Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm always impressed with how close your snow depth and mine at the base of the ski resort are usually very similar though we come about it in much different fashions.

This has been a good year for SDDs, with 2,697 thru yesterday.  Need 93 more to catch 00-01 for 3rd, 140 for #2 in 13-14, might land in the middle.  (And 1,138 to equal 07-08  :lol:)  That 21" on 12/29-30 ensured good snowpack against anything but a record thaw.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

This has been a good year for SDDs, with 2,697 thru yesterday.  Need 93 more to catch 00-01 for 3rd, 140 for #2 in 13-14, might land in the middle.  (And 1,138 to equal 07-08  :lol:)  That 21" on 12/29-30 ensured good snowpack against anything but a record thaw.

Crazy it was that good in 2013-14...I don't have many positive memories from that winter haha.

2 hours ago, metagraphica said:

69.9 already here @ 7:08am.  Toasty.

Wow, I'll have to check my sensor when I get back home.  Something is definitely wrong.  Saw my car said only 58 on the drive to work and a quick check of temps in the surrounding area show nothing close to 69 degrees yet.

11 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

first sunburn of the season...first seabreeze of the season...and man that seabreeze came in super quick and initiated a quick temp drop

I lived out in the N. Atlantic at the eastern tip of Cape Anne (Rockport, MA) for a year.  My experience of April into early June is that it really can be a matter of a few feet with those cold walls of air.  That first 67 F day in April that is calm, and then the flags wobble ever so slightly and it's 42 F immediately. I mean, literally, like faster than the standard refresh rate on a home station...  One day it was 74 F at 11:30AM and it was 40 F at 11:30:34 AM ...

Kidding of course, but the sentiment is true. Temperatures flip around some 30 or even 40 F at micro-micro scales along the that land/sea interface right at the shores, when in spring the water is ice and the air blazes by the sun.   

What's funny about that life and culture surrounding a marina-based locale, is that you really sort of give into it. The sound of a wayward seagulls complaining as they hover with the onshore wind, ...the smell of the ocean, boat shoes and lobster.  The whole thing of it is so disparately different than heat and convection in the interior, even our attenuated form of heat and convection that we get, that one just sort of forgets that even exists at all.  

You just become a salt like the rest of them.  I remember clearly when moving back well west of Boston a year later in early summer and it was like, 'oh yeah; that smell again'... 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

South facing slopes bare by 4:00?

The melt is starting... here's a photo from 1,600ft behind the office off the Sepps runout.

The streams and creeks are starting to open up and flow. 

There's a lot left though.  Still over 100" of depth up high... more like 20-30" down towards the base area.  Crazy when its 70F over this snowpack.

April_2017_1600ft_zpszzxmvfxz.jpg

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Shi.tty past few days.  Someone came into my barn and stole one of my lawn mowers, wet dry vac, folding truck ramps, heater, and a chainsaw.  Plus it seems that they may have gone into the house and taken some other stuff.  Most likely kicking the dogs out of the way. 

Kind of a bummer. 

nothing worse than a %$#*&^% thief. prob sold your stuff to a consignment shop for pennies, just to buy drugs.

Archived