• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

The sun has been dead, but a few days ago it rapidly developed a giant sunspot in the absolute most perfect position.  Of course nothing happened, but now that it has rotated a little further out of position it has belched out a whopping five M-class flares.  :arrowhead:

The first CME was a miss, still waiting for data on the rest.  Expect nothing or maybe some glancing blows.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, dendrite said:

I had my first ever starlings yesterday...4 of them. I'm glad they haven't been back. 

A woodcock has been using the melted-out section of roadside ditch in recent days - surprised our Lab when it flushed from about 3 ft ahead of her nose (on one of our 3 AM walks.)

Hey NE Folks,

Wife and I are spending 9 days on Lake Cobbossee (just west of Augusta ME) the last week of June. I've been there before but it was over 15 years ago. We plan on fishing the lake a bunch but also doing some afternoon trips to the coast. Based on location we'll probably stick between Portland and Rockland. I'm looking for recs for must try seafood shacks. We're not into fine dining. We like trying local holes in the wall and a more gritty feel versus fancy tourist stuff. Would also like to check out some oceanfront parks. More rustic and natural the better. 

Any tips would be really appreciated!

TIA

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey NE Folks,

Wife and I are spending 9 days on Lake Cobbossee (just west of Augusta ME) the last week of June. I've been there before but it was over 15 years ago. We plan on fishing the lake a bunch but also doing some afternoon trips to the coast. Based on location we'll probably stick between Portland and Rockland. I'm looking for recs for must try seafood shacks. We're not into fine dining. We like trying local holes in the wall and a more gritty feel versus fancy tourist stuff. Would also like to check out some oceanfront parks. More rustic and natural the better. 

TIA

dammit, I was going to suggest an amazing roadside lobster roll but the place is closed permanently now.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

In addition to your 13" the other day, what were the other storms?

I don't remember if there were any in between. I'm just recalling this 13.2" and the 16.3" (i think) from 3/14. That may have been it...I just pulled the 3ft number out of my pocket.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey NE Folks,

TIA

If your going to Rockland on Rte 1, Stop at Red's Eats in Wiscassett if you like lobster rolls, They have one of the best lobster rolls around and has been featured on the Food Channel, Depending on what time of day you get there, The line is quite lengthy, Its just a hole in the wall shack, Bring your appetite, As there Lobster Rolls have over a pound of clear lobster meat in them.

Reds1.JPG

Reds2.JPG

There is a Hot Dog roll under that pile of meat.

Reds3.JPG

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Red's is a tourist trap, but freaking great. 

It is, The place across the street and the name slips me as to why i did not post it,  Is just as good and less of a line.............;) There are a bunch of seafood shacks on the way to Harpswell and Baily's Island closer to Brunswick that are great for Fried Clams, Shrimp and Scallops and now i am hungry........lol

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If your going to Rockland on Rte 1, Stop at Red's Eats in Wiscassett if you like lobster rolls, They have one of the best lobster rolls around and has been featured on the Food Channel, Depending on what time of day you get there, The line is quite lengthy, Its just a hole in the wall shack, Bring your appetite, As there Lobster Rolls have over a pound of clear lobster meat in them.

Reds1.JPG

Reds2.JPG

There is a Hot Dog roll under that pile of meat.

Reds3.JPG

On the dude in the sunglasses?

GD that lobster roll looks good. Notes being taken. 

I'm a seafood head for sure. I'm an active fisher and crabber on the Chesapeake so my summers are loaded with seafood. I plan on eating seafood the majority of time I'm there. When I was there in the early 2000's we bought live lobsters from Cobbossee market every other day and boiled them at the house. They had a massive selection of different sizes. Looks like they are still in business too. I'm older and lazier on vacations now. I want someone else to do the cooking for me. LOL

42 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GD that lobster roll looks good. Notes being taken. 

I'm a seafood head for sure. I'm an active fisher and crabber on the Chesapeake so my summers are loaded with seafood. I plan on eating seafood the majority of time I'm there. When I was there in the early 2000's we bought live lobsters from Cobbossee market every other day and boiled them at the house. They had a massive selection of different sizes. Looks like they are still in business too. I'm older and lazier on vacations now. I want someone else to do the cooking for me. LOL

I've heard that Red's Eats adds nothing to the lobster but some butter - no dilution with veggies or mayo, and just enough roll to (almost) hold all that meat.  However, while I have a Maine bias for most things, crab is not one of them.  IMO, your Chesapeake blues beat any of the related critters I've tasted, from Maine to Fisherman's Wharf in SF.

As for parks, I'm not up on municipal parks, but for beaches there's Reid and Popham (as you may already know), the former also featuring nature trails.  If you don't mind going north of Rockland, Moose Point will be less crowded than the two noted above, and it's not much farther from Cobbosee - just take Rt 3 out of Augusta instead of 17 or 27.  Great Hikes at Camden Hills, too, though no beaches.  For a lovely walk thru the woods plus a small beach on the (saltwater) Damariscotta River, there's Dodge Point, on River Road in Newcastle.  It's free, though the parking lot is small - on busy days folks park along the paved road.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I've heard that Red's Eats adds nothing to the lobster but some butter - no dilution with veggies or mayo, and just enough roll to (almost) hold all that meat.  However, while I have a Maine bias for most things, crab is not one of them.  IMO, your Chesapeake blues beat any of the related critters I've tasted, from Maine to Fisherman's Wharf in SF.

As for parks, I'm not up on municipal parks, but for beaches there's Reid and Popham (as you may already know), the former also featuring nature trails.  If you don't mind going north of Rockland, Moose Point will be less crowded than the two noted above, and it's not much farther from Cobbosee - just take Rt 3 out of Augusta instead of 17 or 27.  Great Hikes at Camden Hills, too, though no beaches.  For a lovely walk thru the woods plus a small beach on the (saltwater) Damariscotta River, there's Dodge Point, on River Road in Newcastle.  It's free, though the parking lot is small - on busy days folks park along the paved road.

A MD crab cake done right is hard to beat to bad their not the size of lobsters lol. Catch them here so thats one of the only few things good about summer.

Archived