• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

That's a neat map, but it gets a little weird in ern MA. Is that 30yrs of data? I know it's based off of 81-10 data, but it looks like a few major events may have influenced the data. You have periods all over the place in ern areas  on the first map. In reality (actual climo) it's probably much less noisy. For instance in general wettest period is winter, driest summer...etc. But neat map anyways.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Who is Gil Simmons, and why would this person care that Kevin is out endangering  himself and others by running in the dark in the a.m. around snowbanks and into the road all winter long? 

No one is endangered. Wear bright reflective clothing . 

I'd say it's the out of shape non working out crowd that are the danger as they can suffer heart attacks and other poor obese related health issues while driving .

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ugh. 31.7F

We ZR. Was 30-31F all night.

Exactly the same here.   31.7f   30-31F  all night.   Temp is inching up now.  Started late evening as a bit of FR.   Didn't see any IP or snow.    Pines are sagging a bit and driveway is a sheet of ice. Dirt road looks fine since it warmed up yesterday. 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No one is endangered. Wear bright reflective clothing . 

I'd say it's the out of shape non working out crowd that are the danger as they can suffer heart attacks and other poor obese related health issues while driving .

lol Not sure who you are talking about, but it's not me.  Maybe I will catch you on the rugby field sometime in the near future?

Who is Gil?

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That's a neat map, but it gets a little weird in ern MA. Is that 30yrs of data? I know it's based off of 81-10 data, but it looks like a few major events may have influenced the data. You have periods all over the place in ern areas  on the first map. In reality (actual climo) it's probably much less noisy. For instance in general wettest period is winter, driest summer...etc. But neat map anyways.

well...don't you have to take into account those events too? I mean, they're part of the average....whether they were outliers or not. But yes, in a typical year it's not that varied. We do know that north east MA gets backdoored hard. 

20 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

well...don't you have to take into account those events too? I mean, they're part of the average....whether they were outliers or not. But yes, in a typical year it's not that varied. We do know that north east MA gets backdoored hard. 

Yep, it encompasses everything. But it's possible in a 30 yr sample you don't get a true climo feeling as well. You also have to see how it's QC'd. You can have bad reports make it into graphics if you just incorporate every ob and not double-check them.  For instance the last 15-20 yrs or so really has been generous with snowfall. But, I wouldn't really want to say that this is my new average. I still would like to look at the longer term to get a true feel. 

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Couple of things that stand out. You can clearly see the influence of the marine layer on summer Tstorms. You can also see how Nor'easters in the winter band and favor eastern areas.

36 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Does anyone know if the actual definition for a Winter Storm Watch for ALY/BOX/OKX is posted anywhere?  I've fond these sites:

https://www.weather.gov/okx/wwa_definitions#winter2

http://www.weather.gov/box/criteria

but they don't provide a definition for a watch 

Also, don't the criteria change depending on what part of the country the warning is posted in?  Isn't 3" the warning level in some southern states?

8 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Also, don't the criteria change depending on what part of the country the warning is posted in?  Isn't 3" the warning level in some southern states?

yes there is different criteria for each region.  Even around here actually.  For example, Winter Storm warning is 6'' in 12 hours for all of CT but 7'' for Litchfield County.

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yes there is different criteria for each region.  Even around here actually.  For example, Winter Storm warning is 6'' in 12 hours for all of CT but 7'' for Litchfield County.

Because that 1" makes a difference. 

Do you know what the highest snowfall number is for winter storm warning, and the lowest and which regions those criteria exist?

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Do you know what the highest snowfall number is for winter storm warning, and the lowest and which regions those criteria exist?

That may be a Will question but I would be interested to know tat as well.  I would have to probably think some of the places out west (like Rockies/Sierra Nevada areas) would have highest threshold and probably places south of the Mason Dixon lowest.  

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The computer must've had fun sorting the data, to avoid oddities skewing things.  Farmington's three wettest periods are all but identical and two driest pair likewise:

Avg precip wettest
OND;  4.46'
AMJ:   4.42"
SON:  4.40"  This is the map depicted max.

Avg precip driest
DJF:  3.43"  Map is on target.
JFM:  3.45"

Easy to see the interior's summer mx/winter min, though the foothills dabble in both coastal and interior regimes.

0.1" IP to start at home, then ZR with little accretion, and some recent pingers.  Now just -RA.

6 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Does anyone know if the actual definition for a Winter Storm Watch for ALY/BOX/OKX is posted anywhere?  I've fond these sites:

https://www.weather.gov/okx/wwa_definitions#winter2

http://www.weather.gov/box/criteria

but they don't provide a definition for a watch 

Check out this: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01005013e022003curr.pdf

5 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

You can find that here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01005013curr.pdf

Highest I could see looking quickly was 24" in 12 hours for some AK zones (WFO ANC). Lowest is for Eek down at WFO KEY (and TBW and MLB) of 0.5" in any amount of time.

5.5 hours into the ~8 or so total GOES-R training modules.

I'm excited about this new satellite, but those first 5.5 hours are a little dry. 

The next sections look a little more interesting, mesoscale and synoptic applications. It was kicked off by an animation (from the Himawari satellite) of a supercell in Bangladesh. You not only can see the evolution of the storm in 1 minute frames, but you can see the subsidence, outflow, and gravity waves sent off the backside of it like shock waves. 

Archived