SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

My age. He does what I do. 

Wife doesn't work. Main concern is kids. Is the remote area conducive for the 2 boys who are going into 9th and 7th grades.. and if there's good premier baseball in the area 

It about as backwoods as it gets in New England.  I have a friend who taught at North Stratford school, for his first teaching job out of college in the mid 90's. I remember him mentioning that some of the kids were from Stark.   He lived in Colebrook and it was an hour and a half just to get to Littleton, NH or St. Johnsbury, VT.  Its isolated and remote.  The N. Stratford school had about 200 kids K-12

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

My age. He does what I do. 

Wife doesn't work. Main concern is kids. Is the remote area conducive for the 2 boys who are going into 9th and 7th grades.. and if there's good premier baseball in the area 

It's a good area to visit for winter recreation. It doesn't seem like the type of place you bring kids. That area doesn't have premier anything, except forest.

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

It's a good area to visit for winter recreation. It doesn't seem like the type of place you bring kids. That area doesn't have premier anything, except forest.

Lol. They are really unsure. My guess is he builds there and stays in TOL full time. Then builds another place in SC and when kids graduate split time between the 2 places . I can't imagine he's going to give up the thriving hills of CT for Appalachia 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol. They are really unsure. My guess is he builds there and stays in TOL full time. Then builds another place in SC and when kids graduate split time between the 2 places . I can't imagine he's going to give up the thriving hills of CT for Appalachia 

thriving hills, lol thats a new one

I drove through Stark last summer on my way to climb Mt. Cabot...northern most of NH's 4,000'. I remember thinking there was nothing there. I think our choice of food was pizza...we went to Berlin instead. Errol seems like a thriving metropolis by comparison. 

7 minutes ago, Angus said:

there is this interesting historical footnote too, http://www.newhampshirelakesandmountains.com/articles-c-2010-03-30-150876.113119_stark_remembers_former_pow_camp.html

the historical marker is east a few miles (if memory is correct) from the covered bridge. 

Yep, interesting stuff.  I didn't go looking for the marker though when I was up there.

I'm making an annual beloved golf trip to Cape Cod next Fri-Sun (April 21-23). I've never looked at longish-range models, but the GFS shows some unholy storm over New England about then. My head says not to believe that solution verbatim. But in my heart, it freaks me out. Any idea of how the pattern might really be then? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 7.11.01 PM.jpg

47 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The ens hint at something that weekend but regardless it looks troughy with a spring pattern se ma folks just adore....cool, clouds, wind, and drizzle. 

Thanks. It's been no fun looking at those 15 day forecasts calling for northeast winds sustained at 30mph with gusts to 50mph.

9 hours ago, 1985 Polar Bear said:

Thanks. It's been no fun looking at those 15 day forecasts calling for northeast winds sustained at 30mph with gusts to 50mph.

The eps disagrees with that. Still up in the air imo. Ive been looking at that weekend too for personal reasons myself. Should get a better idea after this weekend.

19 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

There is a 1000 percent better chance of finding Bigfoot there than there is of finding good premier baseball...lol ....so I do agree with you. In fact if Bigfoot was found there he'd probably be the best player.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, dendrite said:

Plenty of COOP data up there to compare to. Berlin...North Stratford...Lancaster...

Looks damn cold with decent snow, but a lot of nickle and dime stuff with some quarters thrown in. Any idea on his elevation?

I'd rather be 30-40mi S of MWN than N.

You think even 40 miles north suffers from MWN downslope that bad?  

Legend has it ... there's some deep ravine or perhaps outright hole in the Earth up near Mt Greylock in NW Mass ... right around the corner from North Adams.

It's a natural formation on the N slope from whatever geological processes, but, it supposedly has gone through many a-summer never having melted the snow that is trapped in the bottom of it.  Not sure if that means 'every year' tho -

The site is/was actually dubbed the "snow hole" ... 

Oh ..heh, I have it totally wrong according to Wiki -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Hole

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You think even 40 miles north suffers from MWN downslope that bad? 

No...Stark would be more on S-SSE flow. They have to deal with Mt Cabot too. I wasn't really referring to downsloping though. I just think it's more fun being around N. Conway or Jackson. Better for SWFEs and the chance for some deformation in the big SNE snows. Probably better retention and more snow seasonally too.

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Legend has it ... there's some deep ravine or perhaps outright hole in the Earth up near Mt Greylock in NW Mass ... right around the corner from North Adams.

It's a natural formation on the N slope from whatever geological processes, but, it supposedly has gone through many a-summer never having melted the snow that is trapped in the bottom of it.  Not sure if that means 'every year' tho -

Oh ..heh, I have it totally wrong according to Wiki -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Hole

Yeah.  We have mentioned it on here before.   

I was awestruck as a 12 year old to be able to have a snowball fight at the bottom of Tuckermam's Ravine in mid August around 1980 or so

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, dendrite said:

Looks like normal snowfall for these 3 run about 75-80".

Seems low, though that may only be false perception.  I think Jefferson and Randolph do a lot better than that.  BML was averaging high 90s from 1900-1950, closer to 80" for 1970 forward.  Wonder if their obs location got moved - I don't have long-term data for really close sites, but Hanover dropped 1.5" for the same split and St. Johnsbury went up 11".  1st CT Lake dropped significantly in recent decades.

Maine has several "ice caves", one near Allagash Lake.  The boulders amid the spruce adjacent to the NW corner of Deboullie Pond (30 miles SW of Ft. Kent) have held significant ice - and snow in 1996 - into July.  Have not been there in August, so I can't say whether any persists that long - and campers like me can shorten that persistence by harvesting ice to replenish coolers.  A mile SW of there, the north-facing talus slope at the foot of Gardner Mountain may be the eastern US champion for holding ice; researchers from U. Maine PQI found ice several yards down into the boulders that probably is relict from the last ice age.

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Seems low, though that may only be false perception.  I think Jefferson and Randolph do a lot better than that.  BML was averaging high 90s from 1900-1950, closer to 80" for 1970 forward.  Wonder if their obs location got moved - I don't have long-term data for really close sites, but Hanover dropped 1.5" for the same split and St. Johnsbury went up 11".  1st CT Lake dropped significantly in recent decades.

Maine has several "ice caves", one near Allagash Lake.  The boulders amid the spruce adjacent to the NW corner of Deboullie Pond (30 miles SW of Ft. Kent) have held significant ice - and snow in 1996 - into July.  Have not been there in August, so I can't say whether any persists that long - and campers like me can shorten that persistence by harvesting ice to replenish coolers.  A mile SW of there, the north-facing talus slope at the foot of Gardner Mountain may be the eastern US champion for holding ice; researchers from U. Maine PQI found ice several yards down into the boulders that probably is relict from the last ice age.

Nivation

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

There's a lot of QC issues on coop data in general...and most coop snow data has tended to degrade over time from the mid-20th century to now. I know Pinkham Notch used to be a nearly pristine coop site, but it has degraded since around 1980...often skipping a few events per season (including a couple large ones in 2007-2008 as the only days missing) which will def skew the snowfall averages.

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's a lot of QC issues on coop data in general...and most coop snow data has tended to degrade over time from the mid-20th century to now. I know Pinkham Notch used to be a nearly pristine coop site, but it has degraded since around 1980...often skipping a few events per season (including a couple large ones in 2007-2008 as the only days missing) which will def skew the snowfall averages.

Looks like some missing data for N Stratford, but not too bad for Lancaster and Berlin over the last 30 or so years.

Archived