snow events.    Sort of like you get in the named Weather Channel storms haha.  

You also get used to it further north getting snow from storms or systems no one cares about or barely mentions on the Portland/Boston news and then when everyone else is getting snow you may not be lol.  

North, and higher.  Diamond Pond is about 10 miles SSW from 1st CT Pond and 540' higher, and in its 13 full winters of obs, they averaged 230".  1st CT averaged 138" during those same winters, exactly 60% of D.Pond.

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I really want no part of anywhere between I-91 and the Whites on this map.

IMG_1741.PNG

21 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Legend has it ... there's some deep ravine or perhaps outright hole in the Earth up near Mt Greylock in NW Mass ... right around the corner from North Adams.

It's a natural formation on the N slope from whatever geological processes, but, it supposedly has gone through many a-summer never having melted the snow that is trapped in the bottom of it.  Not sure if that means 'every year' tho -

The site is/was actually dubbed the "snow hole" ... 

Oh ..heh, I have it totally wrong according to Wiki -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Hole

I have been to a place in the Berkshires called Ice Glenn  that still had snow on Memorial Day.

I think it is in Beartown state forest.

I've got to make a decision about Monday - Sugarbush, Killington, Wildcat or Tuckerman's. I have a policy of never skiing Tuckerman's on Patriot's Day weekend but forecast this week doesn't look too good for weekday but not sure about whether it will warm up enough on Monday. That's an amazing picture for 2K. 

Just now, Angus said:

I've got to make a decision about Monday - Sugarbush, Killington, Wildcat or Tuckerman's. I have a policy of never skiing Tuckerman's on Patriot's Day weekend but forecast this week doesn't look too good for weekday but not sure about whether it will warm up enough on Monday. That's an amazing picture for 2K. 

That's what 2k looks like when there's still 88" on the ground at the summit...haha.

Lost 1" today from 89" to 88".

I forgot I never shared this from Wednesday. 

I did my snow survey on Mansfield and at 3,000ft I found 78" of snow depth.  That's the top of a 60"/5 foot core tube and its 18" below the snow surface.  That's also Tim Kelly's legs, lol.

17884070_10102940882280200_4778075006329

I got the most liquid I've ever seen in 6 years of this. 

Weighing the cores of those 78" was maxing out the scale.  It went all the way around the dial once and then won't go past the 2" mark (27" of liquid) a second time around.  There was more water in there and I'd bet it was near 30".

It is a very dense snowpack now...very wet and very solid.  Will take a lot of energy to clear this out.

17884551_10102940882325110_3201662099734

Take em up as Kevin would say...

Temps will be nearly 25-30F above seasonal normals as
H85 temps reach nearly +13C, yielding sfc temps in the low 80s.
However, some areas possibly do better thanks to the W
downsloping component away from the S coast. Therefore, am
looking at mid 80s in the mid CT valley and Merrimack valley.
Breezy as mixing should still draw modest momentum aloft.
Looking at wind gusts 25-30 mph

Archived