SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 1.17" thru 7 this morning, all at temps low-mid 30s; only dropped the pack 2", to 23".  1st April TS since 2011 last evening, 10:30-11, modest lightning compared to summer storms but respectable for early spring.  Also, 1st +RA since the 3" dump (with thunder) last Oct 22.  Rising water should run the ice from the Sandy River today - it was still holding this morning.

Today is surprisingly nice ... 

We seem to have caught a break by a sliver air mass preceding the CAA. It's not actually that unusual for systems that cut west, where the under-belly flow comes back around and it is WSW or SW at first.  

CAA tends to lag from mid April until early September anyway for a couple of technical reasons.. but in this case, it waits until the trough axis starts to pass off to the east. Tomorrow should be annoying... 

still looks like Sunday could start out a calm and cold and probably frosty in in typical climo spots...but, it's an interesting day for spring enthusiasts.  The sun angle is getting high and hot now and it will go to work in a light wind, no cloud, unabated radiation to the surface morning.  The day starts with a BL mixing potential around +1 C at 900 mb level, but...as the day progresses and the atmosphere turns over from super-adiabatic thermodynamics, the mixing depth will expand/rise to perhaps 875...maybe 850 by late afternoon; at which time, the temperatures at those levels is around +6 C.  The wind stays W...the skies clear...  

Probably goes above MOS guidance on that day...  Probably the first qualifier for a "top 10" day.  Late high temperature...  Standard adiabat for +6 C is ~67 F ... 

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We seem to have caught a break by a sliver air mass preceding the CAA. It's not actually that unusual for systems that cut west, where the under-belly flow comes back around and it is WSW or SW at first.  

CAA tends to lag from mid April until early September anyway for a couple of technical reasons.. but in this case, it waits until the trough axis starts to pass off to the east. Tomorrow should be annoying... 

still looks like Sunday could start out a calm and cold and probably frosty in in typical climo spots...but, it's an interesting day for spring enthusiasts.  The sun angle is getting high and hot now and it will go to work in a light wind, no cloud, unabated radiation to the surface morning.  The day starts with a BL mixing potential around +1 C at 900 mb level, but...as the day progresses and the atmosphere turns over from super-adiabatic thermodynamics, the mixing depth will expand/rise to perhaps 875...maybe 850 by late afternoon; at which time, the temperatures at those levels is around +6 C.  The wind stays W...the skies clear...  

Probably goes above MOS guidance on that day...  Probably the first qualifier for a "top 10" day.  Late high temperature...  Standard adiabat for +6 C is ~67 F ... 

I'm encouraged by the nice weather Sun-tues. Great weather for climbing at the adventure park!

5 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I'm encouraged by the nice weather Sun-tues. Great weather for climbing at the adventure park!

Due to the lack of acclimation to warmer temperatures ... even 70 in full sun is going to feel warm - imagining 83 F on Tuesday afternoon with that Euro synoptic suggestion (whether the machine numbers show it or not) would actually feel "hot" probably.  83 in full sun is quite warm to a conditionally unfamiliar society. 

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Due to the lack of acclimation to warmer temperatures ... even 70 in full sun is going to feel warm - imagining 83 F on Tuesday afternoon with that Euro synoptic suggestion (whether the machine numbers show it or not) would actually feel "hot" probably.  83 in full sun is quite warm to a conditionally unfamiliar society. 

For sure.  Last year we left mid-March sleet for our Hawaii-Japan adventure, and the low-mid 80s on Oahu were oppressive.  Next day there it was 70-72 with spritzes, fine for us but the locals wore jackets and ran their electric heaters.  After that, 13C in Japan actually felt a bit chilly.

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Had nice periods.... But overall wasn't that nice. Cold and showery. I for one, find temp talk not that boring especially this time of year when the backdoors roll in and send outdoor weekend brunches hurrying inside with screen doors slapping in the wind. 

57 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Had nice periods.... But overall wasn't that nice. Cold and showery. I for one, find temp talk not that boring especially this time of year when the backdoors roll in and send outdoor weekend brunches hurrying inside with screen doors slapping in the wind. 

Yeah he may have been drinking. Cloudy , windy and cold with temps in low-mid 40's,, and it rained on and off from 11:00 on and still raining and 39

Vermont people should come to my backyard if they want some real man snow to ski on. :wacko: 

There is still about 18-20" sitting in the area where we're supposed to build a deck before we re-open in a couple weeks.

I did snowblow our front lawn area so at least that's down to bare ground.  Can't wait to do some snow-smearing with the plow to reclaim some of our parking lot during the heat wave.

49 minutes ago, weathafella said:

One more day before we have a nice spell of temperatures.

it's kind of like the switch day ... some years feature these more so than others with a protracted painfully slow recovery rate.  But every so often your rolling along in misery ...almost so used to it you don't care anymore, and than in a single day the season flips.  I've seen that before. 

Back ...2011 or 2013 - I dunno - one of those yester-springs we were kind of having troubles maintaining a d warm vibe and then a wall of heat came on. I remember the Euro had the 850 mb 0 C line running straight north-south through New England; -4 C over Logan while it was +15 C at that level of Buffalo!  Yeah.. .lots and lots of parallel isotherms packed over a relatively short distance, and the heat was pervasive in the MW. It come over the top on a return flow around a high in late April or early May and it went from annoyng to summer in a single day.  

Nothing that extreme here, but...it does sort of mark a similar phenomenon on the charts in that we have a some thermal packing going from cold into warmth this time, tomorrow. Day starts at -2 C at 850 and ends around + 7... that's a huge recovery, and full sun and light west wind means that a chilly start has a comparatively very mild to warm finish and ginormous recovery day. Mildest night of the year so far tomorrow night?  Then we have the three days of positive departures to look forward...

I don't think - personally - the Euro's going to be too successful late next weekend with that thing. We'll see.  Those outliers can happen in the best of time though.. If the la-la's are right the ridge rolls right back in and that's just a day and half cold whack deliberately being engineered by the run because I made the impertinent jest the other day re the switch effect - ha

29 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Vermont people should come to my backyard if they want some real man snow to ski on. :wacko: 

There is still about 18-20" sitting in the area where we're supposed to build a deck before we re-open in a couple weeks.

I did snowblow our front lawn area so at least that's down to bare ground.  Can't wait to do some snow-smearing with the plow to reclaim some of our parking lot during the heat wave.

13" of paste.  Probably 1.5" of QPF...lots of graupel too.  Incredibly dense snow.

The snowpack is incredible...each week you think it'll go down and it just goes higher.

Now at an even 375" at this 3,000ft location for the season.  4,000ft has to be 400+ at least.  This has now surpassed 2007-08 and may need to go back to 2000-2001 to get to this amount.

13-inches-of-new-snow-at-the-High-Road-s

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

13" of paste.  Probably 1.5" of QPF...lots of graupel too.  Incredibly dense snow.

The snowpack is incredible...each week you think it'll go down and it just goes higher.

Now at an even 375" at this 3,000ft location for the season.  4,000ft has to be 400+ at least.  This has now surpassed 2007-08 and may need to go back to 2000-2001 to get to this amount.

That's key.  I wish I went up north today. More pics please. 

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow, passed that on to TK

Archived