Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

5.5 hours into the ~8 or so total GOES-R training modules.

I'm excited about this new satellite, but those first 5.5 hours are a little dry. 

The next sections look a little more interesting, mesoscale and synoptic applications. It was kicked off by an animation (from the Himawari satellite) of a supercell in Bangladesh. You not only can see the evolution of the storm in 1 minute frames, but you can see the subsidence, outflow, and gravity waves sent off the backside of it like shock waves. 

Ocean,  what is the time frame that it will actually become operational?   Will it be centered east or west?  I guess I could look all this up but I'm lazy and its easier to ask you.  Can't wait!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ocean,  what is the time frame that it will actually become operational?   Will it be centered east or west?  I guess I could look all this up but I'm lazy and its easier to ask you.  Can't wait!

Testing and check-out should be done by the end of April, so maybe operational starting in May?

As for east or west, technically we don't know that yet. But most likely east, since that covers Tornado Alley, hurricane zones, and big population centers. But GOES-West could blow up tomorrow and change those plans.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Testing and check-out should be done by the end of April, so maybe operational starting in May?

As for east or west, technically we don't know that yet. But most likely east, since that covers Tornado Alley, hurricane zones, and big population centers. But GOES-West could blow up tomorrow and change those plans.

I'm going to be doing some modules (although different than what you may be doing.) They also have an algorithm in it for turbulence detection apparently. 

The learning curve is going to be so steep though. It's a total paradigm shift for most (all?) forecasters.

Satellite used to be a situational awareness tool in convective scenarios, mainly used in the pre-storm environment. But now we'll have updates just as fast, if not faster, than the radar. It's going to take some time to learn what certain signatures mean in a real-time environment.

My synoptic code skills are definitely rusty.

AAXX 28004 91938 01420 80421 10259 20239 30125 40127 55011 60294 79198 889// 333 20255 56999 58002

That stuff can go away at any time. But it does look like PPT got hit with a nice MCS today. That 29 mm fell in the hour preceding even though it says observed in the last 24.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My synoptic code skills are definitely rusty.

AAXX 28004 91938 01420 80421 10259 20239 30125 40127 55011 60294 79198 889// 333 20255 56999 58002

That stuff can go away at any time. But it does look like PPT got hit with a nice MCS today. That 29 mm fell in the hour preceding even though it says observed in the last 24.

Lisbon Portugal?

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sums it up perfectly. east favored in winter and west in summer. 

Actually, that's not what it's showing.  All of these gradations are based relative to the same geographic location total precipitation in 3- month periods.  It's not comparing amounts of qpf between those areas.

This cracked me up when I read it this morning... I immediately was taken to imagining some creepy science experiment where they spliced Kevin and Jame's genetics together and came up with a clone named, Charlie Baker, and then polarized the creation to be opposite:

"Boston (AP) - 

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker says he's troubled by the decision of meteorologists not to change their forecasts for Tuesday's snowstorm even after realizing there was a good chance the late winter blast wasn't going to produce giant snow totals in majo Northeast cities."

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This cracked me up when I read it this morning... I immediately was taken to imagining some creepy science experiment where they spliced Kevin and Jame's genetics together and came up with a clone named, Charlie Baker, and then polarized the creation to be opposite:

"Boston (AP) - 

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker says he's troubled by the decision of meteorologists not to change their forecasts for Tuesday's snowstorm even after realizing there was a good chance the late winter blast wasn't going to produce giant snow totals in majo Northeast cities."

This got blown out of proportion. The issue actually was more from Philly and NYC WFOs.

9 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Wtf??? Was that lightning or some type of new weapon that fires laser beams from satellites???

Unless that car was carrying gunpowder, it wasn't lightning.  It looks like a firework salute shell was lit inside it, then thrown out the window.

Lightning hitting the roof of a car isn't going to make that sudden dense cloud of white smoke.

7 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Unless that car was carrying gunpowder, it wasn't lightning.  It looks like a firework salute shell was lit inside it, then thrown out the window.

Lightning hitting the roof of a car isn't going to make that sudden dense cloud of white smoke.

I agree with the lightning part, not so much on the fireworks 

Screenshot_20170328-085134.png

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This got blown out of proportion. The issue actually was more from Philly and NYC WFOs.

perhaps, sure - 

but it sparked the imagination...like an Onion article.  That could have been turned around the other way and the tongue in cheek would have been "shocker: certain users of popular weather forum ..."  etc. 

17 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Actually, that's not what it's showing.  All of these gradations are based relative to the same geographic location total precipitation in 3- month periods.  It's not comparing amounts of qpf between those areas.

No comprende amigo. While not directly comparing qpf of areas, it still implies this...take our area for example. Our wettest period is aug sept oct while our driest is jan feb mar. Compare that to sema where their wettest is feb mar apr and driest is may jun july. that does not correlate to snow though, i get that. Im just saying that out west the wettest period is summer which makes sense, more storms and downpours that pump high amounts of qpf while out east had marine influenced air knocking it down some. in winter nw zones are colder than sema and winter in general has less qpf overall. but the closer you are to the ocean out east is where higher qpf can occur, snow or rain. 

no?

17 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Check out this: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01005013e022003curr.pdf

You can find that here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01005013curr.pdf

Highest I could see looking quickly was 24" in 12 hours for some AK zones (WFO ANC). Lowest is for Eek down at WFO KEY (and TBW and MLB) of 0.5" in any amount of time.

Thanks!!!

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Awful afternoon for the tornado chasing community.  I guess 3 chasers got killed when a chaser ran through a stop sign.  Tough day for a close knit community...

Awful yet careless. Yea you got a hard on from the funnel cloud forming ahead but act like you been there before....eyes on the road, let the cameras get it then when you can pull over, go ahead and whip it out. 

Sad but reckless, keeping it real. 

Archived