SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the weather bug app on my phone and the text forecast does not match up with the pictorial forecast. Today the picture shows a high of 58 but the text reads highs in the upper 60s. Tomorrow the picture shows a high of 60, but the text reads highs in the lower 70s...

Tech fail!

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's about 50F in the high elevation (1400-1800ft) stations around here. These low 30s should mix out damn fast. Some may touch 80 today.

Talk about mixing out...

MVL had a low of 28F and was 31F at 7am...61F at 10am!

The ASOS has come up 30F in 3 hours and 33-degree diurnal swing already at 10am.

Yesterday was 60/19.  

Love this time of year.  Temperature never stays steady for even an hour...always going up fast and then falls just as fast once the sun goes behind the mountain.

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Torchy CON is back. 74F

74F here at MVL...might pull a 50-degree diurnal range.  

Already 46 degrees warmer than this morning.

More grass than snow in my yard now.  It's funny once it breaks through to ground, that stuff spreads like cancer as the ground absorbs the solar radiation.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

MVL 77F now.

I think we can do 80F.  

Mixing real well and it's 60F at 4,000ft.  On real nice mixing and some valley compressional heating off SW flow coming down the east side of the Greens, MVL can pop 18-20 degrees warmer than the summit.

Some high clouds moving through so not quite as bright out.

11 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

nevermind tomorrow's high temp, i am already busting on my call for under a high of 81. me fail, impressive airmass.

Classic spring dry air torch.

Dew here is 31F while we make a run at 80F. Feels like what I remember from some spring trips out west in their lower elevations surrounding the mountains.

Breezy winds and dry heat and good mixing....then the minute the sun goes away it's like a vacuum into space and all the warmth leaves as quickly as it came.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Up to 71F at 1,500ft on a solid two foot snowpack.

Still 21" at the stake this morning, and my instrument is less than 5 ft away from the stuff.  Augusta touched 70 at 1 PM (back to 66 at 2, on S wind), so I wonder how high my place will read, given proximity to lots of 32° water.

The critters are moving - two deer in the field above our yard as I headed to work, as the first patch of grass shows thru, maybe the same two I narrowly missed last evening.  Had to stop this AM for turkey crossing, and saw about 20 birds, including three toms in full display - 1st gobbles heard this year.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Still 21" at the stake this morning, and my instrument is less than 5 ft away from the stuff.  Augusta touched 70 at 1 PM (back to 66 at 2, on S wind), so I wonder how high my place will read, given proximity to lots of 32° water.

The critters are moving - two deer in the field above our yard as I headed to work, as the first patch of grass shows thru, maybe the same two I narrowly missed last evening.  Had to stop this AM for turkey crossing, and saw about 20 birds, including three toms in full display - 1st gobbles heard this year.

I'm always impressed with how close your snow depth and mine at the base of the ski resort are usually very similar though we come about it in much different fashions.

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm always impressed with how close your snow depth and mine at the base of the ski resort are usually very similar though we come about it in much different fashions.

CAD capital of New England there in Maine.

Archived