Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Still snow at our golf course. This is about 750' in elevation I think.  One valley east of Sugarbush.  Highest temp I saw on the car thermometer was 78F

Yeah still patches here and there but they have gotten a lot fewer than there were yesterday.  My yard is now mostly clear except for some snow on the north side of the evergreens and plow piles.

River is running very high out back...looks like it just rained 3". 

I went to BTV with the wife today and the highest temperature I saw was 82F on the car in the Bolton/Richmond flats area on 89.  That's a classic torch zone with the deep valley between the mountains getting some compressional warming from wind blowing off any surrounding terrain down into that area that's only like 300ft elevation.  Funny thing was as soon as you got to the waterfront in Burlington the lake was really influencing the weather with the southwesterly flow off the water.  My car went from like 78F in South Burlington to 61F down near the Echo Center on the waterfront. 

Stopped into the WFO BTV to swap out some equipment that I broke while trying to take a snow core after a rain event and then it dropped to 19F freezing the pack into concrete.  They gave me the office scale as BTV likely isn't doing any more snow cores this winter at the airport or lower elevation sites.  I'm very curious to see how much water we've got on the mountain.

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Quick drop of in temperature now.  From upper 70's around 5pm to 64F now and falling steadily.  Light north wind.  Actually feels good.  House got hot late afternoon but closing up windows.  Probably an extremely warm evening south of here as the cold front struggles to move south...

Yep, still 75 here.

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Was def nice eating dinner on our screen porch this evening in shorts and t shirts

RIP J Giles

I was just old enough to see them live in the mid 80's then caught the House of Blues reunion. One of Boston's finest and one of the greatest live acts of all time.  I met J once, real nice guy.  My uncle used to hang out with him and Larry Bird (I know, right)  at a bar in Charlestown in the 1980's but I forget the name of it. He used to hang out at Bull Run in Shirley that's where I met him.   I used to hang with front man Peter Wolf fairly often at some of the Cambridge music pubs in the late 90's. Great story teller. 

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Next few days look springtacular'

Looks nice through the weekend. I'm just hoping we can bridge the gap a bit in April toward the more consistent warmth. Just give me west flow and sun and I'll be happy. 5F BN with sun this time of year is fine.

52 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks nice through the weekend. I'm just hoping we can bridge the gap a bit in April toward the more consistent warmth. Just give me west flow and sun and I'll be happy. 5F BN with sun this time of year is fine.

I agree.  Sunny and 60° is fine with me.

We did pretty well here avoiding too much of a mud season considering the April 1st snowfall.

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I agree.  Sunny and 60° is fine with me.

We did pretty well here avoiding too much of a mud season considering the April 1st snowfall.

It's been horrible here. Still mud on top of mud. We're getting there though. The puddles in the backyard went down a lot last night. We still have some snow to melt though.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Good buddy of mine just bought piece of land in Stark, NH. Said it's 40 min north of MWN. I'm guessing it's a sick weenie area for snow. Anyone familiar with the area?

They probably get some upslope, but the big synoptic stuff may get hung up from the Whites.

Plenty of COOP data up there to compare to. Berlin...North Stratford...Lancaster...

Looks damn cold with decent snow, but a lot of nickle and dime stuff with some quarters thrown in. Any idea on his elevation?

I'd rather be 30-40mi S of MWN than N.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Plenty of COOP data up there to compare to. Berlin...North Stratford...Lancaster...

Looks damn cold with decent snow, but a lot of nickle and dime stuff with some quarters thrown in. Any idea on his elevation?

Looks like normal snowfall for these 3 run about 75-80".

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's some good elevated hills around there it looks like...but I have to imagine the valleys aren't that great...prob similar to Berlin which is kind of a snow pit locally. They prob do a bit better than Berlin though since they don't get destroyed by the Mahoosucs on a NE flow like Berlin does. But overall I think you really want to be more up toward Dixville Notch and further north to get the goods on upslope and retention if we're talking about all areas north of the Presidentials.

Archived